Snippets

Smooth Crossings

Crossing OverWell, I made it safely to the other side.

After a week of terrible rainy weather in Edinburgh, the day of my move dawned fair… and stayed dry all day.

The crossing over the water was soft and smooth - a beautiful welcome and introduction to my new home.

I’ve been busy over the last week unpacking, sorting, gardening, exploring, diying and enjoying the company of family visitors.

Finally got my broadband up and running today, and my IT gremlins seem to be have been sorted too (touch wood) so I’ll be back blogging ‘properly’ from Monday.

Thanks all of you for your good wishes in my move. I hope to pop over to your own sites as soon as I can to see what you’ve been up to in my absence!

Photo Credit: Crossing Over by Joanna Young on Flickr.  If you’d like to see more photos of the part of the Scottish west coast I’ve moved to keep an eye on my photostream on flickr - I’m sure to be adding more pictures over the next few days…

19 Responses to “Smooth Crossings”

1. On August 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm Ricardo Bueno responded with... #

Congratulations on a successful move! And welcome back to the blog-o-sphere (at least I mean for having your wifi up and running :-p)…

Ricardo Buenos last blog post..Solve. Don’t Sell! Be Personable. And Respect Others.

2. On August 23, 2008 at 10:56 pm Bo responded with... #

How marvelous for you. Happy home settling.

Bos last blog post..Red Dancing Skirt

3. On August 23, 2008 at 11:31 pm Cath Lawson responded with... #

Hi Joanna - I was wondering how you were getting on. Glad you’re ok - and that you can actually get broadband on an island.

How far was the boat ride from the mainland?

Cath Lawsons last blog post..Internet Popularity - Are You Faking It?

4. On August 24, 2008 at 12:37 am Brad Shorr responded with... #

Welcome home and welcome back online, Joanna. I’m so glad you’re finally where you want to be.

Brad Shorrs last blog post..Timing Is Everything for Your Blogging Style

5. On August 24, 2008 at 3:16 pm Ulla Hennig responded with... #

Welcome back online, Joanna! May you very much enjoy your new home!

Ulla Hennigs last blog post..Seagulls fighting

6. On August 24, 2008 at 4:33 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Joanna!!! Welcome back and congratulations on the move! You were missed! I will keep an eye out for those photos and look forward to starting the week out with you. Yay! You’re back! :-)

Karen Swims last blog post..Word Press 2.6.1

7. On August 24, 2008 at 5:46 pm Joanna

Hi Ricardo, thanks! It’s great to arrive back to comments and conversation - the best bit of blogging

Bo, thanks. I’m having fun. With a garden to explore and cultivate as well as the house… it’s hard making myself come back to the pc!

Cath, technically I’m on a peninsula not an island - there is a road to the mainland but it’s a long way round. The boat journey is about 25 minutes - long enough to feel you’re making a transition. There is broadband here - and on most, maybe all, of the remoter islands too. The wonders of modern technology!

Brad, thanks :-) I think you’ll like it when you get over here!

Ulla, thank you so much for the good wishes!

Karen, thanks, and for the good wishes as I went along. It meant a lot to know you were thinking of me.

8. On August 24, 2008 at 5:51 pm Jeanne Dininni responded with... #

Glad you’re getting settled in! Best wishes to you in your new home!

Jeanne

9. On August 24, 2008 at 7:24 pm Joanna

Thanks Jeanne :-)

10. On August 24, 2008 at 9:27 pm DebMc responded with... #

Mmmmmmmm, you’ve enchanted me with that photo. I love Scotland. We have ties to Barra…loose ties in name only, but I’m holding on to them.

I’m glad you survived the move. Happy settling!

DebMcs last blog post..On Your Mark

11. On August 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm Meryl K. Evans responded with... #

Glad the move is done, Joanna! Once in a while, I start looking at houses… but then I bring myself back to reality when I think of packing and moving… and selling my home.

Of course, there’s the internet. I rarely hear of smooth stories when people move into their new homes and work with the company to get their internet set up. Most of us can live without TV, but not our internet.

Welcome back and enjoy your new home!

Meryl K. Evanss last blog post..Big Labor Day Sale at Big Fish

12. On August 25, 2008 at 2:38 pm Soultravelers3 responded with... #

Congrats on both of your moves. Wow, you make it look easy! I waved to you when we were visiting your beautiful city as you were moving. ;)

We moved our website from Imac to Typepad Pro this winter and it was a LOT of work as we hand did much of it. I am sure you are glad that you are on the other side of things now.

Take time to breathe and enjoy these new beginnings….always an exciting time!

Soultravelers3s last blog post..Viana do Castelo & Vigo

13. On August 25, 2008 at 2:47 pm Joanna

Thanks for the wave! Moving both virtual and real was made a lot easier by help from friends (and family). I am taking the time to enjoy it - such sweet air to breathe in, I can’t get enough of it just now

Hope you’re enjoying your travels - where are you now?

14. On August 25, 2008 at 2:51 pm Joanna

Meryl, it’s a lot of hassle I know, and I was very lucky to sell my house just before the market collapsed. I’m glad I did it though, and fingers crossed, the internet is working fine. You’re right - I couldn’t do without it!

15. On August 25, 2008 at 2:52 pm Joanna

Deb, I think I remember us talking about family history connections to the islands before. These connections mean a lot - highlanders never forget where they’re from! I’ve not been to Barra yet, but hope to get there before too long. It sounds wonderful

16. On August 25, 2008 at 9:25 pm Karen Putz responded with... #

Glad you’re getting settled in! Welcome back to the blogosphere! You’ve been missed!

Karen Putzs last blog post..The Power of Visualization and the Power of a Number

17. On August 25, 2008 at 9:46 pm Joanna

Karen (Putz) - thanks! I’ve missed you and that wonderful smile too :-)

18. On August 26, 2008 at 1:41 am Soultravelers3 responded with... #

To answer your question, we are in rural Sweden being terribly spoiled by friends we met on the internet years ago. I’m living a country life in a cottage from the 1800′s with chickens, cat, sunflowers etc..learning the culture through food, mushroom hunting and song. It is an idyllic setting…plus the best internet connection of our trip this year. Ain’t life grand?

Soultravelers3s last blog post..Viana do Castelo & Vigo

19. On August 26, 2008 at 8:55 pm Joanna

Wow - that sounds heavenly. I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy blogging about it!