Posting Schedule at Confident Writing

by Joanna on January 23, 2009

Some of you might have noticed that I’m posting a little bit less frequently.  I’m trying to move to a 3 day a week pattern, posting on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

One of the main benefits is that it gives people more time to read and comment without something else popping up and getting in the way.  And it helps to dispel the notion that you’re ‘late’ if you arrive to read and comment more than a few hours after a post has been published.

Well, that’s my perception anyway, but I’d be interested in your thoughts.

I’ll use the weekends for more personal and slightly off topic posts.  And I’ll mix up the schedule every so often to include short posts like this one to pass on news.

This week I also needed a slot to let you know I’ve written a guest post for Brad Shorr at Word Sell.  It’s a totally non-serious Scots guide to social media - exploring some of the words that I and others use which lead to baffled looks from others.  Please do pop over and have a look.

Have a great weekend all.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Janice Cartier 01.23.09 at 10:34 pm

I switched to that schedule too first of the year. It seems to give us more time to digest, savour, pause and think. The conversation is better. And it gives me more time for that community goal of mine.

Janice Cartiers last blog post..Never Ending Brilliance

Brad Shorr 01.23.09 at 11:20 pm

Hi Joanna, I’m liking my new M-W-F schedule. Should have done it about six months ago. Thanks for your post, too. I’ve read it about six times.

Brad Shorrs last blog post..A Scot’s Guide to Social Media - Guest Post by Joanna Young

Daphne 01.24.09 at 4:58 am

Hi Joanna,

I tried to post daily for a while and it didn’t work for me - too much pressure, the quality of the posts was poor as I was writing for the sake of writing, and I felt it was burdening my readers too much.

This month I’m posting only when I feel I have something worth saying, which so far has worked out to about twice a week. As a result I enjoy writing much more, the posts are of a better quality, and readers are responding extremely well, with over 20 comments each on recent posts.

Writing less also gives me more time to read other blogs and learn from them, and also leave comments which are more thanthe ‘great post!’ variety.

All in all, posting less frequently has worked well for me, and I hope you find the same with you. I do enjoy reading your posts, so keep it up!

Daphnes last blog post..How Does Your Life Script Read?

Gennaro 01.24.09 at 6:02 am

It might also provide for more time for visitors to read the other comments in addition to the post itself.

I tend to let a new article or post sit for a day or two if it has a strong response in terms of comments or e-mail messages.

Gennaros last blog post..6 Steps To A Lucky Chinese New Year

Tumblemoose 01.24.09 at 7:22 am

Oh, you have to know I’m heading right over to have a look at that one.

Also, Happy Burns Night! 250, eh? Ought to be a fun time for all!

Cheers

George

Tumblemooses last blog post..The tumblemoose community is the best

Lillie Ammann 01.24.09 at 12:00 pm

I appreciate less frequent posting because I always seem to be behind in my reading.

I’ve tried to post M-W-F on my blog, but sometimes I don’t even have time to do it that often. Since my blog is a personal blog for fun and not a business blog, it has to take back seat to writing for clients.

Lillie Ammanns last blog post..A Thirty-Six Year Tragedy

Lucy 01.24.09 at 3:43 pm

I like this idea Joanna. Personally, as the reader, it gives me more time to pace myself fro reading and commenting. And- you don’t feel like you always need to catch up, or that you’ve missed out. Thanks!

Lucys last blog post..A Word About Accents…

Ulla Hennig 01.24.09 at 5:47 pm

I can only say the same words as Lillie Ammann - I always had difficulties to keep up with the reading!

Ulla Hennigs last blog post..Not without my Bananas

tt 01.24.09 at 7:07 pm

I think it’s a good idea.

Joanna 01.24.09 at 10:22 pm

Jan, it’s a pattern I’ve noticed a number of people using recently and it works so well as a reader as well as writer. I think you’re right that the conversation is much better as a result.

Brad, well, we live and we learn with blogging don’t we? Glad you liked the post. It was fun to write.

Daphne, those are great arguments in favour of your schedule! My problem is I have so many ideas that could be posts - I need to discipline myself to jot them down then let them go in order to create the space and time I think we all need. Thanks for the feedback on what I’m doing here, much appreciated

Gennaro - that’s a good point. And I really do want people to feel they can join in at any point, and not feel ‘late’. I wish I had your patience though!

George - yes, it was the 250th birthday that made me think it would be fun to do the post. Quite a milestone over here. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Lillie - thanks for the confirmation. I hate feeling behind too and I don’t want to add to people’s feeling that they can’t keep up. Your blog is always enjoyable whenever you get to it and as I’m always saying to others… with RSS we’ll wait till you’re ready to pop back. I think more people are likely to leave because bloggers write too much than the other way round, don’t you?

Lucy, that’s what I was thinking / hoping. Thanks for letting me know.

Ulla, I’ll try and slow down to make it more digestible :-)

tt, thanks for the feedback

Robert Hruzek 01.25.09 at 12:56 am

After writing 5 days a week for about over a year, I switched to M-W-F and never looked back. I mean think about it: from needing 20-30 posts a month to only 12-13! Sure takes the pressure off, and gives you time to really make ‘em count.

From the comments, it looks like it’s a winning strategy too. Welcome to the dark side, Joanna! :-D

Carla 01.25.09 at 8:23 am

I think that is a good schedule. So far I think a Monday and Thursday posting schedule will work for me. We’ll see. I dont want to post too much or too little.

Carlas last blog post..Is it too late?

Joanna 01.25.09 at 8:14 pm

Robert, what, you want me to make the posts count too? What pressure!

Carla, someone else told me that they were doing a Mon-Thursday schedule too and I thought it sounded a good approach - a nice balance at different points of the week, and like you say, not too much, not too little. I might yet move to that myself. Thanks for the feedback.

Karen Swim 01.26.09 at 7:32 pm

Joanna, I think a less frequent posting schedule is a great idea. The one major shift I’ve noticed that started sometime around last summer is a collective relaxing of the daily posting “rule.” I enjoy reading daily but sometimes (like last week) I get behind. I do think many readers will appreciate it too as it gives you time to read and discuss without quickly moving on to the next day.

Karen Swims last blog post..5 Common Problems of Ailing Businesses

Joanna 01.26.09 at 11:44 pm

Karen, learning how to make blogging work for us as both writers and readers will be a happy day indeed :-)

Debbie Yost 01.27.09 at 9:31 pm

From a selfish point of view,I love the idea. Actually, I’ve been considering something like this myself. I think it helps if you have a set schedule as opposed to posting when you feel like it. That way people know when to stop by. You’re not the only one I’ve seen cutting back recently.

Debbie Yosts last blog post..Oral Motor Stimulation

Joanna 01.28.09 at 8:34 am

Debbie, I don’t think it’s at all selfish - the fact that you’ve shared some of the challenges you’ve had reading and commenting, or feeling late, has helped me to think about how to create a better reader experience. I don’t think you’re alone in wishing people would slow down a bit :-)

Janice Cartier 01.28.09 at 4:47 pm

“how to create a better reader experience.”

Best practices, IMHO, should lead both sides to a vibrant exchange.

And that is not based on every single moment being filled. There’s a beauty in the spaces, the pauses, the notes not played, that allows for that on a human rhythm, not an electronic one.

Janice Cartiers last blog post..Jason Wu and The Spotlight

Joanna 01.28.09 at 11:11 pm

Jan, you do have such a way with words… I love the thought of the beauty in the spaces. Thanks.