Quotes

Quotes on Writing and Audacity

One of the things I enjoy most about the monthly themes is compiling quotes - and then asking for your contributions.  It’s a great ways to improve my quote collection.

Here are some on the theme of audacity, writing and life.

I look forward to growing old and wise and audacious. (Glenda Jackson)

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, quality and freedom for their spirit.  (Martin Luther King Junior)

De l’audace, encore de l’audace, et toujours de l’audace!  (Danton)

Fortune favors the audacious (Erasmus)

In every artist there is a touch of audacity without which no talent is conceivable (Goethe)

It’s been audacious to try to write a title like this, … I’ve always done that. Always reach for more than you can.  (Deepak Chopra)

If you’re going to make a mistake, make it loud so everybody else sounds wrong. (Joe Venuti)

Do you have any great quotes on the theme of audacity to share?

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Thanks to David at Be Playful for the Venuti quote, one of 22 great quotes on jazz and the improvised life

• Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men.

Tags:

16 Responses to “Quotes on Writing and Audacity”

1. On January 21, 2009 at 8:21 am J.D. Meier responded with... #

I love the way the right quotes can pluck at your heart strings.

I really like the Joe Venuti one - I hadn’t seen it before, but I’m sure I’ll use it now.

J.D. Meiers last blog post..Reward Yourself in the Moment

2. On January 21, 2009 at 8:39 am David | beplayful responded with... #

Thanks for the link Joanna! My favourite is the Goethe one. I want to read a Goethe book, but am scared in case he challenges me too far.

David | beplayfuls last blog post..22 Jazz Musicians on the Improvised Life

3. On January 21, 2009 at 11:47 am Daphne responded with... #

Hi Joanna, my favourite was the Martin Luther King Jr quote.

Your post struck a chord because just today I had lunch with a friend who used that exact word - he described my blog as “audacious”! So I smiled when I read your post. Thanks!

Daphnes last blog post..How Does Your Life Script Read?

4. On January 21, 2009 at 12:21 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Hi Joanna, Dr. King’s quote speaks volumes. On a much lesser note, I’m fond of an expression I picked up from a friend - “If you’re going to be a bear, be a grizzly.”

Brad Shorrs last blog post..The Lighter Side of Banking?

5. On January 21, 2009 at 12:44 pm Robert Hruzek responded with... #

“Perseverance and audacity usually win.” - Dorothee Deluzy

If anything could sum up the events of Jan. 20, 2009, I think this would be it!

6. On January 21, 2009 at 2:53 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

“Every great advancement in science has issued from a new audacity of imagination.”- John Dewey

Joanna, because of the events of the week, Dr. King’s quotes truly stirred my heart. I love the above quote though because it reminds me that audacious writing begins in the mind and heart, a willing to dare to allow your mind to think boldly.

Karen Swims last blog post..This Day In History

7. On January 21, 2009 at 6:58 pm Joanna

JD, me too. There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of them too!

David, my pleasure. What an interesting comment about Goethe. I was force fed Goethe at school and uni (studied German) so don’t tend to think of him as particularly inspirational or challenging. Of course you know that fear of being challenged is precisely the reason why you should go and read it :-)

Hi Daphne, I love that quote too. It’s not directly linked to writing, but what’s the point of great writing if you don’t use it to express powerful concepts, values and beliefs… things that will change things? That’s what I reckon anyway. Thanks for telling me your blog had been described as audacious - it was a great invitation to go over and visit! (And he’s right)

Brad, I’m not sure your quote is lesser - they all count, especially if they help to shift our mood into something more optimistic, playful or, well, audacious. Which the grizzly bear certainly does ;-)

Robert, great addition, thank you, and yes a neat encapsulation of the events of yesterday.

Karen, thank you so much for that - “audacity of imagination” is sending tingles down my spine!

8. On January 21, 2009 at 7:01 pm Gennaro responded with... #

That Venuni quote is too funny. I hate to admit that I’m guilt of doing that occasionally :)

Out of passion, of course!

Gennaros last blog post..Olympians Name Top Snowboarding Locations

9. On January 22, 2009 at 4:36 am Barbara Swafford responded with... #

Hi Joanna - I love this one, “If you’re going to make a mistake, make it loud so everybody else sounds wrong.” (Joe Venuti)

That is absolutely precious.

Barbara Swaffords last blog post..Not So New Blogs - From Spain to Singapore

10. On January 22, 2009 at 9:29 am Joanna

Gennaro, of course ;-)

Barbara, I’m glad I found and included that quote - it seems to have hit the right note with you all!

11. On January 22, 2009 at 1:16 pm Alex Fayle | Someday Syndrome responded with... #

Quotes smack too much of research and I spent my entire school career avoiding research (which is probably why I’m a writer - I honed my writing skills covering up the lack of research). ;)

Alex Fayle | Someday Syndromes last blog post..What’s the Big Picture? Don’t lose yourself in details

12. On January 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm Joanna

Alex, I think I’ll classify your response as audacious ;-)

13. On January 23, 2009 at 5:47 am wilson responded with... #

Joanna, I loved Chopra’s quote, “It’s been audacious to try to write a title like this, … I’ve always done that. Always reach for more than you can.”

After all, life would be bore, if we didn’t try to write out some more audacious titles, isn’t it?

wilsons last blog post..My Blog Has Been Featured on RedOrbit!

14. On January 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm Joanna

Wilson - it is interesting isn’t it. Also what happens when you’ve got that audacious title… does it inspire you to write more and different too?

15. On May 12, 2009 at 5:55 am Solomon responded with... #

Hi Joanna,
    I liked Goethe’s quote. It’s so powerful. Without the audacity and courage, not artist can create anything new in life.
    Thanks for the post!
    Solomon

Solomons last blog post..How to unshackle your writing muse?

16. On May 13, 2009 at 9:32 pm Joanna

Hi Solomon, I’m glad you liked the quotes, thanks for reminding me about them :-)