Snippets

Words on Gratitude

Silent gratitude isn’t very much use to anyone. (Gertrude Stein)

So thank you, everyone, for your readership, comments, links and support.

And Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the U.S. who’s enjoying the holiday today.

I was going to stop there … but there’s a group writing project running this week on 7 things I am thankful for http://tinyurl.com/5sfywq - by @lgedeon

I wasn’t going to post my response here - because I didn’t have space - so I wrote it on Twitter instead.  It got a positive response, so I thought I’d share it again here.

An extra thanks to Becky McCray who picked this up from Twitter and posted it at Out Standing in My Field. (“Behind my house is a real wheat field. When I took a picture sitting in it, I decided to use that old pun for the title of my personal blog.”)

I gave it social media focus: 7 social media things I’m thankful for

1. The opportunity to learn each day from material freely shared, generously given, in this place we call the blogosphere

2. Learning, joyfully, with a most unusual and entertaining set of authors at JJL www.joyfuljubilantlearning.com

3. Flickr. The chance to share a window on my world, and peek into yours. Not to mention the positive feedback people there give you.

4. The creativity, inspiration, learning, nonsense and fun that comes from conversations with all of you on Twitter

5. Knowing a community of people who’ll go out of their way to do something like project comment 100 for a friend http://tinyurl.com/68b5ch

6. My blog readers. Where’d I be without them you?

7. Having a network of friends online who have become just that: friends. Thank you.

Photo Credit: Thanksgiving is many circles of love by controltheweb on Flickr.  If you’ve a moment do click through to the site to read the commentary on each of the circles!

Tags:

12 Responses to “Words on Gratitude”

1. On November 27, 2008 at 10:40 am Alina Popescu responded with... #

Hi Joanna! What can I say, I’m also thankful for everything you’ve listed here. I’d add the constant inspiration and creativity brought each day by the social media. But from all, your number 7 on the list is what makes me the happiest.

Thank you for your wonderful posts, great tweets, amazing comments and for generally being yourself :)

Alina Popescus last blog post..A few things I’m thankful for

2. On November 27, 2008 at 11:56 am Bo responded with... #

I am thankful for the blogosphere, too, something that wasn’t even a twinkle in my eye a few years ago. How quickly the world has changed!

Bos last blog post..Be Thankful…

3. On November 27, 2008 at 12:25 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Hi Joanna, Alina said it well. Confident Writing is a stop I look forward to every day.

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Thanksgiving Cartoons

4. On November 27, 2008 at 1:24 pm pelf responded with... #

I used to be thankful for Flickr too, until my photos were illegally downloaded and used in publications. It isn’t Flickr’s fault, I know, but still..

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!

pelfs last blog post..9 Twitter apps that you might not have heard of

5. On November 27, 2008 at 3:54 pm --Deb responded with... #

We’re grateful for you, too, Joanna! Have a wonderful day-even if you’re NOT getting turkey like so many of the rest of us (grin).

-Debs last blog post..Bring Your Work into Focus

6. On November 27, 2008 at 3:56 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Hi Joanna,

I am thankful for you, your expertise, graciousness, welcoming spirit, humor, willingness to give and share and the incredible community of people that have gathered in this place. I missed this on Twitter but what a brilliant idea. I’m glad you posted it here. Happy Thanksgiving!

Karen Swims last blog post..Sha Na NaNo - In the Key of Thanks

7. On November 27, 2008 at 4:06 pm Robert Hruzek responded with... #

You’re definitely on my “must read today” list, Joanna! Happy Thanksgiving to you from your fellow Bubbas in the U.S.!

Oh, and a big ol’ hat tip to ya!

8. On November 27, 2008 at 11:07 pm Joanna

Alina, thanks, and you know the feeling is reciprocated. And isn’t it fun to take part in the spirit of this holiday, even if we don’t get to share in the turkey!

Bo, indeed, who’d have thunk it?!

Brad, thank you. I’m also grateful to friends who take you to the pub as the most important thing that needs doing when you meet them for the first time. Like a home from home :-)

Pelf, how aggravagating! But yes, it’s too nice a holiday not to enjoy, isn’t it?

-Deb, thanks, and hope you had a wonderful day! Fortunately I’ve not had the chance to get near Twitter today or I think I’d have got seriously hungry!

Karen, what wonderful things you say. Really you do write the best comments. I’m very, very grateful for your friendship in the nearly 12 months that we’ve ‘known’ each other. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Robert, I now have so many friends ini the US I can’t help but feel involved in your holidays too - even if I don’t get the turkey! Giving thanks seems to me like a wonderful tradition and something we’d do well to import from you bubbas… Thanks for being such a great friend.

9. On November 29, 2008 at 12:24 am Miguel Wickert responded with... #

I can feel your gratitude… Thanks for being genuine and transparent with your readers. I strive to do the same.

@Pelf

Sorry to hear that, sucks! I’ll be sure to be careful.

I’m thankful for the blogosphere, and the many opportunities to freely learn from it. I’ve grown as a person, writer, blogger and so on. There’s a lot thanks to go around.

Miguel Wickerts last blog post..New Pages At Simply Blog

10. On November 29, 2008 at 8:23 am Joanna

Miguel, thank you, it is something I strive towards.

I was thinking last night how much I’ve grown through my blog too - however much goes into it, it’s worth it for that alone.

11. On November 30, 2008 at 9:32 am wilson responded with... #

Hmm…, Joanna. I didn’t have 7 things to thank with, but I do want to thank my family, friends, my employer, colleagues, all my beloved readers and god for giving me such a peaceful and delightful life!

One more thing, I also need to thank you, Joanna for all the great and motivated posts that you’ve written…

wilsons last blog post..The Secrets of Acai Berry is Waiting For You to Reveal it!

12. On November 30, 2008 at 4:30 pm Joanna

Thank you so much Wilson. By the way, it looks to me that you’ve got your 7 things :-)