Writing Practice

Letting Go and Letting Flow

One of the reasons I blog is to learn what I need to learn.

Sometimes I learn through the writing of the post.

Sometimes I work through an issue or a problem and then blog some of the things that worked.

But the thing about learning is that you need to act on what you learn, as well as learning it.

Writing the piece on 10 Things to Start and One Thing to Stop was really penned for myself.  It was about things I have learned and need to learn, things I need to act upon now I have learned them, things I need to start, and things I need to stop.

One of the things I need to stop doing, or learn to stop doing, is investing quite so much of my energy in the online world… including into this blog.

There are things I need to start doing, teaching, learning, creating and passing on that are about more than writing.  I need the space from here… my own sweet and wonderful creation ;-) … to do that, and then to work out how this blog fits into the what’s next.

I need to get better at trusting my own judgement, at listening to my own intuition rather than hanging on the words from the latest new item in my feed reader.  I need to get back to reading and learning with focus and intention, knowing what it’s leading to, and what it is that I’m building.

I need to spend more time outside.

I need to let go and let flow :-)

Which means…

I’m taking a blogging break, for a couple of months, to the end of March and then we’ll see what’s what.  I’ll pop some old favourites and links to the archive here and there to keep things fresh… but no new content.

I’m going to switch off online as much as I can, but you will still find me on Flickr… and probably Twitter on occasion too.  Some habits are rather too hard to break ;-)

You might also find me lurking on your blogs… and commenting too - commenting is the best bit about blogging and social media and I hope we don’t ever get to the point where we spin so fast we don’t have the time to do that any more.

That’s how we make the connections, the learning points, the leaps of faith and intuition, the encouragement to set out on our journeys.

Don’t let’s stop :-)

Joanna is a writer, photographer and journal coach who helps people to express their natural creativity, with confidence. You can find more of her own work including poetry and photography at Nature’s Fire.

PrintFriendly
If you enjoyed this post, please do subscribe to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

If you want to help spread the word, please do share the post on Twitter and / or Facebook. Thanks!

Tags: , ,

34 Responses to “Letting Go and Letting Flow”

1. On February 1, 2010 at 8:26 am Paddy responded with... #

see you on the other side joanna :)
    Paddy´s last blog ..here i am again My ComLuv Profile

2. On February 1, 2010 at 9:35 am amypalko responded with... #

I know you’ve not taken this decision lightly, Joanna, and I think it’s a very brave, very positive step you are making. Sometimes we need to create some space to step back, breathe deep & find clarity. I can’t wait to see what you’re going to do next, as I just know that it’ll be fabulous.
    Much love
    Amy
    xx

3. On February 1, 2010 at 9:49 am Mike Sansone responded with... #

What Amy said:-) You have my (and many others) support and you will remain in our hearts and heads. Plus, now maybe I can catch up to all you’ve created that I missed…another fantastic thing about this blogging stuff, yes?

I’m not “unsubscribing” anytime soon. Looking forward to the next WWW (whatever, whenever, wherever) you do:-)
    Mike Sansone´s last blog ..A "Mine" Attitude Will Keep You Underground My ComLuv Profile

4. On February 1, 2010 at 10:19 am Jan Scott Nelson
    Twitter: JanScottNelson

“I need to get better at trusting my own judgement, at listening to my own intuition [...]. I need to get back to reading and learning with focus and intention, knowing what it’s leading to, and what it is that I’m building.” Thank you, Joanna for, as always, sharing such wisdom. :)
    You are such a role model you know, an exemplar.
    It’s going to be fabulous, your journey! x
    Jan Scott Nelson´s last blog ..Now I get it! My ComLuv Profile

5. On February 1, 2010 at 11:54 am Hilary responded with... #

Hi Joanna .. good luck with the road ahead - there are so many ideas and thoughts we can pursue - and giving yourself time to mull things over, explore new areas, read more books etc - sounds so sensible.

Are you hibernating - til the winter has gone, by any chance? Enjoy your new process .. and see you around .. love Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog ..The Wigmaker, “Cottonpolis” and the first factory My ComLuv Profile

6. On February 1, 2010 at 12:25 pm Betsy Wuebker responded with... #

Hi Joanna - It sounds as though you’ve made a very mindful decision. Your time frame is sufficient to achieve a change in your habits, and to access a fresh approach. We’ll be awaiting your conclusions from this! Have fun!
    Betsy Wuebker´s last blog ..Laying the Keel My ComLuv Profile

7. On February 1, 2010 at 2:32 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

My dear Joanna, I applaud you for listening and acting , not always an easy thing to do. It is easy to continue on a road, particularly when it is so successful but much harder to know when it is time to take a detour. I will miss the posts but with all of my heart know that this break will be good for you. As much as I love your writing, I love you more and want you to be fulfilled and at peace in your life. You have my support and friendship.
    Karen xoxo
    Karen Swim´s last blog ..Smacking Down Resistance to Embrace Opportunity My ComLuv Profile

8. On February 1, 2010 at 2:45 pm Lillie Ammann responded with... #

I’ll miss you but understand and respect your thoughtful decision. One reason I have resisted Twitter is that I know I could spend far too much time on it, so I don’t even want to get started. That’s easier than stepping away when you realize it’s time to change priorities.

Best wishes during your hiatus and in whatever you end up doing.
    Lillie Ammann´s last blog ..Interview with Aggie Villanueva My ComLuv Profile

9. On February 1, 2010 at 3:41 pm Beth Robinson responded with... #

I’ve had to do that from time to time. And I’ve done it accidentally, on occasion, as well. Enjoy the time and I’ll look forward to what you have to say when you return.
    Beth Robinson´s last blog ..Top 5 Reading Recommendations from 2009 My ComLuv Profile

10. On February 1, 2010 at 4:29 pm Davina responded with... #

I’ll watch for you on Twitter Joanna. I think more bloggers need to take these breaks. That way *I* can slow down too by having less blogs to read. :-) In a way you are contributing to me easing up just a wee bit… Enjoy the letting go and letting flow.
    Davina´s last blog ..This Effortless Brilliance My ComLuv Profile

11. On February 1, 2010 at 6:16 pm kathleen responded with... #

We’ll miss you heaps Joanna - but wish you all the best as you explore and discover - and look forward to hearing where your journey takes you next! all the best x

12. On February 1, 2010 at 7:07 pm Danica Rice responded with... #

You’re the second person today who has decided to take a blogging break. The first is Jessica Faust from BookEnds Literary Agency, LLC. I’m sad to see you won’t be blogging as much as I’ve only just begun reading your blog, but I wish you the best in getting back in touch with your life. I look forward to when you pop back in again, but until then, best wishes… and thank you for the comments you’ve made so far. I’ll look for you on Twitter :)

13. On February 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm Lori Hoeck responded with... #

My break away from online interaction a year ago was great for me on so many levels. Enjoy the outdoors, the freedom, and the flow! You will find a wonderful and rich perspective that only such distancing can provide. Give yourself some time to decompress. It doesn’t happen overnight, but it’s so relaxing!
    Lori Hoeck´s last blog ..Dark side of narcissism abuses mind and body My ComLuv Profile

14. On February 2, 2010 at 1:04 am Holly responded with... #

Trusting myself is also a huge goal of mine in my writing this year. I tend to think everything is lame in life - including my writing. I write non-fiction essays and my goal is to avoid the “lame” :)
    I’m trying to put together a crit group, so stop on by my blog and let me know if anyone is inverested!

15. On February 2, 2010 at 8:10 am Naoko responded with... #

Have a good rest, Joanna!
    Naoko´s last blog ..[Copywriter's Chronicles] Toyota, take me home My ComLuv Profile

16. On February 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm Bo Mackison responded with... #

Yes, time away from the computer is a great healer. Staying connected with your photos - that will still be lovely. Enjoy, and be at peace.
    Bo Mackison´s last blog ..Chain and Links My ComLuv Profile

17. On February 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm Janice Cartier responded with... #

In developing a practice, which is what creatives have, as opposed to having a job, we have to have that space and time to act. It isn’t really time away, it is time within the whole of what we do. That said, I am smiling here and though, I’ll miss the posts and lovely things you write here…I am happily wandering with you, wherever you may go… This is private studio, this thing that you are doing… and I so get that and am happy for you. Delicious things will happen. Bon voyage. See you on flickr. :) Can’t wait.
    Janice Cartier´s last blog ..Looking Beyond Form My ComLuv Profile

18. On February 2, 2010 at 2:04 pm Ulla Hennig responded with... #

I’ll miss your posts but I look forward to meeting you on Flickr!
    Ulla Hennig´s last blog ..Another new adventure: ezines My ComLuv Profile

19. On February 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm Emma Newman
    Twitter: emapocalyptic

May your time away be revelatory, restorative and fill your creative well to the brim. Kudos to you for being brave enough to step back from something so successful to devote time to your creative path.
    Emma Newman´s last blog ..Friday Flash: The Delivery My ComLuv Profile

20. On February 2, 2010 at 6:21 pm --Deb responded with... #

Well, you know we’ll miss you, but wish you well! Enjoy the fresh air, Joanna!

21. On February 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Hi Joanna, It’s always wise to follow your instincts. I’ll dearly miss your refreshing online you, but you’re doing what you need to do, and that is far more important and healthy than staying in a comfort zone. Best wishes, and if you ever need anything or want to chat … you know where to find me. xox, Brad
    Brad Shorr´s last blog ..How to Optimize Images for SEO and Readers My ComLuv Profile

22. On February 6, 2010 at 11:29 am Joanna

@ Paddy, cheers :-)

@ amy, thank you, for your words here, and all your encouragement to help me find my path.

@ Mike, great to see you, and thanks for pointing out this is actually a spin-off benefit… oh yes, the chance to dip into some archives! I’ve just been doing that on another blog I love… found some real gems.

23. On February 6, 2010 at 11:31 am Joanna

@ Hilary, I think in some ways I am hibernating - or more… getting ready because I can feel the energy of spring coming. Thanks for your support.

@ Betsy, mindful, yes… that’s what I’m aiming for, thank you

@ Karen, as ever, your words come right from the heart… and speak straight to mine. thank you x

@ Lillie, thank you - I hope once I’m back I’ll be a bit more settled and stop generating so many things for people to read!

24. On February 6, 2010 at 11:33 am Joanna

@ Beth, thakns for understanding - maybe it’s an inevitable part of blogging? to be true to ourselves… our blogs need to change as we do, and sometimes we need time away from the writing and the reading of them to find that next step

@ Davina, glad to be of help :-)

@ Kathleen, thank you!

@ Danica, thanks for the encouragement - please do help yourself to the archives when I’m away too :-)

25. On February 6, 2010 at 11:35 am Joanna

@ Lori, well it’s been amazing to see where you’ve got to as a result of that break… Thanks for your good wishes

@ Holly, set yourself a powerful intention and your writing will never be lame :-)

@ Naoko, thank you my friend!

@ Bo, there’s no way I could stop taking photos… isn’t that an interesting realisation? ;-)

26. On February 6, 2010 at 11:40 am Joanna

@ Janice, private studio… yes, that’s a wonderful way to think of it, and it is how it is. Will keep in touch… your words and actions are part of this journey you know

@ Ulla, I’ll be around never you worry!

@ Emma, thank you x

@ — Deb, won’t be too far away… might just pop up at a blog near you some time soon :-)

@ Brad, thanks for understanding. I read something the other day that the relationships continue even if the blog changes or ends… and that’s how it is for me. The friendships and networks I’ve built up through this blog will not change. Somehow that makes it easier to develop new possibilities and take time to think about what to do with this place… I know the deep ties will last whatever and wherever I go.

27. On February 15, 2010 at 9:45 pm Debbie Yost responded with... #

I know just how you feel. It’s easy to get caught up in the obligation of blogging for others and doing what everyone tells us we need to do in order to be successful. However, sometimes we just need to step back and think about why we blog and what we want, regardless of what the “powers that be” say. I started blogging following all the rules I could find: set schedule, don’t miss if you’re not of vacation, comment, comment, comment. But now I just have to do what works for me. Enjoy your break. :-)
    Debbie Yost´s last blog ..Hi, May I Help You? My ComLuv Profile

28. On February 17, 2010 at 7:53 am Joanna

Debbie, doing what works for you is sound advice. It’s what I tell others. Need to apply lessons to self :-)

29. On February 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm Hilda responded with... #

Hi Joanna,

I was on holidays when you posted this, and I’m still catching up. I totally agree with you - it’s important to take breaks so we can be really clear if we still want to do what we do, and if so to come back to it with a new appreciation.

Enjoy your time off :-)
    Hilda´s last blog ..What abundance looks like My ComLuv Profile

30. On March 1, 2010 at 8:05 am Joanna

Hilda, thank you for that perspective - I like the way you’ve put it, the need “to take breaks so we can be really clear if we still want to do what we do, and if so to come back to it with a new appreciation” - it leaves the door wide open to return to, or decide to close, with a clear mind either way

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. uberVU - social comments - February 2, 2010

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by ILoveAuthors: RT @joannayoung - Letting Go and Letting Flow: One of the reasons I blog is to learn what I need to learn. Sometim… http://bit.ly/bFNfCN...

2. Tweets that mention Letting Go and Letting Flow | Confident Writing -- Topsy.com - February 3, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mike Sansone, Jackie Walker and Jan Scott Nelson, Melissa D. Lierman. Melissa D. Lierman said: RT @joannayoung - Letting Go and Letting Flow: One of the reasons I blog is to learn what I need to learn. Sometim… http://bit.ly/bFNfCN [...]

3. 28 Day Challenge | YuriArtibise.com - February 16, 2010

[...] by Zemanta10 Ways to Build Social Media Expertise Using Personal Web Projects (blogs.hbr.org)Letting Go and Letting Flow (confidentwriting.com)Leverage What You Have and Take Your Blog to the Next Level (problogger.net) [...]

4. Women who blog successfully 2 | Accumulator of desired abundance - February 23, 2010

[...] Letting Go and Letting Flow [...]