Snippets

5 Thought Provoking Posts on the Theme of Respect

Here’s another great set of posts that explore and unpack some of the dimensions of writing with respect.  Like the first 10 I shared with you here, they don’t talk directly about respect, but get you thinking about respect for:

The power of your own writing (and publishing) voice

As a citizen publisher, this is what I seek to do online and off in my writing-whether writing a lesson plan, posting a blog, or engaging in dialogue with like minded learners, I know that my voice matters.

Angela Maiers writing at Joyful Jubilant Learning learns some powerful lessons from a 5 year old citizen publisher: Citizen Publishing - Lessons from Hayley

Your critical faculties as a blog reader and internet consumer

At the Parting Place the Charlatans traded brightly colored boxes of air for currency from every nation. The followers oohed and aahed about their purchase and declared it as The Answer. Everyone believed because how could so many people be wrong. The Charlatans made boxes of every size and even gave away free bonuses and as word spread the valley filled with people eager to buy air.

Karen Swim looks into the future of life on the internet: will we follow blindly or learn to trust our own critical faculties?  Find out what happens at Truth or Madness Monday at Words for Hire

The language you chose to use

“A vocabulary of truth and simplicity will be of service throughout your life.” – Winston Churchill

Sara gets you thinking about your vocabulary and the bigger picture on Simple Sunday at On Simplicity

Your choice of words to make all your readers feel welcome, and included

Exclusive language sets up a hierarchy, that lifts a speaker or writer above others. While higher social status leads to health for some, on the other side, folks who feel stressed by exclusion frequently experience high rates of cardiovascular and depression/anxiety-like syndromes.

Check out some practical tips from Robyn McMaster on how to use language to break down barriers and include all your readers - with a fascinating follow-on conversation in the comment box

Write Inclusively To Welcome All from Robyn McMaster at Brain Based Biz

People on the other side of your social media ‘conversations’

Have you ever known someone who had an almost uncanny ability to insert themselves into every verbal transaction? I once worked with a woman like that. She even managed to make the introduction of a guest speaker all about herself, going into detail-irrelevant detail-about some vague connection she had with the speaker.

Conversations take natural turns and wander away from the topic at hand; that’s normal ebb and flow. Taking over someone else’s comment thread, however, or purposely diverting it in another direction, amounts to hijacking.

Are You Conversationally Tone-Deaf? by Connie Reece guest writing at Conversation Agent

I hope you enjoy exploring these thought provoking posts.

This is a contribution to the theme of writing with respect.  I write to a monthly theme - this month it’s respect - with posts, links and reader participation projects focused around that theme or value.

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Tags:

10 Responses to “5 Thought Provoking Posts on the Theme of Respect”

1. On September 24, 2008 at 1:36 pm Jamie Simmerman responded with... #

I especially enjoyed, “Are You Conversationally Tone Deaf?”. Thanks for the post!

Jamie Simmermans last blog post..You Can Help a Desperate Writer!

2. On September 24, 2008 at 2:03 pm Angela Maiers responded with... #

Joanna- speaking of respect-another fantastic way to show respect to your readers is to always push them to think differently, deeper, and stretch their minds!

You show me that respect every time you post! What a great collection of though-provoking posts about this important theme. I am honored to be apart of the conversation, and look forward to extending this dialogue to my teachers and readers. You make me a better writer!

Angela Maierss last blog post..Invest in Teachers not Programs!

3. On September 24, 2008 at 7:21 pm Joanna

Jamie, it was a good one wasn’t it? I think most of us know people like that… in ‘real life’ as well as in social media. I know I do anyway…

4. On September 24, 2008 at 7:23 pm Joanna

Angela, I hadn’t thought of it like that, but you’re right. I always get that feeling when I read Robyn McMaster’s blog - stretched, but in a way that makes me feel she’s coaching, encouraging, cheer-leading us to use all of our minds, not telling us what to do. It’s a very respect-ful way of writing.

Thanks again for your own great post about the lessons from Hayley - it was very powerful

5. On September 26, 2008 at 12:33 am Robyn McMaster responded with... #

Joanna, thanks for pointing out my post on writing with inclusive language to welcome more readers. You sum it up really well. When you come down to it, it is a matter of respect.

On the other hand, Joanna, I appreciated your advice from the view of a writing coach:

“My only caveat would be that some of the more abstract language has less vitality and impact than the specific of ‘man’ or ‘woman’ - person just doesn’t do it in quite the same way - so we need to take care we don’t overdo things and lose the sense of humanity and connection that we’re trying to create.”

I have enjoyed hearing views from many people. I worried that it was a “hot topic.” But the discussion following has been rich indeed.

Thanks.

Robyn McMasters last blog post..Don’t fear the pauses!

6. On September 26, 2008 at 9:21 am Joanna

Robyn, I thought you handled the post and the ensuing conversation really well.

It reflected what I’d encourage others to do: to establish a positive intention beyond the heat of the hot topic… like “exploring ways to use inclusive language”, or “sharing approaches and best practice in order to include all our readers”.

People respond to the intention rather than the potential provocation of the topic.

Plus your readers know you, and know you only raise things in order to learn, improve and develop. I think all of that was reflected in the rich follow on conversation in the comment box.

7. On September 28, 2008 at 12:12 am Bo Tipton responded with... #

I have always thought that good writing would always leave the reader changed if only in a small way. The thing that I find more then anything else is that good writing changes the author as much as the reader. It is not a one was street. We should strive to teach, improve with all of our writings even if we are the only ones that learn or improve. Wonderful blog and I will be back again.
    Thank you for the effort you have put into it.

Bo Tiptons last blog post..It is about time

8. On September 28, 2008 at 8:37 pm Joanna

Bo, thanks very much for your comment and the feedback on the blog. I appreciate it very much.

Your point about how writing changes us, even in some small way, is very well made. I think readers can tell when writing comes from that place and that’s one of the reasons it resonates in a different way with them too.

I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Some Rainy Weekend Link Love | Freelance Writing Jobs - September 28, 2008

[...] 5 Thought Provoking Posts on the Theme of Respect at Confident Writing [...]

2. 10 More Insights Into Writing With Respect | Confident Writing - March 8, 2010

[...] Angela Maiers from Angela Maiers.Com [...]