Snippets

The Journey

She sighed.

The list of things to do didn’t seem to be getting any smaller, and the deadline for departure was drawing ever near.   Sometimes she wondered if the time, effort and energy it takes to pack up and organise for a few weeks away was worth the benefit of going.

And yet…

As the start of the journey drew closer, the less important her list became.  The more her mind started to travel, moving slowly at first through the getting ready to begin, the boat, the car, the bus to the airport.

Then onwards, inexorably, deeper into the journey.

Her imagination took  her, effortlessly, without lists, and sighing, and packing, off to the exploration of an old southern city, arriving in the middle of the night, finding her way to the small hotel…

optimistic view by sy parrish on Flickr

Then waking, on May morning, to the sights and sounds of the Festival of Sant’ Efisio in Cagliari, before taking the train north…

Travelling further again, in her mind, to where her words might go when she was away.

Where her writing might go with the words and stories of other people working their way round about her.

With the time, and space, and chance to breathe more deeply into words that might play, and dance, or delve into darker places.

Words of memory, hopes and regret.  Words of wonder and possibility.  Words that wanted to work their way into fragments of poems, lines that were already flitting around her head, waiting for the chance to land.

She smiled, and put away her list of things to do.  The busyness would wait.

It was time now for the journey.

~ ~ ~

This short piece was inspired by the journey I’m just about to take, heading off to Sardinia for the writing retreat.

My packing and preparations have included getting this blog all ready and ship shape for you when I’m away.  I’m delighted to tell you that there are six guest posts lined up for the next couple of weeks, on the themes of audacity, tenacity and community.

A huge thanks goes to Lillie Ammann, Alex Fayle, Robert Hruzek, Brad Shorr, -Deb, and Karen Swim for coming up with such interesting and complementary takes on these writing themes, and agreeing to host the conversations here when I’m away.

I’ll have some wireless access when I’m in Sardinia, but not much time, so I might pop in to see how you’re doing, but won’t have time to chat.

Plenty of photos, videos and stories to share when I’m back, I promise.

Ciao!

Photo Credit: Optimistic View by Sy Parrish on Flickr

If you enjoyed this post, please do subscribe to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

If you want to help spread the word, please do share the post on Twitter and / or Facebook. Thanks!

Tags: , , , ,

18 Responses to “The Journey”

1. On April 29, 2009 at 11:10 am Iain Broome responded with... #

Have a cracking time - looks like things are in good hands!

Iain Broomes last blog post..How to find your perfect writing partner

2. On April 29, 2009 at 11:13 am Ulla Hennig responded with... #

What a wonderful piece, Joanna! Enjoy the writing retreat - I will look forward to your photos, videos and stories. And - of course - to your guest authors! Have fun!

Ulla Hennigs last blog post..Coffee is Calling

3. On April 29, 2009 at 12:59 pm Jim Hughes responded with... #

Ahhh. I began to travel with you… Have a great time!

Jim Hughess last blog post..Adding Meaning to Conversations

4. On April 29, 2009 at 1:13 pm Robert Hruzek responded with... #

Isn’t imagination a great blessing? Even more fun are memories - when real experiences are there to back up our imaginations. Get some great ones, Joanna. And most of all, have fun!

Cheers!

Robert Hruzeks last blog post..Flame Dancers

5. On April 29, 2009 at 4:47 pm Lillie Ammann responded with... #

Have a wonderful trip, Joanna! I know the writing retreat will be marvelous for all who attend.

Lillie Ammanns last blog post..Bloggers Unite for Hunger and Hope

6. On April 29, 2009 at 4:48 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Joanna, Beautiful story. Are you going to have more creative words to share with us when you return? Travel safe, and have a wonderful time.

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Get to Page 1 on Google with Content Optimization

7. On April 29, 2009 at 5:20 pm J.D. Meier responded with... #

Happy trails to Sardinia!

I like the way you teed up and imagined your journey. Wonder and possibility say it best.

J.D. Meiers last blog post..Chunk Up Your Phrases for More Effective Writing

8. On April 29, 2009 at 6:44 pm Joely Black (@TheCharmQuark on Twitter) responded with... #

Happy trails! I wish I could join you.

9. On April 29, 2009 at 10:02 pm Joanna

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! I’ll miss you, and look forward to catching up with you all again soon

10. On April 30, 2009 at 7:24 am wilson responded with... #

I’m happy for you here, Joanna. Remember to enjoy the trip and bring something nice (Photos or video clips) as a gift from Sardinia, Italy! :)

Bon Voyage…

11. On April 30, 2009 at 7:55 am Paul responded with... #

A lovely piece of writing Joanna!

Imagine what you’ll be writing during and after your journey :)

Have a wonderful time,

All the best

Paul

Pauls last blog post..The Trappings of Success

12. On April 30, 2009 at 2:42 pm Conor
    Twitter: ebbstachio

Hey Joanna,

Have a great time, feed your soul, and breathe it in for all its worth :)

Conor

13. On April 30, 2009 at 4:33 pm Matt Hayward responded with... #

Oooh, is that a bit of semi-fiction there, Joanna?! ;) I liked the piece, that’s for sure.

Have a good time in Sardinia: There’d best be loads of photos and what not. :P

Matt

Matt Haywards last blog post..Bringing Your Characters to Life

14. On May 1, 2009 at 8:18 am Davina responded with... #

Happy travels Joanna. That passage you wrote is very poetic ;-) I’m looking forward to reading the guest posts you have lined up. Cheers.

Davinas last blog post..Positively Breathing — A Series Intro

15. On May 1, 2009 at 9:57 am Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach responded with... #

Have a supremely wondrous writing retreat, Joanna! You deserve the best of times…..take full advantage of them!

Enjoy, Barbara

Barbara Ling, Virtual Coachs last blog post..How can I tell if a Work at Home Business Opportunity is a scam?

16. On May 6, 2009 at 1:47 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Oh Joanna, this piece is so beautiful. I felt that tug of emotions that happens when we decide to carve time out for our own dreams, our time to breathe. I felt the pull of things to do, the wrestling with reason and then the freedom as we let go and embrace the journey. Most importantly, I celebrate the joy of this time in your life. It shines through your writing, and truly feels like all is right in the world and moving just as it should. You are missed but I am excited for you.

Karen xxooo

Karen Swims last blog post..Life, Death and Dreams

17. On May 13, 2009 at 9:38 pm Joanna

wilson, thanks - will do!

Paul, thank you :-)

Conor, I like the reference back to breathing. Always a valuable reminder.

Matt, it was a diversion from my usual style that’s for sure. I wonder where I’ll go next? ;-)

Ah, Davina, you noticed :-) Thanks.

Barbara, thank you! The good wishes before I went were a wonderful thing to take with me on my travels

Karen, I’m glad you liked this piece… it was a bit of a new direction for me. More to follow I think :-)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. An ABC of Confident Writing | Confident Writing - December 4, 2009

[...] J is for the journey your writing will take you on [...]