Snippets

Guest Posts at Confident Writing

Every so often I get an e-mail asking if I take guest posts at Confident Writing.

The short answer is yes, I do, but I’ve been thinking about the way I want to try and manage this in the future.

My instinct is to say that the invitation to write a guest post is always open to those of you who comment and contribute regularly here… but that it’s not an invitation to all and sundry to take advantage of this platform, and your attention.

There are times when I will put out a call for guest posts - if I’m going to be away, or just want to shake things up a bit with some different voices - but I think in future I’ll add the stipulation that you need to be a regular reader and commenter.  (No hard and fast rules, but I would expect you to be familiar to me, and other readers.)

If you’ve got a burning idea for a post to contribute to a particular theme, you don’t need to be asked: please do drop me a line with your outline suggestion.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to accepting and encouraging guest posts, or would you like to see me opening up the stage a bit more?

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Guest Posts at Confident Writing”

1. On March 12, 2009 at 1:25 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Hi Joanna, Maybe you could post a very general list of topics you’d like to hear from guest authors on. It might help you keep things in focus and give potential authors a bit of inspiration/direction.

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Writing for Business Blogs - Lessons Learned

2. On March 12, 2009 at 1:48 pm Robert Hruzek responded with... #

I love to guest every now and then - it’s always fun to check out new “surroundings”, y’know?

On thing I’ve heard suggested is to target folks whose blogs you admire and offer to swap places one day. Both get exposed to new communitities that way.

3. On March 12, 2009 at 2:38 pm Joely Black (@TheCharmQuark on Twitter) responded with... #

I like your policy. It really does depend how much you want to promote others, and how focused you want to keep the ‘voice’ on your blog. I like blogs which are at least mostly presented by the host writer. I get a feel for the person that way.

Joely Black (@TheCharmQuark on Twitter)s last blog post..A post about spaces and places that inspired Amnar: The Awakening

4. On March 12, 2009 at 3:27 pm Alex Fayle | Someday Syndrome responded with... #

Awesome policy there Joanna. You’re looking to build community and this type of policy is exactly what will do it.

Clear, concise and yet open enough for people to be creative with what they pitch your way.

Alex Fayle | Someday Syndromes last blog post..Making suckiness good: Lab Rats Week 1

5. On March 12, 2009 at 3:51 pm Terry Heath responded with... #

It depends on the purposes behind your blog. Are you looking to encourage new bloggers, expose your readers to established bloggers, or do you base the decision to post a guest article on the writer’s expertise? Each of these could be your right answer, but whatever you decide should be based on your blogging intent.

Terry Heaths last blog post..Are You a Mozart or a Franklin?

6. On March 12, 2009 at 4:52 pm Joanna

Brad good point - I could add that as part of my intro post at the start of a new theme. Might tempt you back that way - your guest posts are some of my most visited!

Robert I’ll see if I can find a suitable slot of you soon :-) The idea of a targeted swap is good - that way I’d have more control over who I invited to write here. Not that I want to be in total control, but I do want to make sure people who write here are familiar with attitude, ethos and values

Joely I think I’ll always be the main writer because I’m addicted to blogging! But the times when I have had others writing here… it’s always added something special. But I’m aware that as the blog becomes better known other people are liable to approach me from out of nowhere to promote themselves, and that just doesn’t really feel like a good fit for what I’m trying to do here

Alex thanks for the feedback - I appreciate it. The recent example of you volunteering to write something on the back of interaction, tweets, comments etc was part of what inspired this - your post didn’t come out of nowhere, it emerged from the relationship we and other readers have built up

Terry fair point, and probably just what I’d say to others! The main reason to have guest writers (for me) would be to bring in additional perspectives on writing with greater confidence. Not expertise as such, but reflections and things that had worked for that person. And someone who would write to engage and connect, and be willing to engage in comments afterwards. I could write that into the ‘policy’ but I figured if guest writing was based on participation here the individual would already be familiar with writing and connecting that way.

7. On March 12, 2009 at 6:01 pm --Deb responded with... #

Sounds pretty reasonable to me! (And, you know, if you ever want to ask, I’d be happy to guest for you anytime.)

-Debs last blog post..Numbers and Words

8. On March 12, 2009 at 6:08 pm Trina L. Grant responded with... #

Hi, Joanna. I think you have an excellent point because you are just reinforcing what all greenhorn freelancers are told by the pros: Don’t sell yourself short. It seems like a lot of freelance writers begin to, for lack of a better phrase, rest on their laurels after some success. I have seen blogs that go from exemplary to shoddy, as the owner gets busier and more successful, hence leaving themselves less time to give each and every detail of their business the attention it deserves. Writers should not allow their identity and quality to be smeared by a lack of interest in the “old stuff”. I think that letting guest contributors have more to say on your blog than you do is a huge mistake. I agree entirely; make sure those you allow to have an impact on your sterling reputation as a writer actually have talent. We are professionals, this is our business, our livelihood. We wouldn’t let a moron run the counter at our store, so we should not allow them have opinions on our product line, either.

9. On March 12, 2009 at 6:08 pm Andy Hayes responded with... #

Seems quite fair - although I suppose if someone new rolled up and was an expert on confident writing, and for some reason hadn’t heard fo your blog before, I suppose you could let them have a posting slot. :)

Andy Hayess last blog post..Sensory Overload in Hong Kong

10. On March 13, 2009 at 7:17 am Lillie Ammann responded with... #

Sounds like a reasonable policy to me, Joanna.

Lillie Ammanns last blog post..Small Press Month

11. On March 13, 2009 at 8:26 am wilson responded with... #

Joanna, I think you should accept the guest posts more often, as it not only can give other talented bloggers to speak out their mind, but it shows that you do care about the readers…

Well, it just my 2 cents opinion and you can just ignored it!

wilsons last blog post..To Write or Not To Write?

12. On March 13, 2009 at 8:32 am Naoko responded with... #

Completely reasonable. I’d be rather miffed if a guest writer popped up of nowhere to write about confident writing and wasn’t you (without warning at least).

You might want to take a cue from some webcomics; in case they have to go away, they usually put out a call for entries in advance and then vet through the submissions. The good ones are then published automatically in place of your regular updates.

Another suggestion; you can also always have writers contributing to past topics if their entries/articles fit the topic and tone you wish to set.

Hope that helps!

13. On March 13, 2009 at 9:23 am Joanna

-Deb thanks for the feedback, and the offer. Noted :-)

Trina thanks for sharing those perspectives. I think with my editorial hat on I’d only allow quality, relevant posts here, but I was thinking more about the community dimension, how to reward those who participate here, and also to make sure new voices weren’t coming right out of left field. I’ll do my best to maintain a professional look and feel here whatever happens though. Thanks for the reminder.

Andy what you mean, there might be another expert on confident writing out there??? ;-) Point taken, thanks :-)

Lillie hi, and thanks. Sorry not been over recently - but I’m still reading (gosh, and helping with feeds…)

wilson thanks, as a regular and loyal reader I appreciate your perspective very much

Naoko those are both really helpful suggestions, thank you. Calling for but also making clear you’ll vet contributions satisfies my editorial need for quality control. The idea of asking for contributions on previous themes is perfect - can’t believe it never occurred to me before! Also helps me think about ways that I could open up old topics and generate more conversation and contributions towards them. Thank you so much!

14. On March 13, 2009 at 12:57 pm Tumblemoose responded with... #

Hi Joanna,

It’s interesting. I have a page where I actively solicit and encourage guest posters. With that said, I rarely have folks approach me to guest. Almost all of the guest posts I’ve had at Tumblemoose have been folks that I’ve been impressed with and then asked them to be a guest.

Timing is everything, Joanna and it’s rare for me to self promote but my most recent post gives my take on the guest posting experience: http://tumblemoose.com/guest-posts-are-like-dating-20/

Cheers

George

Tumblemooses last blog post..Guest posts are like dating 2.0

15. On March 13, 2009 at 5:45 pm Iain Broome responded with... #

I think that sounds entirely reasonable.

I’ve been thinking about writing a couple of guest posts for people, but wanted to establish Write for Your Life first, and specifically its (or my) tone of voice. You can’y just wander on to someone’s blog and expect to take over willy nilly.

So yep, sounds fine to me.

Iain Broomes last blog post..Why you should always stay proud of your writing

16. On March 13, 2009 at 6:11 pm Paul U responded with... #

What are the topics that interest you?

Paul Us last blog post..Guess the pr update contest

17. On March 13, 2009 at 9:40 pm Joanna

George I noticed we posted on the same thing on the same day… great minds think alike huh? ;-)

Iain thanks and interest noted :-)

Paul pretty much anything to do with writing and confidence!

18. On March 15, 2009 at 2:28 pm Cath Lawson responded with... #

Hi Joanna - This is a great rule. I sometimes accept guest posts. But often, folk will send me complete garbage that they haven’t even edited. You can tell that the sender doesn’t read your blog and to publish it would be so insulting to your readers.

Now, if one of my regular readers sends me a post - I know it’s going to be spot on, before I even look at it. They care about their reputation far too much just to send in any old crap.

Cath Lawsons last blog post..The Cynic Gets A Surprise: Silva Life System Review Part 3

19. On March 15, 2009 at 5:08 pm Joanna

Cath, spot on. I love the way you tell things as they are!