Snippets

Confident Writing: Highlights of 2008

A whistle stop tour through the highlights of the past year…

January: A new design for the new year - thanks Cat!

February: Leaps and bounds was the theme, inspired by the leap year, leading to one of my favourite group writing projects - My Love Affair With Writing

March: Survived the first round of the March Writing Blog Madness, leading into a glorious triumph over the mighty Copyblogger in April

April: Celebrated my blog birthday and met one of my best blogging buddies

May: Made it to Chicago and SobCon - my first trip to the U.S., and first time meeting some wonderful friends

June: Ran a series on asking questions and declared I was proud to be a blogging dork

July: Got ready to make the move from Typepad to WordPress (a move I’ve not regretted once)

August: Bit of a crazy month - moved blog, moved house, and got a wonderful welcome back

September: Named as one of the top 10 blogs for writers in 2008-09

October: Got back into my Twitter groove with 21 Irresistibly Irresponsible Ways to Tweet with Greater Confidence

November: Mixed things up with a little bit of experimentation

December: Gearing up to post simply the best posts written by all of you: simply the best readers a blogger could wish for.  Thank you.

Some other highlights…

E-Books: Published 2 e-books, Powerful Writing in 30 Words or Less, and Asking Questions for a Change

Group Writing Projects: Ran a few group writing projects - each one was a bit different, and I learned something from each one:

My Love Affair With Writing, 4 x 4 Sources of Writing Inspiration, What Does Powerful Writing Mean to You? In 30 Words or Less, Your Ideal Writing Weekend, The Results of My Writing Experiment, Simply the Best (your best blog post)

What I Learned From: I’ve written a reflective piece each month for the Middle Zone Group Writing Project: What I Learned From. I had fun working some of them into the writing theme, and also enjoyed writing some more personal pieces.  Thanks Robert for giving me (and so many others) the chance to take off a bit more of the mask with these monthly projects.

My favourite WILFs: What I Learned from Writing in a Sweet Shop, What I Learned from My Cat About the Writing Life

Not the Best But the Most

Still to decide on my best… here’s some of the most instead.

Most Useful Post: How To Plan A Month’s Worth of Posts in 30 Minutes Flat

Most Use of Bullet Points: A 60 Second Guide to Engaging Your Readers

Most Commented: The Secret: 20 Ways to Attract More Comments on Your Blog

Most Unusual Writing Analogy: The Haggis Maker’s Guide to Writing Well

Most Personal Piece About My Writing: To My Muse: 10 Reasons Why I Love You

I don’t know about you but I’m feeling quite puffed out after running through all that!

I’m thinking, hoping, planning to slow things down a bit in 2009… We’ll see.

Looking back, I can say hand on heart that it’s been a tremendous year, and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.  Thank you for all the support and encouragement you’ve given me all the way through.

Joanna Paterson

Journal and writing coach, teaching ways to notice and capture the wonder of the everyday, through writing, poetry, and photography.

Website - Twitter - Facebook - More Posts

Tags:

22 Responses to “Confident Writing: Highlights of 2008”

1. On December 22, 2008 at 11:41 am pelf responded with... #

My favourite post I have read recently (recently is the key word because I haven’t been blog-hopping much lately) is the one where you teach us how to mind-map. I have deployed that mind-mapping technique in planning my posts about plastic bags on Giving Hands, and it’s working very well!

(Now I just need to lure people to go leave me comments, LOL)

pelfs last blog post..Buy a tee and save Yvonne’s eyesight

2. On December 22, 2008 at 12:41 pm Deborah Johnson responded with... #

Congratulations on a successful 2008. May 2009 bring you even more writing triumphs.

Deborah Johnsons last blog post..What Freelance Writing Has Taught Me

3. On December 22, 2008 at 12:52 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Whew, Joanna, what a glorious and action packed 2008 you had! Looking back, it’s hard to imagine all this happened in just one year. Your efforts certainly added a great deal to my 2008 - especially being able to get together at SOBCon.

Brad Shorrs last blog post..George Ajazi’s New SEO Services Fit Any Budget

4. On December 22, 2008 at 1:05 pm Robert Hruzek responded with... #

Wow, it’s been some year, hasn’t it, Joanna? I’m so glad I found you (I think it was from Brad’s blog), and I’m so looking forward to what the new year holds.

Yeehaw! What a ride we’re gonna have! (waves hat)

Robert Hruzeks last blog post..BLOGAPALOOZA! - What I Learned From 2008

5. On December 22, 2008 at 1:06 pm Joanna

Pelf, thanks for that feedback. A lot of people have found that mind-mapping post useful, which is good to know.

Deborah, thanks so much!

Brad, it’s been a whirlwind indeed. But the foozle & fribble meet up was one of the most important highlights :-)

6. On December 22, 2008 at 1:14 pm Joanna

Robert, quite a year indeed. Pizza eating lessons will be remembered forever!

Here’s to a good 2009 for all of us :-)

7. On December 22, 2008 at 1:46 pm Karen Swim
    Twitter: karenswim

Joanna, it has been a wonderful year of learning and sharing! Looking back through your list brought a smile to my lips remembering all of the great posts and discussions. It has been an action packed year and I am so thankful I was here to read, learn and participate. I know that one year later I am definitely a more confident writer because of the great lessons you have taught me. Looking forward to 2009!

Karen xxoo

Karen Swims last blog post..Simply the Best?

8. On December 22, 2008 at 3:54 pm Lillie Ammann responded with... #

Wow, Joanna, what a year! It’s amazing that you have accomplished so much in such a short amount of time. Congratulations. I’m glad to be following along as a fan.

Lillie Ammanns last blog post..Simply the Best

9. On December 22, 2008 at 5:55 pm Ulla Hennig
    Twitter: ullahe

Reading your post made me realize what I missed - not having known your blog earlier - and what I have gained from the moment I followed your blog. I’ll take my free holiday time (well, parts of it) to read all the post “before my time”. And I am looking forward to the year 2009 with you and your “tribe”!

Ulla Hennigs last blog post..Five Things you might want to Know about Me

10. On December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm Joanna

Karen, that’s music to my ears. Thank you. And for your support and encouragement every step of the way.

Lillie, I felt kind of exhausted after I wrote the post! Thanks for your loyal readership and friendship this year.

Ulla, I hadn’t thought about that when I wrote this, but you’re right, this kind of post is a good way to help readers pick their way through the archive. I feel like you’ve been here forever actually… your comments and feedback are so much a part of what I do now. Thank you.

11. On December 22, 2008 at 11:29 pm Shari Smothers responded with... #

Joanna, I’ve really enjoyed the times I’ve been able to visit your site. And it’s a great pleasure to see your tremendous year in review. I can’t believe it’s already been a year since you adopted your new look here!

I am continually inspired by your work. Thanks for everything and I wish you continued success.

12. On December 23, 2008 at 2:06 am --Deb responded with... #

Wow, Joanna, it’s been a banner year! So many great posts.

-Debs last blog post..Dumped On

13. On December 23, 2008 at 5:41 am Davina responded with... #

Joanna, wasn’t that a party! I’ve just become aware of your blog in the last month — too bad I missed most of it. I’ll be round for 2009.

So, did you map this out in 2007? How did you achieve such greatness this year? What’s your secret?

Davinas last blog post..A Positively Dysfunctional Christmas

14. On December 23, 2008 at 9:20 am Joanna

Shari, I know it’s whizzed by. In some ways it feels like only days since I unveiled the new look last January… at the same time I’m itching to introduce another theme! Thanks for your feedback, readership and support. Much appreciated.

-Deb, thank you. I enjoyed looking back at some of the cornerstone pieces that we can sometimes lose sight of with all the … noise and haste.

Davina, I’m glad you’ll be around in 2009. No, I didn’t map any of it out. It just… happened this way. My secret? The best readers a girl could wish for.

15. On December 23, 2008 at 12:09 pm Chris Brown responded with... #

Joanna:
    It was a pleasure meeting you in Chicago at SOBCon in May and then getting to know you better through your posts. Thanks for a great 2008 and looking forward to more insights and thoughts in 2009!
    thanks,
    Chris

Chris Browns last blog post..Are You Considering Starting Your Own Business?

16. On December 23, 2008 at 1:36 pm Tumblemoose responded with... #

I only entered the blogosphere in September of this year and I can truly say Joanna that finding you and Confident Writing has been one of the highlights of the year for me. You always have helpful advice and your comments at tumblemoose are always very real and genuine.

I’m looking forward to 2009!

Cheers

George

Tumblemooses last blog post..Write like you’re dying

17. On December 23, 2008 at 1:41 pm Joanna

Chris, likewise. Going to SobCon was such a highlight of my year - so good to meet other bloggers in the flesh!

George - just since September? Goodness, I feel like I’ve known you forever! Thanks for the feedback and support

18. On December 24, 2008 at 12:36 am Karen Wallace
    Twitter: karenwallace

I don’t know about you girl, but just reading that list of some of your accomplishments this year made my head spin! I have treasured your writing, your wisdom, your generosity and the gift that is you this year, Joanna. Here’s to the most fabulous year in 2009 - online and off.

Karen Wallaces last blog post..a heart full of grace…

19. On December 24, 2008 at 8:38 am wilson responded with... #

Thanks for the list, Joanna and I will forward the link to my friends. I’m sure that they will love to read all these interesting and inspiring posts written by Joanna…

wilsons last blog post..A More Natural and Healthier Way to Keep Fit!

20. On December 24, 2008 at 8:53 am Joanna

Karen, thank you so much. The friendship I’ve enjoyed with you and others is, by far, the biggest daily highlight. I hope you have a wonderful 09 too… sneaking feeling you will :-)

Wilson, thank you, and for all your support during the year.

21. On January 1, 2009 at 5:17 am Miguel Wickert responded with... #

Wow, an impressive round up! Thanks for sharing. I’ll be sure to do the same at the end of next year. :) Happy New Year!

-Miguel

Miguel Wickerts last blog post..Subscribe and Win $1200 Worth of Prizes

22. On January 2, 2009 at 9:29 am Joanna

Miguel, it’s a good way to look back on the year and get things in a different perspective. I wish you lots of wonderful highlights in 2009 to include in your own round up!