Named Must Your Fear Be

I know, it isn’t always fear, and it isn’t all about fear.

But still, you keep on hitting up against it anyway.

One of the simplest ways I’ve found to navigate past fears that get in the way of…

… taking the next step, sending something ‘scary’ out into the world, finishing a project…

you know the kind of thing ;-)

… is simply to spend a bit of time writing, journaling really, around what it is that I’m feeling. What the nature of the fear is: what it looks like, feels like, where it’s lurking, what the thing is that you’re scared of, however big or small or daft really when you think about it… whatever its shape or form might be.

And once it’s written down: it shrinks.

Which makes getting past it a heck of a lot easier ;-)

I was talking about this on Twitter the other week. (Sharing fears-as-part-of-the-process is one of the most important ways I and many others make use of Twitter. Naming it as a way to get past it.)

One of the people I was talking to was @alisonashford from Mindful Journey. Her response stuck with me:

Say hello

Bring that good old fear up close, say hello, say goodbye.

And reminded me, in turn, of a song, which is now added to my repertoire of songs to help with the business of creating with confidence ;-)

It’s Soft Cell’s Say Hello, Wave Goodbye.

Shared here for your enjoyment and delight:

Oh and by way of PS yes, the exchange also reminded me of that fabulous Yoda quote:

Named must your fear be, before banish it you can

Comments

1. Tweets that mention Named Must Your Fear Be | Confident Writing -- Topsy.com says:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Megan Micciulla, Joanna Paterson. Joanna Paterson said: Named Must Your Fear Be: It’s not possible to live a life creative and not face fears on a regular basis. I know… http://bit.ly/hdaKJp [...]

2. Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach says:

I view fear the same way I view pain - welcome it to your heart, ask it to sit down and chat awhile, get to know each other, and then send it on its way.

Works great for me.

3. Indigo
    Twitter: sageraven

I think fear is definitely the one thing holding back many writers. I ask myself, “What’s the worst that can happen?” . It’s a challenge put up against my fears and more times than not, the worst isn’t something that will crush me. The worst is actually not trying and finding out one way or another. Which brings it back around to the old adage, “You never know till you try.”(Hugs)Indigo

@Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach: it’s a good point - we can become afraid of fear - that makes it bigger, and stops us listening to what it has to say, and to teach us

@Indigo: I guess it’s that knowledge - that it would be worse not to try - is what keeps us going, and gives us courage. Writing - and putting stuff out there - does take a lot of courage though. Hugs back Indigo x

5. Mei says:

Helpful post and great blog for writers/aspiring writers. :) Writing requires courage so the mere act of ‘beginning’ the journey is already a victory. Happy writing! I will follow your posts. :)

@Mei: Hi Mei, glad you liked it… I agree with you, the act of writing requires courage… over and over :-)

7. Mandy Allen says:

Nice to see a quote from Yoda - I love those especially: Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Happy New Year to you.

Enjoy the journey.

Mandy

8. Catherine Meyers says:

Your post about naming fear resonated with me, something all of us struggle and deal with in one way or another. I am reminded of Rumpelstiltskin once he was named he was dead in the water! Great blog!

@Mandy Allen: he does have a way with words doesn’t he? :-)

@Catherine Meyers: thanks so much for the Rumpelstiltskin reference! I think that might turn into a blog post some day ;-)