Snippets

Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Talk about the language of possibility!

Then, now, still.

~~~

Happy 4th July to all my readers in the U.S. :-)

Tags:

8 Responses to “Declaration of Independence”

1. On July 3, 2009 at 11:50 am Brad Shorr responded with... #

Joanna, Your writing skills have hit an all time high. :) Thank you for highlighting the July 4th spirit today. It is a holiday of great significance and joy to us here in the States.
    Brad Shorr´s last blog ..What 5 Little Things Make You Happy? My ComLuv Profile

2. On July 3, 2009 at 7:26 pm Kathy | Virtual Impax responded with... #

The entire Delcaration of Independence is a work of literary ART!!!

I am especially moved by powerful close of this inspirational document:

“And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.”

Kathy | Virtual Impax´s last blog ..Business Building Secret: People are actually pretty smart… My ComLuv Profile

3. On July 4, 2009 at 7:24 am Catherine Wentworth responded with... #

Joanna, and a happy 4th of July to you too!

The American Declaration of Independence is indeed a beautifully written piece. Nice.
    Catherine Wentworth´s last blog ..A Year’s Worth of Women Learning Thai… and Some Men Too ;-) My ComLuv Profile

4. On July 4, 2009 at 10:52 pm Miguel | Simply Blog responded with... #

Thankyou! Right back at you. Enjoy it, as we remember all those that made it and continue to make it possible. :)

-Mig
    Miguel | Simply Blog´s last blog ..What is Remarkable Blog Content? My ComLuv Profile

5. On July 5, 2009 at 11:29 am Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach responded with... #

You know what I wish?

This part:

“Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”

was actually followed…and not a big huge concern of everyone else. IE, many people instead follow: “You can have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness so long as it’s the kind of life, liberty and happiness of which I approve.”

Tolerance…it has a long way to go.
    Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach´s last blog ..What Income Fitness is NOT Part II My ComLuv Profile

6. On July 5, 2009 at 2:10 pm Tumblemoose responded with... #

Hi Joanna, and thanks for the kind words for the holiday.

Cheers!

George
    Tumblemoose´s last blog ..Inspired Writing for any Writing Project My ComLuv Profile

7. On July 7, 2009 at 8:47 am Wilson Pon responded with... #

Joanna, your words reminding me about the patriotic Martin Luther King’s famous speech, “I have a dream…”

8. On July 7, 2009 at 9:01 am Joanna

I hope you all enjoyed the holiday weekend :-)

@Barbara, I hear you. In an ideal world tolerance would be something we could take for granted and enjoy - it’s a way of accepting and letting be, after all. But in a less than ideal world it’s something we need to continue to assert and protect and lay claim to.

@wilson, indeed - they point to something that seems impossible, but is a picture painted so vividly and with such conviction that it becomes a truth, something that people can believe, and therefore make happen.