Snippets

Respect Yourself To Build Your Personal Brand

Chris Brogan has just published a (free) e-book on how to build your personal brand: Personal Branding For the Business Professional.  It’s well worth a read and you can download your own free copy from this post.

One section in particular jumped out at me in the context of writing with respect.  Although Chris doesn’t use the word I think what he’s talking about here is the value and importance of respecting your self, your values, your style.

In the section “Be Yourself” he writes:

My friend, Jon Swanson, has a great series of “8 things” going on… Jon?s 8th tip for increasing stress was “Try to be Chris Brogan if you are built to be Jon Swanson.” It?s really important to be yourself in building a brand. Coke never set out to be just like somebody else. Madonna didn?t try to be someone different. The brands we know and love work because they are their own identity.

In the world of the Internet, with “me too” applications abound, branding is often superfluous, if everyone just figures you?re just like someone else.

There’s lots of other useful suggestions in the e-book too - including some tips on putting your blog to work for you - and if you’re interested in personal branding it’s definitely worth checking out.

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “Respect Yourself To Build Your Personal Brand”

1. On September 10, 2008 at 12:07 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Thanks for the recommendation, Joanna. The “me too” reference makes me chuckle. When I was in B2B distribution, we had disdain for the copycats (they were never very successful.) We called them “Me too less 5%” companies. All they were selling was a slightly lower price. The technique was sometimes effective in getting an initial order, but the business quickly went away. Maybe the same is true for blogging. You might attract initial attention copying someone else, but will you keep people engaged over time?

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Serious Blog Design Flaws

2. On September 10, 2008 at 2:13 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Joanna, thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely download. Like Brad, I am familiar with the Me Too model and it is amplified on the net. It’s funny that now even my emails all have the same “clever” lines and are all advertising the same thing.

Karen Swims last blog post..This Side Up

3. On September 10, 2008 at 2:22 pm Dan Schawbel responded with... #

It’s better to be a leader than a follower and claim your name, before someone takes it from you!

4. On September 10, 2008 at 4:25 pm Joanna

Brad, I’m more than happy to pass on this recommendation. It’s packed with useful ideas both abstract and specific (I found some good suggestions on blog design & SEO for example). “Me too less 5%” made me smile. What would be the blogging equivalent. “Me too less originality?” “Me too less any interesting ideas that might tax your brain?” “Me too less anything that might lose me subscribers?”

5. On September 10, 2008 at 4:26 pm Joanna

Karen, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the e-book. There’ll be a lot you already know but it’s written in a very engaging style, and I’m sure there will be some new tips and suggestions that you can deploy yourself and use with your clients.

6. On September 10, 2008 at 4:29 pm Joanna

Dan, thanks for popping by. I’ve just googled my name and found that I’ve finally got to the number one spot and 9 out of 10 links are to me (in one form or another!) I’m not entirely sure this is a good thing, or a sign of too much time spent on the internet!

7. On September 10, 2008 at 5:38 pm Scott McIntyre responded with... #

Chris’ ebook is certainly a good read, Joanna.

I downloaded it yesterday and found it fantastic.

The issue of online reputation building- and then keeping a check on it- is important, I feel for any blogger, whether new or experienced.

Chris’ ebook covers it brilliantly.

8. On September 10, 2008 at 8:00 pm Joanna

Scott, it is a valuable resource isn’t it? You’re going to be so well informed by the time you start blogging you’ll put the rest of us to shame!

9. On September 11, 2008 at 11:22 am Brad Shorr responded with... #

Joanna, your blogging slogans are right on the money. It would be so funny to see a blog with one of those names!

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Serious Blog Design Flaws

10. On September 11, 2008 at 8:21 pm Barbara Swafford responded with... #

Hi Joanna,

Your post is very timely. I’m in the process of seriously thinking of how to brand me and my blog. The ebook sounds like just what I need. Thank you!

11. On September 12, 2008 at 1:13 am Andrew responded with... #

Carving your own identity is something which is absolutely essential in any form of writing.

Authors who try to imitate the style of others rarely impress me, and I am rarely engaged by their writing. Writers should bring something unique to the table, and one thing all of us can bring is our own personality.

12. On September 12, 2008 at 10:52 am Joanna

Barbara, I’m glad to see (from this morning’s post) that you found the e-book useful. There’s a lot that’s relevant to blogs and bloggers - plus it’s well written and easy to read!

Andrew, that’s a very good point. We all need to find our own writing voice reflecting our values, experience, language patterns and personality. Sometimes that can take a while - but it’s great when you get there, for you as a writer and for everyone reading your work.

13. On March 10, 2009 at 12:30 am David Atkinson responded with... #

Just downloaded Chris’s ebook.

This is a topic I have needed some guidance with.

Many thanks for the recommendation.

David Atkinsons last blog post..Can Facebook,Twitter and MySpace Teach You How to Write?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How to Control and Maximize Your Personal Brand at Strategy Stew - October 28, 2008

[...] Respect Yourself To Build Your Personal Brand [...]