Creative Ways to Get Through the Middle of Life

Time for me to take the wraps off a new resource I’ve been working on.

I got to the stage at the end of last week where I was starting to a) redo what had already been done b) second guess myself c) want to keep the bubble wrap on for ever.  All of which told me it was time to let it out into the world, and then adjust and improve, if needs be, as I go.

Letting something out into the world sounds safer than launching it, doesn’t it?  To be honest, this isn’t something whizzy I want to launch, simply a resource I want others to be able to find.

I’m offering journal coaching and classes aimed at people navigating the midlife.  My definition of ‘to journal’ is a creative one, including learning and reflecting through taking photos.  The focus is on the benefits of journal work rather than ‘how’ to journal (there is of course no ‘right’ way).

Journal writing in all its many forms is tailor made for the midlife as it can help you to:

• Gain perspective on where you are, where you’ve been and where you’re going
  • Develop a stronger sense of who you are, what matters and counts
  • Tap into your creativity and the power of your unconscious mind
  • Be more conscious of the wonders of the natural world
  • Develop creative skills and techniques
  • Learn to be more mindful as you navigate your way through the midlife

To that end, if you know of anyone who might find The Mid Life Journal of interest or value, please do point them in that direction.  Thank you x

The Mid Life Journal

The Mid Life Journal: Creative Ways to Get Through the Middle of Life

PS I’ve also set up a FB page to go with it, currently looking a little lonely with just me ;-)

PPS Once I’ve got this bit out of the way, I might return to a post or two about how we launch creative projects into the world.  There are always lessons to reflect on, learn, and pass on…

PPPS Yes, I did notice the read across from bubble wrap and the note to self from the other week about emerging from the bubble world.  Funny how much we blog for our own benefit isn’t it? :-)

Comments

1. Iain Broome
    Twitter: iainbroome

Good luck Joanna - I know what you mean about getting in a tizz over launching something new. The go for it policy is usually the best way though, I reckon!

2. Tweets that mention Creative Ways to Get Through the Middle of Life | Confident Writing -- Topsy.com says:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jackie Walker, Jackie Walker and Todd Rutherford, Joanna Paterson. Joanna Paterson said: Creative Ways to Get Through the Middle of Life: Time for me to take the wraps off a new resource I’ve bee… http://bit.ly/ciFoRh [...]

3. Judy Adamson says:

Just to agree about blogging for our own benefit. I started my blog as a way to promote my greeting cards, but even if I were to stop designing greeting cards, (heaven forbid!) there’s no way I’d give up my blog!

4. Paul says:

Hi Joanna,

Always exciting to see something new being unwrapped, although ‘born’ feels like a more appropriate word in this case.

Coincidentally, I’m reading a new book called ‘How to Live’, by Sarah Bakewell that explores the essays of Michel de Montaigne, who the author likens to a ‘medieval blogger’ and ‘journalist’ in your sense of the word.

I wish you every success with The Mid Life Journal and look forward to being a part of the new conversations it encourages!

All the best for now,

Paul

5. --Deb says:

I used to keep a journal, for years, but it fizzled out shortly after I started blogging. I’m not sure if that was because the blogging filled that introspective/look-at-me niche, or if it was just basic time constraints that ended it. There’s only so much time in the day, and if I’m blogging about my day (or whatever), taking the time to sit with a journal and a pen for the more private stuff is just harder to come by … or, at least, it is if I want to get ANY thing else accomplished! (grin)

Iain thanks, I think so too. It’s one thing to work on a project ‘enough’, but you need to recognise when it’s time to let it go. Always feels better once the stuff is out there too!

Judy I know exactly what you mean, I think once you get used to processing your thoughts in this way it would be exceptionally hard to stop!

Paul ah, so that’s what it was, labour pains ;-) Thanks for your support - it has been making me smile as I’ve been working on this to see how many parallels there between exploring the journey of the mid life and exploring your career. Explorers R Us is what I’ve been thinking :-) PS thanks for the ref to the book, will pursue that

-Deb I’m the same actually, and I think it’s also because of the blogging outlet. But I do create a lot of fragments of writing which are not quite writing-meant-for-consumption, more half-poems or captured moments, often about what I see and notice outside of me as much as inside of me, and those are very much part of what I believe it means ‘to journal’. Taking photos is another, and I know I remember and appreciate my days differently as a result of going about camera in hand. I’m pretty sure you do too ;-)

7. anna says:

Congratulations Joanna! This is a great idea and the site itself is beautiful and classy!

8. Brad Shorr says:

Hi Joanna, Best of luck with your new venture - I’m sure it will be a great success. The Midlife Journal website looks fantastic.

9. Judy Adamson says:

About 24 hrs after I left my comment here I was in the throes of printing out far more cards than I’ve ever done before, for an important order. Very, very stressful! I’d had thoughts about a blog post going round in my mind for a few days, so I stopped what I was doing, wrote the blog post in draft and felt HEAPS better for it, calm and positive and slept well that night.

Fortunately, the people who read my post (the scanning-machine story) seemed to appreciate it too!

Anna thanks so much for the good wishes and the feedback

Brad thank you, here’s hoping!

Judy what a perfect example of writing your way through the middle of life :-)

11. Walker
    Twitter: walkerthornton

I’ve been reading your blog through a feed for a while and am pleased to see your new site.. I love the idea of offering journal coaching. I explore midlife for women on one of my blogs and can see that your new blog is going to enrich my experience as well and provide a valuable resource for my readers. Thank you.

Walker hi, thanks for the feedback. I’ve got lots of ideas for ways to extend and develop this, so hopefully it will provide a good resource for others. Already made lots of wonderful new connections - including with you :-)