Classes and Creative Spaces

Coaching Questions from the Season: the Essence of Fall

Autumn is revealing herself in all her glory in Scotland just now.

I can’t help but notice, wonder, pay attention… and also look for patterns, meaning, and significance.

Uploading photos from the weekend I had the idea to share some questions that are inspired by the change in the season.

It’s an experiment… do let me know how it works.  And if there are any responses to the questions in relation to your own writing that you’d like to share, the comment box is ready and waiting for you ;-)

~~~

Where does the strength lie in your words?

What patterns can you see?

How is the seed revealing itself?

Where is the colour, and how can you add more of it?

What do you need to finish before the season turns?

What do you want to let go of?

Whether that’s an old story, habits that don’t work any more, fears that are standing in your way, the clutter of words that are disguising what you really want to say… what can you allow to fall?

~~~

As a postscript, if one of the things you want to let fall is a fear of sharing some of your work, here’s something that might help.  Amy Palko has just launched an online creativity circle providing a supportive environment to share something creative.  It doesn’t have to be writing - could be photos, something you’ve made, a collage - only limit is your imagination!  You can find out more here: Do You Dare?

PPS If you’re interested in 1:1 coaching with me you can find out more about how it works and how you can sign up here

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “Coaching Questions from the Season: the Essence of Fall”

1. On October 20, 2009 at 2:54 pm Alex Lim responded with... #

Great photos Joanna, you have captured nature’s creativity. I’m really a fan of nature’s beauty and complexity. As fall depicts lots of meaning which could be related to life, I’m reminded that every ending comes with a new and refreshed beginning. It is like a great chance to start again, writing your first letter in a blank slate once more. Yet, this time, more experienced and careful enough to avoid any mistakes which are bound to be erased. Although fall for me means a gradual ending, this comes with enough time to reminisce the past season and realize the life spent over some period of time.
    Alex Lim´s last blog ..Working Hard Building An Email List… Now What? My ComLuv Profile

2. On October 21, 2009 at 1:13 am kathleen responded with... #

Thanks for sharing those beautiful photographs..and for the reminder of how important it is to live in harmony with the seasons - both in nature, and in life. We’re enjoying spring here in New Zealand so our thoughts are of growth, light and new beginnings. You’ve prompted me to take a closer look at what is going around me, and to take inspiration from nature’s patterns. Thank you :-)

3. On October 21, 2009 at 8:15 am Joanna

Alex thank you for sharing those reflections - you’re right about the time we get at this time of year… it provides the chance to look back (and forward) in a peaceful way. I think it’s one of the reasons I so love this time of year

kathleen well, it’s a lesson I’m gradually learning… ;-) I’m sorry for excluding you from the season - it’s one of the challenges of writing for people in different parts of the world, but thank you for taking and applying the underlying point which is the taking of the closer look, and finding inspiration from the patterns round about us. Oh, and enjoy the wonder of spring!

4. On October 21, 2009 at 11:45 am Karen Swim responded with... #

Joanna, what an inspired use of the season to obtain writing breakthroughs. The coaching questions are great and I plan on spending some time thinking through them and writing down my answers. The last one has really been on my mind of late and your tie-in to fall frames it in a new way. Thanks Joanna!
    Karen Swim´s last blog ..Fruity Marketing Lessons My ComLuv Profile

5. On October 22, 2009 at 5:45 pm Sara Healy responded with... #

Joanna — This post was a lovely way to visually approach these deep questions. I loved the idea of fall being a time to re-think my writing. It was also well timed for me because that’s something I’ve been doing. I’ve copied these questions and plan to spend some time with them, letting the answers drift up intuitively, if I can.

Thanks for this post:~)
    Sara Healy´s last blog ..New Blog Header Revealed My ComLuv Profile

6. On October 25, 2009 at 9:10 am Joanna

Karen thank you :-) I was learning from trees just as you were learning from fruit :-) I’ve been so struck this season by how gently and peacefully nature allows things to fall - what a contrast with how we fret and resist them! (yes, I am listening and learning from you)

Sara thank so much for the feedback. I can see from your blog that you enjoy the interaction of images and words and how we learn through images… it’s something I’m trying to incorporate into how I learn (and teach) too. I hope you enjoy spending some quiet time with these questions

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 10 happy questions - October 19, 2009

[...] (post script on october 19 - there is a fabulous companion post about this topic on joanna young’s blog - coaching questions of the season) [...]

2. Chanda Mama, Beatrix and a Palanquin | Janice Cartier - November 7, 2009

[...] So I now need to get a Beatrix Kiddo figure for Sonia, who just gets out there and goes punch punch punch, and something magical as my Scottish Joanna who would probably know what that Chanda Mama palanquin is. She’s brilliant with words and getting to what matters and look at her gorgeous photographs. [...]