Things That Get In The Way of You Writing

No it’s not procrastination or writer’s block. It’s not even the incessant rain getting me down.

It’s a mouse.

Yes, there’s a moose loose about my hoose.

You’d think with a cat I’d be safe from such interuptions, but despite a stern talking to he’s just looking at the mouse, and then at me, as if to say: what shall we do next?

Hopefully if I keep plonking him down in front of said moose they might both eventually get the idea that the one is supposed to keep the other away.

Meantime I’ve retreated to another base and hope to regain my writing composure shortly!

Photo Credit: Hello There… by Broterham on Flickr

Comments

1. Ann Handley says:

Perhaps leaving a trail of cheese to the backyard will give him the hint…?

Ann Handleys last blog post..In Case of Emergency

2. Brad Shorr says:

Joanna, Your cat must be as good-natured as you.

Brad Shorrs last blog post..For SEO, Select Your Nouns Carefully

3. David | beplayful says:

Brilliant! Mice are so cute, but not so much when they are on the loose.

David | beplayfuls last blog post..Life is Work

Ann, welcome to Confident Writing and thanks for the suggestion… It’s quite a long way down and then outside - he’d get a lot of cheese!

Brad, what a nice thing to say. Maybe we’ve made each other mellow :-)

David, no it’s not at all brilliant!

5. Jeanne Dininni says:

I feel for you! Mice are some of the noisiest creatures! Hope you’re rid of him soon! Have you tried the humane cage traps? Once you’ve caught the critter, you can take him far, far away and let him go. Then you should once again be able to concentrate on your writing!

Good luck!
    Jeanne

Jeanne, that’s my next step if the cat doesn’t get his act together. But I’d have to screw my courage to the sticking place to pick up the cage and walk out with it!

7. Jeanne Dininni says:

Believe me, Joanna, I understand. Maybe it would help if you thought about how much more frightened the mouse will be! (And don’t forget to take the little critter really far away from home — otherwise, it will be back before you can say “No more mouse”!)

By the way, Joanna, what’s the trick to leaving blank lines between paragraphs in your comments section? I’ve tried the HTML paragraph tags, and they don’t work. I only mention this here because I have the feeling others will want to know, too. (You seem to be the only one who’s able to format your comments correctly.) :-| Perhaps you can mention it in a post so everyone will see it.

Jeanne, I do know what you mean. I figure the humane trap is the only way the mouse is going to get out of this situation well - and he is quite cute. He and the cat have been playing cat and mouse today which is fun for the cat but no good for me (and probably not the mouse)

I’ll need to think about your question because the answer is - I don’t know. I’m currently answering my comments from better comments manager (a plugin) and maybe it’s doing the formating for me. I’m not - consciously - doing anything different. I’ll have a rummage round the back here and see if there’s anything I can do or offer by way of explanation.

9. Jeanne Dininni says:

Thanks, Joanna!

Hi Jeanne, just to let you know that the formatting issue now seems to be fixed. The developer told me about a teeny bit of code I needed to use, and it seems to have done the trick. Paragraphs are back!

11. Jeanne Dininni says:

That’s good news, Joanna!

12. Nora says:

well, here sharing the distress…I don’t have a cat, and my house is at ground level, very inviting to mice. Can you believe that I have to go through this several times a year? first, hearing noises; denial of facts; second, taking stock and deciding that yes, there is a mouse or two in my kitchen, third get food from take out sources, while agonizing about how to get rid of them…fourth, setting the traps and then removing the dead mice.
    Is horrible, I resent doing that, but I can’t cook in my kitchen if I have mice!!!
    Caught two very small, grey, sweet mice today, still reeling…I can’t live with them in the house, and they don’t leave by themselves! any other solutions?
    thanks,
    Nora from Florida

Oh Nora I feel feel for you! I don’t have any solutions - I haven’t seen my wee mouse for a few days and am ‘hoping’ he’s gone away, but probably in denial like you say, because they don’t leave by themselves. Have you tried the humane traps? That’s what I’m going to have to fall back on.