Can’t Get To Vegas? Come and Expo Here

It seems like everyone who’s anyone in the blogging world is going to be in Las Vegas this weekend.  (Well Chris, Lorelle, Liz, Darren, Glenda, Wendy to mention but a few…)

If, like me, you can’t get to Blog World Expo I thought we could do a bit of expo-ing amongst ourselves.

If you were at a conference of all the movers and shakers in the blogging world…

What would you most like to learn?

What tip, idea, tactic or strategy would you most like to share?

Feel free to share links, shamelessly promote your blog or network like crazy in the comment box!

I’ll leave the invitation open all weekend :-)

Photo Credit: The Sign Says It All II by mandj98 on flickr

Comments

1. Robyn McMaster says:

Joanna, what an ingenious way for we bloggers who cannot be part of Blog World Expo to enjoy a little Virtual Blogging conference.

The post I’d like to submit is “My Social Media Heroes.” That was a beautiful way to express how I feel about the blogging community we share.

Robyn McMasters last blog post..Write Inclusively to Welcome All

2. Robyn McMaster says:

Joanna, I just commented that I think it’s ingenious to think of having a Virtual Conference for those of us who can’t get to Blog World Expo. Here’s a blog I really like because I recognize the great blogging community we have. However, I included my link to “Recognizing Friends, My Social Media Heroes,” and I think because I did include a link for you the spam monster ate it. :-(

Robyn McMasters last blog post..Write Inclusively to Welcome All

Robyn, apologies on behalf of the spam eating monster. I have set it up so people can leave up to three links (which should be 2 plus the comment luv link) but for some reason it appears to find your comments + links particularly appetising. Must be because there’s so much meat in your posts :-)

Thanks Robyn for sharing that link - it was a very generous post, and I agree it captured the sense of community that so many of us enjoy and thrive in.

I’m glad you like the idea of the virtual expo :-)

5. Rosa Say says:

Joanna, I was fascinated watching you from the sidelines earlier this year when you readied for SOBcon, sharing your before and after impressions with us. Blog Conferences have only one attraction for me, and that’s the opportunity to make face-to-face connections with people that I have come to know online, then beginning to meet some others. I honestly have a difficult time setting other kinds of goals for them with a higher expectation of what I can already achieve virtually or in selected partnerships. So I am quite interested in seeing what everyone says here in your comment boxes this coming weekend; this was a good idea and you continue to be such a fabulous Mea Ho‘okipa (generous hostess) for us.

Rosa Says last blog post..Financial Literacy Has Never Been More Timely

6. Karen Swim
    Twitter: karenswim

Joanna, oh my gosh how many times have I seen that sign in Vegas? :-) When I lived in CA, we went to Vegas 4 times a year. Thanks for the fond memory and thank you for generously hosting the virtual conference. Like Rosa, the people are a main attraction. However, I would also like to learn/hear more case studies and quantitative analysis around social media. There are lots of tips about tools but is there numerical data to support their use? For example, Ellen Wilson is doing a self experiment on posting subscriber numbers - does the mere posting of numbers increase subscribers? If so is there a minimum threshold before it encourages growth?

Karen Swims last blog post..I’m Still Standing! I’m Still Strong!

Rosa, I tend to agree with you. When I was thinking about what I’d want to learn if going to blogworld expo or sobcon again next year I realised that the reason I’d be going would simply be to meet people. There’s so much material out there in the blogosphere I think you could pick up most other ideas from selective reading.

I suppose the other thing you might get is a burst of enthusiasm and motivation… or maybe some good business contacts. I’m not sure my little comment box can offer all that - maybe the enthusiasm and motivation if not the business :-)

Karen, I think quantitative analysis is a big question and one that’ll need to be addressed if social media is to build/retain credibility with a business community.

On subscriber numbers I think there’s ‘received wisdom’ out there but I’m not sure if anyone’s actually done the counting. I’ll see if I can dig any old posts out for you on this one.

One of the reasons I most enjoy following problogger is that Darren’s advice is based one what’s worked for him - maybe because he’s focused on making money from his blog he observes the before and after affect more closely than the rest of us who enjoy playing too much!

9. Ulla Hennig
    Twitter: ullahe

thank you for giving the space for epo-ing here.
    If I would be able to participate I would like to meet some people face-to-face and ask them questions like “how did you do it? How can I learn from you? How do you manage to be so efficient?” When reading blog posts we see only the results, and not the processes behind them. I would like to see and hear more about them - which I think is only possible when talking to people.

Ulla Hennigs last blog post..Friendly Waters

10. SpaceAgeSage says:

I would like to thank those I’ve learned from for their contributions to blogging and ask them what they get out these conventions.

SpaceAgeSages last blog post..Can wisdom contradict itself?

Ulla, I think that’s another vote for meeting face-to-face! Sounds like we’ll have to think of a way of a organising a European blogging convention…

SpaceAgeSage, that’s an idea to focus on thanking people for what we’ve already learned from them. I’m sure we’ll be picking up lots of ideas and suggestions based on what they’ve got out of this jamboree over the next few days and weeks.

12. Alina Popescu
    Twitter: alina_popescu

Hi Joanna,

Sorry for the late comment, but I was in bed all weekend :)

I have to agree the first thing I’d want to do at a conference, at least the first one, would be to meet everyone I only know virtually. Then I’d worry about learning and sharing :)

Seriously speaking, i’d love to see more such events in Europe, I’m sure it would be easy for a lot of us to get there. And I’d love to learn more on a variety of topic, from business tips, to blog marketing and pr, SMM and SMO, SEM and SEO, tech stuff…This start to look a little like my google reader categories :)

Alina Popescus last blog post..Monday Reading Roundup - Take #11

You’re never too late Alina, and I’m glad you had a nice weekend :-)

We really need to think about how to organise an event in Europe. I can already think of a lot of people it’d be great to have there. Where would be a good venue? Paris? Berlin?

Looks like you’ll be able to lead on the tech stuf. I don’t even know what SMM and SMO are!