Audacious Writing Goals for 2009

Did you include any writing goals as part of the things you want to do, achieve or make happen in 2009?

I did.

Sharing them publicly can make you feel a little uncomfortable (“what if I don’t turn them into a reality?”) but at the same time adds an element of accountability that makes it more likely that you will.

Goal's! by duncan on Flickr

Here are mine:

1. Publish book number 1 by the late spring, and sell lots of copies.

2. Finish book number 2 before the year is out

3. Blog to a good enough standard that Confident Writing is listed again in the top 10 blogs for writers

4. Learn how to teach memoir writing (which will include writing some of my own memoirs too)

The Resources You Need to Achieve Your Goals

I know that there are things I’ll need to help me achieve these goals. Some of them are what I’d call inner resources (focus, discipline). Some of them are outer resources.

My list of resources looks like this:

1. Time to do the new learning

2. Focus to get the second book written. That means screening out the demands and distractions of both blogging and the ideas that are starting to burble for book number 3

3. Courage. Publishing a book is definitely taking me up against my comfort zone and I’ll need courage (and audacity) to get past it

4. A good publisher to walk me through the self-publishing process

5. The right teacher for the memoir writing skills

6. A support network to encourage, cajole, push and cheerlead.  Not to mention spreading the word (and buying!) the book.  (Yes, that support network includes all of you.)

No doubt I’ll be returning to some of these goals during the course of the year, and I’ll keep you posted on the key milestones.

Meantime, have you worked out your own audacious writing goals for 2009?  And do you know what resources you’ll need to make sure you achieve them?

Feel free to share either in the comment box or on your own blog.  And good luck with achieving them!

Photo Credit: Goal’s! by Duncan on Flickr (I couldn’t resist the audacious misuse of the apostrophe)

Comments

1. Davina says:

Hi Joanna. LOL re that “audacious apostrophe”. Good luck with your goals for 2009.

Accountability is a good thing whether you succeed or “fail”, whatever that looks like. Even if you do fail, an accountability group can work wonders for keeping a person from staying attached to it.

My writing goals are starting to take shape. I’m actively connecting with clients to support their writing needs and to support my efforts to remain self-employed, continue blogging, and building a coaching practice… there, I’ve said it…

Davinas last blog post..Blog + Comment = Win

2. Ulla Hennig
    Twitter: ullahe

my writing goals concerning my blog are:
    1. putting up and sticking to a blogging schedule.
    2. More experiments! At the moment I am thinking about presenting pieces of music regularly, with a bit more information; the one or the other fiction piece; reviews on other blog posts (the blog post which impressed me most this week or sth. like that).

Ulla Hennigs last blog post..No Ferry today!

3. Brad Shorr says:

Joanna, You have set audacious goals for yourself, and I have no doubt you will achieve them! By total coincidence, I’ve announced one of my own writing goals today on my blog. Karen Swim and I are launching a group writing project to gather collective wisdom for a book and/or e-book. Exciting!

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Announcing! “How to Write a Web Site” Group Project

4. Karen Swim
    Twitter: karenswim

Joanna, these are audacious goals and I officially sign up for #6! I will happily cheer you on to the finish line, offer a word of encouragement when you hit a rough patch and buy a dozen copies when the book is published.

My big hairy audacious writing goals this year are to edit and publish my NaNo manuscript, submit my articles to major publications, develop at least 2 information products and grow my blog readership.

Karen Swims last blog post..Close Encounters with the Dark and Scary

5. Robert Hruzek says:

Audacious goals, indeed, Joanna. I liked what Jon Swanson wrote the other day: don’t mistake deadlines for goals. Not sure what it means, but it seems to apply, doesn’t it?

Naah, just kidding! What I mean is, audacious goals require good planning to accomplish. And if anyone is good at that, it’s you.

Just know that you’ve got a big cheering section out here for ya, waitin’ to encourage you over the finish line!

6. Deborah Johnson says:

Great goals, Joanna. I’m looking forward to reading about your progress in 2009.

I set some writing goals for 2009, too. I posted them on my blog because making them public helps keep me accountable and focused.

Good luck!

Deborah Johnsons last blog post..Happy New Year

7. Gennaro says:

Handling two books in a year is a tall order. A fun one too. Best of luck with the sales of the first.

My two blog goals are: build a loyal readership and develop a few of my favorite concepts into a book about transformative travel.

Gennaros last blog post..3 Perfect Places To Befriend A Buddhist Monk

8. Iain Broome
    Twitter: iainbroome

New year, new writing goals.

1. Get novel one represented.
    2. Get novel one sold ready for publishing in 2010.
    3. Write at least half of novel 2.
    4. Develop (and enjoy) Write for Your Life, my new blog.
    5. Write e-book as part of point 4.

Not much then.

Iain Broomes last blog post..Embrace your writing community, but don’t be scared to say ‘no’!

Gennaro, thank you for your good wishes. I love the concept of transformative travel. I think it’ll make a great book.

Iain, I’m going for a lie down after reading your comment. Wow! Good luck with all of your goals, and I look forward to hearing more about when A for Angelica is ready to hit the streets…

11. J.D. Meier says:

I like the fact you ballparked when you’d like to achieve your goals.

I also like the fact you did a sanity check of resources and time to actually turn your ideas into results. It’s a simple step that many people miss.

J.D. Meiers last blog post..Avoid the Intelligence Trap

Hi everyone, many apologies for not replying to your comments yesterday. I realised I had constructed replies in my head and failed to write them down! Sorry.

@ Davina, I’m glad you appreciated the apostrophe, and thanks for your good wishes. Good luck with your own goals, which sound suitably audacious!

@ Ulla, I like the sound of more experiments - such a great way to keep stretching and growing. It’s a good way to keep your own interest going in your blog and the different kinds of posts you’ve identified will give you a good rhythm I think

@ Brad, thanks for the vote of thanks, and I was very excited to read about the launch of your new project. It sounds great and I hope I’ll get a chance to contribute

@ Karen, thanks, and for being my number 1 cheerleader. Publishing a book of the blog is mainly down to your encouragement and prompting, so I can already tell what a difference the cheerleading makes :-) Your own goals sound very exciting. I look forward to seeing where you go with them, and learning with you as you kick that pesky monster fear into touch (and teach the rest of us how)

@ Robert, I’m glad you think I’m a good planner. That’s made me feel like I’m more likely to get these things done. Cheers!

@ Deborah, thanks. Good on you for putting your goals ‘out there’ - it’s scary, but it does make a difference.

@ JD You’re right, the second half of the post is critical, and I don’t think I’d have posted the first bit without knowing what the resources list would look like.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support

13. Janice Cartier says:

I love that you posted a resources list along with the writing goals. I am going back to take another look at my goals again with that in mind.

I have painting goals mostly and business goals, but in terms of writing, I have two important ones.

One is to be more creative in my posts (And audacious). To expand the notion of what they might be.

The other is to add more value to other blogs I am fond of visiting. I love meaningful conversation, ideas shared, humor passed on. So it is a community writing goal that one.

Got pom poms at the ready here to cheer you on with the writing goals you set out. It’s going to be a fun year.

Janice Cartiers last blog post..Exploratory Drawings

14. Broderick Allen says:

Good luck with your goals! I wish you the best. I really didn’t realize how important a support system was until I got started with this blog.

Broderick Allens last blog post..Suspend Disbelief

Jan, I love the sound of your writing goals, both of them. Your comments and contributions have added so much to my own learning and enjoyment of blogging, I think it will be wonderful if there’s even more of it out there!

Broderick, me neither to be honest, and now I couldn’t do without it. Thanks for your good wishes.

16. Janice Cartier says:

Thanks Joanna. Same goes for your contributions. I am looking forward to a good year of playful thought and expansion for everyone. Cheers.

Janice Cartiers last blog post..Exploratory Drawings

17. Bo says:

Two goals this year. One, set up my new business with the state - Seeded Earth Studio LLC, freelance writing and photography. I’m waiting for the paperwork to clear so that is the easier goal.

Now the much harder goal - send out at least one query letter or article for publication every week. I’ll see how this goes. I’m already quite a bit nervous. But determined!

Bos last blog post..I’ll Have a Cherry Coke, Make it a Double!

18. wilson says:

Joanna, I love your attitude and determination. Hopefully, you’ll achieve your goals in this new 2009!

wilsons last blog post..Remember Not to Over Do it!

19. [...] writing retreat might just be the thing you need to help you achieve your audacious writing goals in [...]

20. David | beplayful says:

Have you heard of the book ‘Legacy’ by Linda Spence. Its brilliant for help writing memoirs.

David

David | beplayfuls last blog post..22 Jazz Musicians on the Improvised Life

Bo, wow, what great goals. Stick with the sending out - it’ll get easier over time, and once get into the habit. Very best wishes with your plans - keep us posted!

Wilson, thank you, for all youru support

David, no, but it’s now on the list. Cheers.

22. Essays says:

Hi Joanna! I find your post very helpful and inspiring:) Anyway, here’s alist of my writing goals:

1. Double the essays I have written in 2008.
    2. Write an ebook on peculiar relationships.
    3. Publish my “love poems”.

And here’s the list of resources:

1. Inspiration to get me going
    2. Faith in myself
    3. Unconditional love for writing

Cheers!

Jan, I’m glad you found the post inspiring. I”m most intrigued by your goals… good luck with them. Except of course it’s not really luck you need, but your resource. Thanks for sharing it!

24. Writing goals 1: Don’t expect the unexpected | Write for Your Life says:

[...] Joanna Young at Confident Writing and Maria Schneider at Editor Unleashed just came out and asked us all: What are your writing goals [...]

25. Meet Your Writing Retreat Leaders: Joanna Young | Absorbing Writing says:

[...] Audacious Writing Goals for 2009 (confidentwriting.com) [...]

26. Writing goals 1: Don't expect the unexpected « Write for Your Life says:

[...] Joanna Young at Confident Writing and Maria Schneider at Editor Unleashed just come out and ask us all: What are your writing goals [...]

27. [...] mentioned a few weeks ago that one of my audacious writing goals for 2009 is to learn how to teach memoir writing.  The classes start in about 10 days time, and I’m [...]