Quotes

Audacious Faith in the Future

Some audacious words for Martin Luther King day.

Hero by YardSale on Flickr

“And I must confess, my friends, that the road ahead will not always be smooth.

There will still be rocky places of frustration and meandering points of bewilderment. There will be inevitable setbacks here and there.

And there will be those moments when the buoyancy of hope will be transformed into the fatigue of despair.

Our dreams will sometimes be shattered and our ethereal hopes blasted.

We may again, with tear-drenched eyes, have to stand before the bier of some courageous civil rights worker whose life will be snuffed out by the dastardly acts of bloodthirsty mobs.

But difficult and painful as it is, we must walk on in the days ahead with an audacious faith in the future.”

From Where Do We Go From Here? 16 August 1967

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “Audacious Faith in the Future”

1. On January 19, 2009 at 8:19 am wilson responded with... #

Who will ever forget Martin Luther King’s sensational golden speech, “I Have a Dream”…

wilsons last blog post..Snacks – Is It Good or Bad For Your Health?

2. On January 19, 2009 at 8:43 am Joanna

Wilson, absolutely. Every time I read it, hear it or see it the words send shivers down my spine and bring tears to my eyes. It is both sensational and inspirational. Still.

3. On January 19, 2009 at 11:19 am Daphne responded with... #

Hi Joanna,

Love this quote, which marries hope and realism in a call for action. You know what, I heard the echo of this in Obama’s acceptance speech just weeks ago…

Daphnes last blog post..The Illusion of Right vs Wrong, Good vs Bad

4. On January 19, 2009 at 11:59 am Brad Shorr responded with... #

Joanna, We could sure use leaders like Dr. King these days - where have they gone?

Brad Shorrs last blog post..B2B Sales and the Problem of Pain

5. On January 19, 2009 at 1:37 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Joanna, it is amazing to me that nearly four decades later, these words have lost none of their power. While there are many wonderful orators, there are such a small percentage able to articulate their passion and have their words stand the test of time. Thanks so much for sharing this audacious message of faith today.

Karen Swims last blog post..What I Learned From Crying on My Blog

6. On January 19, 2009 at 4:14 pm Shari Smothers responded with... #

Joann, your choice is appropriate for sure, and adaptable to so many aspects of life in general. Thanks for just the right words, as usual.

Shari Smotherss last blog post..healthy habits: what is brain food?

7. On January 19, 2009 at 5:19 pm J.D. Meier responded with... #

He definitely nailed inspiration and connection!

I love it when words paint a future picture that’s compelling for others to follow. Actually, it’s more than compelling … It lifts them up and becomes a firm foundation.

J.D. Meiers last blog post..THE TOP TEN LEADERSHIP LESSONS

8. On January 19, 2009 at 5:27 pm Joanna

Daphne, hello. When I was researching this I found so many echoes and touch points… It’s the belief that things can and will be better, plus as you say the call to action to play our part.

Brad, that’s a big question. I’ll turn it back at you… Do you think they’re there, and we just can’t hear or see them? Do you think there are things we can do to help create the conditions for inspiring leaders to emerge?

Karen, I think it’s something to do with the source. I have such a strong sense when I read or listen to the words of Martin Luther King that it comes from a deep, powerful and truthful place. I think that’s what creates the sense of connection, and inspiration. It goes beyond oratory and rhetoric. It comes from a different place.

Shari, thank you. I hadn’t heard these words before, and found them very inspiring.

JD that’s right, somehow the words make us feel, recognise and understand that we *can* do things to move into that future, to help to create it. Powerful stuff indeed.

9. On January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm Bo responded with... #

Martin Luther King, Jr. was indeed a fine man. Courageous, strong, forthright, realistic - but ever speaking of his ethereal hopes. His work was not done in vain.

Bos last blog post..It’s Winter in Iowa

10. On January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm Andy Hayes responded with... #

Boy, if I could write as inspirationally as he spoke… wow :)

Andy Hayess last blog post..Inspiring Tours, Authentic Experiences - All in One Place

11. On January 20, 2009 at 12:17 am Jason responded with... #

Joanna-

Many of those quotes seem especially applicable this year, thanks for posting as I completely forgot it was MLK day…

Jasons last blog post..Barack Obama is Not Your Messiah

12. On January 20, 2009 at 3:08 am --Deb responded with... #

You know, I love the idea that a Scotswoman is blogging about Martin Luther King today… Something awfully nice about that!

-Debs last blog post..Blogapalooza

13. On January 20, 2009 at 8:53 am Joanna

Bo, that’s a great description of him, and maybe the attributes of great leaders too. Still much to be done, but the fact that his spirit and words still inspires and motivates is a powerful testimony.

Andy, well yes, me too ;-)

Jason, don’t they just? I try and remember when US holidays are to stay in tune with majority of my readers. It’s interesting, esp doing the research to look for something relevant to say.

-Deb, well observing the holiday is something I do out of respect for the majority of my readers, but celebrating the words and the message - that’s something that happens the world over.

14. On January 21, 2009 at 4:07 am Robyn McMaster responded with... #

Joanna, as I read this, I can hear Dr. King speaking. Somehow I want even a better word than speaking because it was one of the most powerful deliveries I’ve ever witnessed. It still carries amazing power to those who revisit it as you have.

Thanks.

Robyn McMasters last blog post..No Holding Back Ella Mae Johnson from Inauguration

15. On January 21, 2009 at 9:07 am Joanna

Robyn, his words carry great weight and power. I think they also have a wonderful cadence which makes our hearts sing - I think this is a legacy from the from the preaching style including call and response - something I need to learn more about (I want to learn more about rhythm and how to best use it)