Writing Tips

The Untold Power of Audacious Writers: Guest Post by Deb Boyken

Audacity means to be daring, bold-to put yourself out in the world with confidence, to see what you can do.

So, how can a writer be audacious? On the surface, at least, writing is one of the most introspective activities. Sitting quietly with a pen and paper, musing over thoughts, picking out just the right word … writers don’t look audacious. People have an image of a starving writer in a garrett, or a novelist tapping away on his keyboard by a sunlit window. Even when they think about collaborative forms of writing like, say, script writers bouncing ideas around a table, the image is contained. The words are ricocheting across the table, but they’re not leaving the room, and the point is to capture the words

So, how is this remotely Audacious?

Simple.

Unless a writer is putting down private thoughts into a journal, the intent is that the words being written will be read. This isn’t a surprise. You’re thinking that of course they’re going to be read, that’s the point. Which is exactly true. As a rule, a writer doesn’t interact with anything other than the words in his or her head and the medium for writing it. The reader doesn’t even come into the equation until much, much later, when they read the book, open the newspaper, see the movie, read the press release. But, think about it-what makes a writer so sure that what he or she puts down on paper is going to be worth the time and effort for someone else to read it?

Now, that’s audacity for you. The conviction that what you are writing is not only good and interesting, but valuable enough in its insights, knowledge, wisdom and authority that it’s worth being read.

I’m here to tell you that writers are NOT meek and mild-mannered. We might look quiet and introspective while we write, but really? We are powerful. We are Clark Kent with Superman just below the surface. We are superheroes with untold power, untapped ability, and unseen passion. It’s just that our disguise is so perfect, our deception so convincing, that most people don’t see past the surface.

Never doubt that that power and passion are there. Properly crafted words can (and have) change the world. They can entertain and inform. And they can reach countless numbers of people.

And that’s the Writer’s secret.

Deep in our bones, we know that we can change the world. We might look like we’re just typing a blog post or writing a press release to pay our rent, but really? We’re just biding our time, because we know that we hold the ultimate power-we can capture your imagination, fire your soul, and inspire you to believe you can do anything.

If that’s not audacity, I don’t know what is.

~~~

Deb BoykenLet me to introduce you to -Deb:

Deb Boyken spends an inordinate amount of her free time baking, knitting, spinning yarn, reading, and playing with her dog, but mostly, let’s not forget, she writes.

She writes about knitting at www.knittingscholar.com, writes about writing and freelancing at www.punctualityrules.com, and writes about more or less everything else at www.chappysmom.com.

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “The Untold Power of Audacious Writers: Guest Post by Deb Boyken”

1. On May 1, 2009 at 4:28 pm Matt Hayward responded with... #

Great post, Deb. I loved it.

And just how right you are! Te he he, you sure hear me when within my roleplay communities. A perfect example of audacity for you.

Let me ask a question, though: Does ‘tapping into’ that audacity make you a better writer? Can it do so? To a certain extent only?

I’m interested in what you think on this.

Matt

Matt Haywards last blog post..Flash Us Your Fiction!

2. On May 1, 2009 at 7:43 pm Lillie Ammann responded with... #

Wonderful post, Deb. You make me feel powerful. Thanks.

Lillie Ammanns last blog post..Memoir and Family History: Part 6—Publishing and Distribution

3. On May 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm --Deb responded with... #

@Matt-Being audacious might not help you find the words or understand the grammar that you need to be a good writer, but the confidence can only help. If you hesitate while putting your words on paper, if you don’t believe in what you’re saying, that’s going to reflect in your writing. Or, at least, that’s what I think.

@Lillie-Glad to hear it. More power to all of us!

-Debs last blog post..Social Media 101

4. On May 2, 2009 at 9:45 am Naoko responded with... #

Thank you for the post, Deb! It’s a great reminder and ego-boost!

5. On May 2, 2009 at 1:41 pm Heidi Fischbach responded with... #

Thank you for this post, Deb, and for the blog, Joanna. I recently discovered it and love coming by. Audacious-that will be my word today! Audacious. Thank you.

Heidi Fischbachs last blog post..Massage therapist heal thyself.

6. On May 2, 2009 at 3:48 pm Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach responded with... #

It all comes down to being confident enough to sing your own song and dare to lead the thundering herd. Bold, daring….it’s the way to live.

Great post! Thanks.

Barbara Ling, Virtual Coachs last blog post..Stupid neighbors

7. On May 3, 2009 at 11:27 am Brad Shorr responded with... #

Hi Deb, Nice to see you here at CW. Reading your fabulous post made me think about our Founding Fathers. Those people put their lives on the line writing tracts to arouse the public, to say nothing of the documents of freedom that made their way to King George III. Doesn’t every great social movement involve or even begin with writers who have the courage to speak out? In my sphere and on a lesser scale, we see audacious writers speaking out against old style corporate ad-speak and for a more conversational and open communication style. It may not be “Give me liberty or give me death,” but it is important. Yes, we can be heroes, and I think many of us are without even realizing it.

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Off to SOBCon09

8. On May 4, 2009 at 3:08 pm Davina responded with... #

Hi Deb. After reading this, I feel like I can move mountains! Thank you. Really enjoyed this.

Davinas last blog post..Positively Breathing — Affirmation 1

9. On May 4, 2009 at 7:09 pm Alex Fayle | Someday Syndrome responded with... #

Deb - what an awesome post! It’s totally true - how incredibly audacious of us as writers to think that people will actually want to read what we write, especially when my reasoning is that since I love reading my stuff, others will too.;)

Alex Fayle | Someday Syndromes last blog post..The World Owes Me Nothing: Glen Allsopp Interview

10. On May 5, 2009 at 1:37 am Cheryl Wright responded with... #

Beautiful post, laden with inspiration. I’m fired up with audacity.

It’s a bird, it’s a plane. No, it’s audacious Cheryl!

Cheryl Wrights last blog post..Saturday Soirée - A journal entry

11. On May 5, 2009 at 6:42 am wilson responded with... #

Deb, from your blogpost, I can tell that you’re the classic audacious writer, where you have whatever it takes and the most important thing: You’re not afraid to speak out your mind! Bravo, Deb.

12. On May 5, 2009 at 1:45 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Whoo hoo! Now that’s how I like to start a Tuesday morning! Just this morning I heard on one of the morning shows that healthy self-esteem contributes to a longer life span, so not only are we audacious but we will live long enough to capture the history of your children and grandchildren! Going to dust my cape and save the world!

Karen Swims last blog post..7 Reasons You Need an Ideal Client Profile

13. On May 12, 2009 at 5:45 am Solomon responded with... #

Hi Deb,
    Can’t believe words can be so powerful after reading your post! You’ve really unraveled the mind of a writer. Only few can see the inner person beneath the outer one.
    I feel so lucky to read this post!
    Thanks! Solomon

Solomons last blog post..How to unshackle your writing muse?

14. On May 13, 2009 at 1:36 pm --Deb responded with... #

It’s a writers greatest secret-we’re going to take over the world, one sentence at a time!

-Debs last blog post..Putting Together the Pieces

15. On May 13, 2009 at 9:47 pm Joanna

-Deb, your post and the replies here are music to my ears :-) Thanks for the reminder that our words can make such a difference

@ Heidi, thanks, and hello :-)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 40 Freelance Writing Blogs | Freelancing and Outsourcing Tips, Commentary, Analysis, and News from oDesk - August 31, 2009

[...] coach / Various Guest Bloggers Love - Inspiration, motivation, amazing guest posts Read - “The … Power of Audacious Writers” by D. [...]