Snippets

Time to Get Down to Some Writing

This breathing space has been good, hasn’t it?

I’m going to take just a little more of it - another week - then it’s time to get down to some serious work.  Including some serious writing :-)

I’m making some headway at last on the memoir writing I’m doing as I learn the art and the craft of not just writing but also teaching it.  (Lesson learned: experiment with form and style until you find what works.)

There’s a second book on writing I want to finish by the autumn, so it’s ready for publication in 2010… following on from this year’s offering, 199 Ways to Write With Confidence, which I hope will be out by the end of July 2009.

I’ve been revamping the coaching, teaching and classes I offer too, not least to make room for the new services to help with memoir writing.

Well, I’m calling it LifeWriting: Memoir and other forms, because I want to leave room for those of you who are just starting to explore writing from life (and writing for life) and not necessarily wanting to create a memoir.

I also found (from personal experience) that the memoir label can be off-putting - one of those burden of expectations labels - and that the freedom to play and experiment can be a more effective way of tapping into those memories and finding ways of turning them into words…. that work for you.

And last but far from least, I’m offering a new Confident Writing mentor group, to provide a small group setting (through a teleclass) to provide mutual support, feedback, encouragement, practical suggestions and some accountability mechanisms to help you achieve your writing goals in 2009.

I’m starting with a free coaching call at the end of this month, on June 30.  Perhaps aptly enough… marking the last day of my self-imposed breathing space ;-)

The call is free partly to give you a chance, if you want it, to try out a bit of coaching with me… and also for me to do a test of the technical side of things before I launch into the classes proper. So if you join in you’ll be helping me out :-)

I’ve created sign up pages for the new classes through EventBrite and you’ll find information on how to sign up in a new page on classes at the top, and links on the right hand sidebar. (That’s an affiliate link to EventBrite - I’ve found the service great so far and am happy to spread the word.)

I’ve copied the information on the classes below so it’s easy for you to find…

Any questions or indeed suggestions for additional classes and services you’d like to see on offer, please do let me know, either in the comment box or by e-mailing me at joanna [@]confidentwriting.com

~~~

Calendar of future classes and workshops, and details of how to book:

Refresh Your 2009 Writing Goals: FREE Coaching Call

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 from 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM (GMT)

A coaching call (by teleclass) to review where you’ve got to with your writing goals this year.

A chance to share your progress, get rid of any frustrations and work out the way forward!

Supported by writing coach Joanna Young, in a small group setting (maximum 10 participants) this is an opportunity to:

• review your writing project
  • share progress
  • celebrate successes
  • work out where you want to go with it next
  • identify what you need to get you there
  • set some forward goals and objectives
  • share tips and suggestions on breaking through blocks

This is a free call - a chance for you to try some coaching in a group setting.

Confident Writing Mentor Group

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM - Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 8:30 PM (GMT)

A mentor group to help you make progress with your writing goals in 2009.

The group will give you the chance to:

* get feedback and support from other writers

* use the accountability mechanism of the group to make progress against goals

* share tips and strategies for getting round blocks

* charge up your creative juices with some writing exercises

* share some of your written material with the group

* boost your motivation through the support of others

The group will be supported by writing coach Joanna Young.

We’ll be working in a small group setting (maximum 10 people) - with the option to exchange news and progress in a private online google group between calls.

The group will meet every 2 weeks over a 12 week period (6 calls in total). Calls take place on a Tuesday, 7pm - 8.30pm GMT

Cost: £75 for 12 weeks programme

Start Writing from Life: Memoir Writing and Other Forms

Learn how to start writing from and about the events, the memories and the details of your life.

In a small group setting, supported by writing coach Joanna Young you’ll explore, learn about and practice how to:

• start tapping into memories, and writing around them
  • work all your senses into your words
  • write for you, and write for your readers
  • experiment with different written forms and styles
  • shift perspective on some of the events of the past
  • generate material for a bigger project (eg blog, photo journal, memoir)

You don’t need to be a writer to take part in this class - you’ll learn everything you need to learn as you go!

12 week course, with 6 @ 90 minute calls + private online forum exchange material between classes

Cost: £270 early bird rate (if you book by 17 August), £360 full rate

Starts Monday 28 September, running till Monday December 12

Mondays 7pm to 8.30pm GMT

More details and how to book here:

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Time to Get Down to Some Writing”

1. On June 10, 2009 at 5:59 pm Dana Leipold responded with... #

Hi Joanna!

I recently found your blog and cannot believe how the universe works. I’ve been writing a memoir now for almost a year and feel myself stumped…then I found this post! I signed up for the free coaching call and may explore your other classes. I’m in the USA in California too! I’m glad to have found you.

Looking forward to call on June 30th.
    Thanks!
    Dana (aka Random Chick)

2. On June 10, 2009 at 6:41 pm carla | green and chic responded with... #

Thank you for offering the class! Unfortunately I will be on the road and would hate to commit to a time and miss it! I’m sure whoever takes it will benefit a great deal.

carla | green and chics last blog post..Pictures of Bolinas, CA

3. On June 10, 2009 at 6:43 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Hi Joanna, You certainly are industrious. Based on how you’ve helped me and what I’ve heard from others you have worked with, I’m absolutely sure Dana and anyone else who signs up for your coaching problem will be pleased with the results.

I’ve not begun to contemplate writing my memoirs, but I do have a title picked out: “Make Mine Tequila.” I think that sums it all up very nicely. :)

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Different Audience Temperaments Require Different Presentation Styles

4. On June 11, 2009 at 7:16 am Michele responded with... #

Wow, you have been busy, Joanna! Congrats on the success, the book(s), and all the great upcoming stuff you have going on. Truly, I’ve been missing out by not dropping by regularly!

So glad I stopped by now. :-)

*smiles*
    Michele

Micheles last blog post..Blogging: How Does it Affect You?

5. On June 12, 2009 at 7:53 am Joanna

Dana hi, isn’t it wonderful how the universe works like that?! I’m looking forward to getting to know you on the 30th

Carla thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it. Maybe another time

Brad so intriguing, ‘make mine tequila’… now I can’t wait to read that (when you’re ready…)

Michele hi, it’s always so good to know you’re still there :-) Thanks for saying hi, and the smiles, of course

6. On June 12, 2009 at 2:44 pm Lillie Ammann responded with... #

What ambitious plans you have. And I know that you carry them out successfully and that everyone who participates in your coaching and classes and learn and be inspired by you.

7. On June 22, 2009 at 12:32 pm Joanna

Lillie thank you so much for that vote of confidence