Writing Tips

Fear, Courage and Superheroes: 5 Posts on Writing and Audacity

One of the things I enjoy doing when I’m writing to a monthly theme (this month, audacity) is watch out for posts that capture or reflect it.  Here are 5 that I’ve enjoyed reading this month.

Creative Commons Man by Mickipedia

Cultivating a Writing Habit

Chris Brogan shares the secret of his writing success, including a highly successful blog.  He highlights the importance of reading (reading, reading) to sharpen his powers:

Shipping news taught me brevity. Fight Club taught me how not to pull a punch. Slapboxing taught me how to really pull raw emotions out of the air. Does this help my nonfiction writing? You bet it does.

What Should I Write About?

Amy Derby wonders why we can write so freely in some settings (like Twitter), tell stories so easily in some situations (sitting chatting with friends) and yet get frozen when it comes to writing on a blog.  Why, she wonders, do we make it so complicated on our blogs?

Are we afraid of breaking the rules?
Are we afraid of wasting peoples’ time?
Are we afraid of being laughed at?

Close Encounters with the Dark and Scary

Karen Swim shares a dark and scary moment when fear got in the way of her publishing something new… and how she got past it again.  She reminds us that fear inevitably shows its face when we’re doing something new (and quite possibly audacious.)

If you are 100% comfortable and confident you are probably not taking a risk. Taking on new challenges, stepping outside of our “tried and true” is scary. Too often we allow fear to direct our footsteps…

Instead of waiting for fear to leave, invite it on the journey.  Let faith drive the car and shove fear in the back seat, or better yet, leave it by the side of the road.

The Marvin Gaye Guide to Unique and Exceptional Content

Brian Clark aka the Copyblogger reminds us that we need more than carefully crafted headlines if we’re going to write compelling content.  Courage is needed too.

To create unique content even with rehashed subject matter, you’ve got to add more unique value. All it takes is a lot of thought and a healthy dose of courage.

Writing Superpowers Activate!

Jamie Grove at How Not to Write asked people to share the secrets of their writing success.  What would they identify as their writing superpower?  In Writing Superpowers Activate! he shares the results, from 23 writers (including me).

The post is a fascinating read, helping us to understand the many different dimensions of confident, audacious writing.

Every writer develops a style through the hard work of flexing their muscles time and again, putting the pen to the page and discovering what they have inside. Along the way, each of us comes to recognize our own special gifts.

What have you been reading, or writing, this month that has helped you to write audaciously?

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Photo Credit: Creative Commons Man by Mickipedia on Flickr (and thank you Creative Commons for your superpowers!)

Tags:

13 Responses to “Fear, Courage and Superheroes: 5 Posts on Writing and Audacity”

1. On January 26, 2009 at 5:48 pm Ulla Hennig responded with... #

thanks so much for putting together this list of blog posts! Regarding your question: I don’t know if I write audaciously, but I write, and that in itself is audacious…

Ulla Hennigs last blog post..Candles and Emotions

2. On January 26, 2009 at 7:35 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Joanna, I love the picture! Thanks for including me in this great line-up. When you tackled the theme of audacity this month, I fully embraced it and have been learning to fail out loud. ;-) This month, I was tested and had to slay many dragons but I know that I am so much richer for the experience. I can’t wait to see what you have in store for me next month! :-)

Karen Swims last blog post..5 Common Problems of Ailing Businesses

3. On January 26, 2009 at 11:43 pm Joanna

Ulla, what a great answer - “I write, and that in itself is audacious…” Thanks for reminding me about that

Karen, isn’t the picture wonderful? You are, of course, audacity personified. I love the way you share the difficult bits as well as the fun and the inspiration - it makes all your words so much more convincing.

4. On January 27, 2009 at 6:14 am Gennaro responded with... #

I agree with Chris Brogan. Reading is the key. It helps with grammar, ideas, vocabulary, and flow. It’s rare to find a great writer who seldom reads.

Gennaros last blog post..6 Steps To A Lucky Chinese New Year

5. On January 27, 2009 at 8:23 am J.D. Meier responded with... #

I like your picks and they’re a nice mix of perspective.

Also, I’m always partial to super heroes … I just watched the Super Friends last night ;)

J.D. Meiers last blog post..3 Ways to Spot Logical Fallacies

6. On January 27, 2009 at 3:32 pm Daphne responded with... #

Hi Joanna,

Great post with very attractively promoted links. I’m bookmarking this to follow the links and read them in detail when I can focus fully. Thanks for this!

Daphnes last blog post..How Does Your Life Script Read?

7. On January 28, 2009 at 8:37 am Joanna

Gennaro, I agree v much with the points about vocabulary and flow - it’s as if the reading shapes and develops those muscles without you realising it. (Pehaps that is some version of what’s happening in fact…)

JD Thanks - I was trying to look at the same concept from a number of different points of view

Daphne, ah thanks - I do try and put a bit of effort into links posts, as I fear otherwise people will just skip over them. I know that’s what I’m liable to do when I’m reading them elsewhere!

8. On January 28, 2009 at 9:42 pm Jamie Grove - How Not To Write responded with... #

Audacity! I haz it! ;)

Thanks, Joanna! Great to be part of the rock star roundup!

Now everyone, which one of these is *not* like the others? lol

Jamie Grove - How Not To Writes last blog post..Clarion West 2009: What Is Best In Life?

9. On January 28, 2009 at 11:10 pm Joanna

Jamie… you sure do! Thanks for organising such an audacious poll

10. On February 4, 2009 at 7:06 am wilson responded with... #

WoW, I loved the superman picture, Joanna! Yep, I agreed with your opinion. Just embrace ourselves and write with our gust!

wilsons last blog post..Too Hot and Too Spicy is Bad For Your Health!

11. On February 4, 2009 at 8:49 am Joanna

Hi wilson, I’m glad to see you! Been wondering where you were ;-) Glad you liked the picture… says a thousand words doesn’t it?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Hump Day Reading for the Restless Soul - January 28, 2009

[...] Fear, Courage and Superheroes: 5 Posts on Writing and Audacity at Confident Writing [...]

2. Fear and Love: The Theme Tune for Audacious Writing | Confident Writing - January 30, 2009

[...] Fear, Courage and Superheroes: 5 Posts on Writing and Audacity [...]