Snippets

A Peek Into My Breathing Space

I have to hand it to my muse.  No sooner have I created the conditions for us to have a little bit of a creative breather and she’s coming up with all sorts of weird and wonderful ideas to fill the gap.  Which means this week I’ve ended up with 2 more posts than usual…

Still, this one is easy to read, being of the video variety.

I’ve ordered a new Flip video camera to capture some of the Sardinian experience, and I wanted the chance to experiment before I go.  When I was out walking the other day I thought I’d give it a try, capturing some of the beauty and wildness I have on my doorstep and sharing a few words about what you’re looking at, and how the place helps to shift my perspective.

The sound quality isn’t great - partly because I wasn’t talking loudly enough (to avoid looking too crazy), and partly because of the wind buffeting the camera.  To make it easier to follow (and for those who are hearing impaired) I’ve added subtitles with my commentary.

I hope you enjoy seeing a little piece of the world I’m lucky enough to be living in, and to get a feel for the physical place that I move into when I need to get a bit of breathing space.

The video is just 1 min, 16 secs long.

I recorded it using a Flip Video MinoHD Camcorder, 60 Minutes (Black), uploaded it onto Blip.TV, then added the subtitles at overstream.

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “A Peek Into My Breathing Space”

1. On April 23, 2009 at 7:58 am Mercè Gamell responded with... #

Joanna, a wonderful place to live in, you’re a lucky woman… Today is Sant Jordi’s day in Catalonia, where I live. On this day, the tradition here is to give roses and books to our loved ones.
    @->—>—-

2. On April 23, 2009 at 8:55 am Matt Hayward responded with... #

You’re so lucky, Joanna!

Please make note of my envy. ;) Entirely unfair.

Matt

Matt Haywards last blog post..Battling Writer’s Block The Easy Way

3. On April 23, 2009 at 2:01 pm Lori -- SpaceAgeSage responded with... #

Thanks for the pleasant sight seeing and for the tech info — I’ll be needing the latter shortly.

4. On April 23, 2009 at 5:02 pm Angie Willis responded with... #

Brilliant video - so clear. What a wonderful place! I’ve made myself a note about blip.tv for a future blog.

Angie Williss last blog post..A social presence on the web

5. On April 23, 2009 at 5:07 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

What a beautiful place, Joanna. I like the effect of your hand held camera - it feels like you are right there. BTW, Robert Hruzek and I came up with a spectacular way for you to put your new technology to good use …

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Influence Customers with Meaningful Terms in Meta Descriptions

6. On April 23, 2009 at 6:44 pm Tim Childers responded with... #

Thanks for the beautiful tour and the crystal clear video. It was nice seeing the ferry again. I used to live in Dunoon many years ago just as the naval submarine tender was about to leave. I took those walks down by the water many days to clear my head and gain a new perspective about problems bothering me at the time. I miss being there. Thanks again!

Tim Childerss last blog post..No Test Left Behind

7. On April 24, 2009 at 11:45 am Conor
    Twitter: ebbstachio

Hey Joanna,

Simple but powerful words and imagery :)

Beautiful.

I think this has also helped me decide on the camera to buy. Is this the Flip Mino HD?

Conor

8. On April 24, 2009 at 12:29 pm Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach responded with... #

Oooooo I’m jealous. I only see domesticated mooses at my place…. :)

Barbara Ling, Virtual Coachs last blog post..Agonizingly CRUCIAL - When Your Blog Suddenly IMPLODES, Banish Panic (troubleshoot and deactivate plugins instead to find the hang)

9. On April 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm Joanna

Mercè, so sorry it’s taken me till now to reply - I got distracted celebrating Sant Jordi’s day :-) What a wonderful tradition, roses and books. Thanks so much for letting me know about it.

Matt Envy duly noted… but you know, it’s been a long hard slog for me to get myself to this place… I’m counting it as fair ;-)

Lori my pleasure - I love experimenting with new techy stuff, and this was all remarkably easy to use

Angie hello :-) I’m glad the video tempted you to stop and say hi. Good luck with your own experiments

10. On April 24, 2009 at 4:33 pm Joanna

Brad I’m glad you got that feeling - I think it helps that it is just a few minutes from my door too. Plus I didn’t think about it, just tried to capture what I could see. Authentic video-ing ;-) I’m curious about your plan…?

Tim hello - it’s not the most glamorous of places on the west coast, but there are many wonderful aspects and like you say, walking by the water in that clear air is a great way to gain new perspective. Thanks for sharing your experience of being here too.

Conor yes it is - I’m quite taken with it. Affordable, light, and so easy to use, even for a technophobe like me.

Barbara I think video footage of domesticated mooses might be kind of fun to see…

11. On April 24, 2009 at 5:43 pm Ulla Hennig responded with... #

thanks for sharing this video and for the subtitles! Although I could understand most of it, the subtitles helped a lot. And it was nice to hear your voice - another step towards learning to know you more.
    I like the water and the ships coming in - beautiful! Sigh!

Ulla Hennigs last blog post..Django Reinhardt

12. On April 24, 2009 at 6:44 pm Janice Cartier responded with... #

” and there you are a bit of breathing space at the end of my road”

lovely…lovely, lovely….dusts the cobwebs out and then some doesn’t it? ;-) this was a beautiful unexpected gift.Thank you for it.

Janice Cartiers last blog post..Welcome to Private Studio

13. On April 24, 2009 at 9:01 pm Joanna

Ulla voice and place do help such a lot don’t they? I’m glad you liked it. Doing the subtitles was a fun exercise - and it makes it more accessible too. The water and the boats make me sigh with happiness too :-)

Jan it tickled me so much to be able to share a little bit of what I see, feel, hear… like you would understand me a little better as a result.

14. On April 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm Janice Cartier responded with... #

It’s a bit magical. Hm… thinking about sounds now… timing is great for that.

Janice Cartiers last blog post..Welcome to Private Studio

15. On April 26, 2009 at 10:51 pm Iain Broome responded with... #

Lovely. I moved to Castleton in the middle of the Peak District last October and the peace and quiet has been sensational. I still work in the city, so coming home is a real treat and provides plenty of space to breathe.

Iain Broomes last blog post..Podcast #2: Cueprompter - a free autocue service

16. On April 27, 2009 at 9:22 am wilson responded with... #

WoW, Joanna. I knew that you’re a fantastic writing coach, but I didn’t know that you’re a professional photographer as well! You’re very lucky to live in a beautiful place like this, Joanna. It’s been a while, I didn’t look or hear the seagulls…

17. On April 27, 2009 at 5:49 pm Joanna

Iain I think that’s a great combination - working somewhere busy, and coming home to breathe. I don’t know if I could handle living in a city again now… you get used to the space don’t you?

wilson ah thank you, you’re so good for my ego!!

18. On April 28, 2009 at 1:32 am Jendi responded with... #

That is a beautiful place. I have a couple creeks nearby that I go to when I need to lessen stress. Writing goes better when I’m relaxed.

Jendis last blog post..How I Met My Mate

19. On April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm Joanna

Jendi hi, thanks for saying hello. I’m glad you liked my place. Your place to unwind and tap back into your words sounds lovely too - I’ve read somewhere that flowing water helps us to write… will see if I can dig that out, it would fit well into this month’s theme. Thanks :-)

20. On April 30, 2009 at 11:09 am Chris Brown responded with... #

Thanks so much for sharing a minute of your world at your “breathing space”. It looks so lovely and refreshing! Definitely a place for regaining perspective and getting out of your head.

Chris Brown