Snippets

Giving 50 Ideas Away: An Invitation To Join The Conversation

The writing with responsibility theme is generating lots of great ideas and conversation - more than I’m going to be able to write about in the time left till the end of the month.

Rick Mahn prompted me to try an experiment with some of the ideas that have been coming up: pass them back over to you.

He posted a list of ideas and headings that he’s not getting the time to blog about.  I’ve borrowed (and adapted) one: Giving 100 Ideas Away.  (Sorry, I found I couldn’t quite run to 100 - 50 was hard enough!)

My invititation if you’re up for it:

• pick an idea, heading or topic that appeals to you or that you’d like to explore further
  • bend, borrow  and adapt the idea as you see fit
  • write about the idea at your own blog

I’ll post a round up in early November of any posts that come in, so If you do decide to take part, post your contribution by the 31st October, link back to this post and leave a comment to make sure I get it.

Here are 50 ideas on writing with responsibility that have been suggested by readers, or appear on my mind map list so far.

1. A Lion’s Heart: Why Courage Comes Before Responsibility

2. ‘Fessing Up: When It’s Time To Let Your Readers Know

3. Have You Checked Your Sources?

4. 5 More Great Quotes on Writing with Responsibility

5. What I Wish I’d Never Written

6. When It’s Time to Claim Your Words

7. How Responsibility Helped Me Find My Writing Voice

8. Taking Ownership of Your Twitter Stream

9. The Tweet I Wish I’d Never Sent

10. Why Social Media Means We Need to Take More Care With Our Words

11. Your Words Are Your Brand: Watch Your Words Or Live To Regret It

12. 10 Reasons To Proof-Read Your Work

13. Taking Care With Trigger Words

14. Responsibility in the Real World: The Consequences of Your Words

15. Speaking Up About What Really Matters

16. Do You Edit Before You Post?

17. Why This Book Will Help You Manage Your Writing

18. Did I Really Write That?

19. I Blogged It My Way: Taking Responsibility For the Content of Your Blog

20: Why Don’t Your Readers Get It?

21. When It’s Time To Be Held Accountable

22. Are You Blogging Responsibly?

23. How Words Can Change The World

24. When The Meaning of The Communication is the Response You Get

25. How Google Goggles Will Save Your E-Mail Bacon

26. Is Your Post Suitable For The People Who’ll Read It? Key Words, Search Engines and Responsibility

27. Do You Really Want that Traffic?  Key Words, Search Engines and Inappropriate Visitors

28. A Picture’s Worth 1,000 Words: Making Life Easy For Your Readers

29. Zig Zag Readers: Changing the Way You Write for Readers Who Read Online

30. When It’s Time to Forget My Readers and Write for Me

31. Does Your Blog Have a Value Base?

32. The Freelance Article I Refused to Write

33. How Responsibility Squashed My Writing Voice

34. Digging Deep To Write What Counts

35. It Wasn’t What You Said But What You Didn’t Say

36. Abraham Lincoln on Writing With Responsibility

37. The Responsibility That Comes With Blogging Freedom

38. When It’s Time To Look To Your Source

39. 5 Ways To Improve Your Writing

40. When a Spellchecker Can’t Help

41. Why You Need a Disclaimer On Your Blog

42. When Good Advice Comes Back to Haunt You

43. Why I Wish I’d Checked Those Links

44. Why You Don’t Want to Jump On a Link Train

45. If E-mail has Goggles, do Bloggers need Boggles?

46. Why I Should Have Checked That Source

47. Dealing with Negative Feedback

48. What Happens to Your Brain When You Take Responsibility

49. Writing With The Language of Intention

50. Is Your Writing Aligned With Your Values?

The theme is basically that of writing with responsibility.  I tried to work in as many twists as I could think of - while stretching my capacity to draft plausible headlines - but you’re welcome to pick up, explore and develop these as you see fit.

There are no right answers… though if you can find a way to make the connection back to the theme of writing with responsibility, that’d be great :-)

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Photo Credit: Community Art - Responsibility by roland on Flickr

• Extending or Enhancing Ideas as a Blog Strategy

Tags:

21 Responses to “Giving 50 Ideas Away: An Invitation To Join The Conversation”

1. On October 13, 2008 at 12:10 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Wow Joanna, You and Rick have been very generous. It would take me months to come up with 50 ideas. I’ll be writing one up soon!

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Eye Popping Marketing Insights from Scrambled Toast

2. On October 13, 2008 at 12:40 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Joanna, this is a fantastic idea! It is a wonderful way to keep the conversation going and it will be interesting to see where others take it. I am always fascinated at how others view a topic or idea. Rick is a gracious soul and I’m not surprised he prompted this idea. Now to noodle that list and pick an idea! ;-)

Karen Swims last blog post..5 Sizzling Tips to Fire Up Your Marketing

3. On October 13, 2008 at 4:26 pm Joanna

Brad, that’s great. It was remarkably hard to turn the ideas into that list… but quite good fun too. Some were written with individuals in mind, including you and Karen! It would be wonderful if you had time to write something.

Karen, seeing how other people view things is one of the bits of blogging I love the best. I tried to include a variety of topics including some that were really challenging and hopefully some a bit easier (and fun)… I’d love it if you have time to contribute. I know you’d have a powerful contribution to make.

4. On October 13, 2008 at 4:58 pm Cath Lawson responded with... #

Hi Joanna - what a brilliant idea. There’s some great titles there. I’ll definitely give this a go.

Cath Lawsons last blog post..Be A Business Success Story, No Matter What Your Age

5. On October 13, 2008 at 10:18 pm Franklin Bishop responded with... #

I absolutely love the article. This is a great idea especially if you are trying to get free links back to your blog. Very creative I should say.

6. On October 14, 2008 at 12:23 am Jeanne Dininni responded with... #

What a fabulous list, Joanna! You’ve certainly given everyone at least one topic (and likely more than one) that they can feel comfortable — and passionate — about tackling! Wonderful ideas!

7. On October 14, 2008 at 8:04 am Joanna

Cath, there are a fair few of your ideas in the list. Thanks for the prompt, and if you did have time to write something it would be great.

Franklin, hello, and thanks :-) It seems to me a win-win: ideas for more ideas, linking out, linking back, inter-connecting our words. That to me is what social media is all about

Jeanne, I did try to come up with a list that would work for a wide variety of people! Thanks for noticing :-)

8. On October 14, 2008 at 3:55 pm meghna responded with... #

I loved this wonderful statement: “Your Words Are Your Brand: Watch Your Words Or Live To Regret It”

Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts.

meghnas last blog post..The Revival Of An Old Bond

9. On October 14, 2008 at 4:29 pm Miguel Wickert responded with... #

Impressive list, Abraham Lincoln on Writing With Responsibility… interesting, I may have to research this one. Thanks for sharing!

10. On October 14, 2008 at 8:06 pm Joanna

Meghna, it was fun to compile this list with so many ideas and thoughts from all of you! I’d love it if you manage to pick one up and run with it…

Miguel, funny how some lines just grab us like that isn’t it? Don’t forget to let me know if you decide to join in.

11. On October 16, 2008 at 12:03 pm wilson responded with... #

Oh my, Joanna.

I bet you have been spent some times to figure out these 50 ideas and it’s a nice effort indeed :)

wilsons last blog post..It is Cushing’s Syndrome, Not Crushing’s Syndrome!

12. On October 16, 2008 at 9:26 pm Joanna

Wilson, it did take some time, but I did enjoy doing it. I’m glad you like the list - maybe one has got your name on it?

13. On October 17, 2008 at 11:28 pm CV responded with... #

Joanna- Thanks for sharing the inspiration…I’d been sitting on an idea for a few weeks, and your post was what I needed to move it from a draft to a post: Can Taking Responsibility for the Financial Crisis be Good For You? It’s a bit of a stretch b/c it’s about Organizations being responsible, but the dynamics are similar for organizations & individuals. cheers

CVs last blog post..Can Taking Responsibility for the Financial Crisis Be Good For You?

14. On October 18, 2008 at 10:20 am Joanna

Hi CV, thanks for making the connection! I’m glad the post gave you the prompt you needed. I’m fascinated by the connections you draw out between responsibility and authenticity - another core value that I believe lies at the heart of confident writing.

Best wishes

15. On October 26, 2008 at 11:12 am Ulla Hennig responded with... #

I just finished a post regarding responsibility and presenting pictures on the web.

Ulla Hennigs last blog post..Derelict House in Jüterbog

16. On October 26, 2008 at 5:18 pm Joanna

Ulla, it’s great, and so much read across into the writing process. Thanks for taking part.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Can Taking Responsibility for the Financial Crisis Be Good For You? — Authentic Organizations - October 17, 2008

[...] your organization is not really protecting itself. It is hurting itself. That’s because taking responsibility is the one thing that you and your organization can do , right now, to improve your [...]

2. Hump Day Reading for the Restless Soul — Write From Home - October 22, 2008

[...] Giving 50 Ideas Away: An Invitation To Join The Conversation at Confident Writing [...]

3. Did I Really Send That?? - October 22, 2008

[...] Young posed a similar question in one of her 50 blog post ideas. Her question was, did I really write that? Well, writing is one thing, but for me there’s a [...]

4. Derelict House in Jüterbog « Ulla Hennig’s Weblog - October 26, 2008

[...] is a contribution to Joanna Young’s article on Confident Writing: Giving 50 Ideas Away: An Invitation to Join the Conversation. Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)EleutheraBehind every white [...]

5. Blogging with Responsibility « man.of.depravity - October 27, 2008

[...] post info By Tyler Categories: Uncategorized Tags: blogging This is a post in conjunction with Confident Writing’s Joanna Young and her focus on writing with responsbility. [...]