Developing a Writing Practice

All That Has Never Been Spoken

I found these words as I was preparing for the writing retreat last week.

I shared them as part of my introduction to that week of writing and thought I’d send them out this Monday too, wishing you a week of flowing words :-)

I believe in all that has never yet been spoken.

I want to free what waits within me
so that what no one has dared to wish for

may for once spring clear
without my contriving.

If this is arrogant, God, forgive me,
but this is what I need to say.
May what I do flow from me like a river,
no forcing and no holding back,
the way it is with children.

Then in these swelling and ebbing currents,
these deepening tides moving out, returning,
I will sing you as no one ever has,

streaming through widening channels
into the open sea.

Rainer Maria Rilke

(Photo: Down to the Sea - the beach at Kingsbarns, by Joanna Paterson on Flickr)

Joanna Paterson

Journal and writing coach, teaching ways to notice and capture the wonder of the everyday, through writing, poetry, and photography.

Website - Twitter - Facebook - More Posts

No related posts.

8 Responses to “All That Has Never Been Spoken”

1. On June 21, 2010 at 10:52 am Hannah responded with... #

Thank you for sharing these words Joanna, I could really relate to them as I’m writing about things that need to be spoken and my writing is finally starting to flow .

2. On June 21, 2010 at 4:22 pm Jan Scott Nelson
    Twitter: JanScottNelson

Thank you for reminding me of that, Joanna. The start of the retreat was a whole, life-changing week ago. And the words are waiting within me still, but also flowing :)

3. On June 22, 2010 at 8:49 am Paul responded with... #

Beautiful poem Joanna, thanks for sharing.

Hope the retreat went well! :)

Paul

4. On June 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm Cath Lawson responded with... #

Thanks for sharing Joanna - I love the pic too. I really hoped to come on your writing retreat but I couldn’t make it. Will you be holding another? Will it be this year or next year?

5. On June 25, 2010 at 6:27 am Joanna

Hannah so glad to hear you’re getting to flow!

Jan it is wonderful to see the words starting to flow from you… not least as they seem to like coming out in poetic form ;-)

Paul glad you liked it - good to see you! Yes it did, thanks. Will share more… once it’s stopped percolating ;-)

Cath hi, still thinking about how to proceed… if there’s another I think it won’t be till next year. Will let you know.

6. On June 25, 2010 at 6:01 pm Karen Swim
    Twitter: karenswim

Joanna, this is beautiful! Your writing just continues to get richer, I love this poem!

7. On June 29, 2010 at 8:54 pm Joanna

Oh Karen if only… well, maybe one day ;-) This one is down to Rainer Maria Rilke

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention All That Has Never Been Spoken | Confident Writing -- Topsy.com - June 21, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Todd Rutherford, Joanna Paterson. Joanna Paterson said: All That Has Never Been Spoken: I believe in all that has never yet been spoken. I want to free what waits… http://bit.ly/ab1jgu [...]