Come On In: The Door’s Open!

delicate hand doorknockerPhew! Am I glad that’s done. I think I’m finally ready to take the wrappers off and invite you in and have a wander round…

Yes, I’ve finally made the switch from TypePad to WordPress. With 441 posts and goodness only knows how many links and images that was a lot of moving. Give me some crates and cardboard boxes any day!

I’m sure a few things will have got shoogled around in the move and I know I’ve lost some images (I can get them back, but it would take a while) but as far as I can see most things are now operational (ish… because I don’t want to jinx anything!)

Please do pop over and have a look round the new site. I’m particularly pleased with the layout of the comments - given how important the conversation is round here that seems like a significant added bonus - not to mention all the other things I’m hoping WordPress will do for me once I’ve got settled in.

Still got to work out how to get the layout right for images, but that’s fixable… in a while.

There are a few things you could do for me if you’ve a moment:

• Please do pop over and say hello!
  • If you comment here often you might want to register a photo of yourself with Gravatar, so your picture will show up next to your comment
  • Let me know if you come across any broken links (or worse!)
  • If you have a link in your blogroll to my site please could you make sure it’s pointed to www.confidentwriting.com rather than the old Typepad address - thank you :-)

I’m hoping that I’ve rescued most urls for links you might have made to individual posts in the past. But if they’re broken… c’est la vie (as a Texan might say)

If I’ve linked to you in the past you might notice a series of pings and trackbacks coming your way - these were the links I was sending you all along but TypePad didn’t manage to tell you about!

Fingers crossed the feed will still work so you shouldn’t need to do anything to update it….

I will eventually write up the experience - the good, the bad, and the ugly - to add to my first post on moving from TypePad to WordPress… but I think I’ll let the dust settle for a while. I don’t think I could face thinking about permalinks and post slugs again for a little while!

Photo Credit: Delicate Door Knocker by Anduze Traveller

Comments

1. Robert Hruzek says:

Joanna, I’m so excited you’ve finally moved Confident Writing to WP! Welcome to the BIG pool!

Robert Hruzeks last blog post..What’s With the Big “G”?

2. Robert Hruzek says:

Nice layout, Joanna; very professional and welcoming. But I hope your photo shows up again - it’s always nice to see the face behind the writing.

Robert Hruzeks last blog post..What’s With the Big “G”?

3. Brad Shorr says:

Joanna, Very nice indeed! I know you will love your new home on WordPress. I’m changing your blogroll listing now!

Brad Shorrs last blog post..How Useful Are Google Alerts?

4. Lillie Ammann says:

Congratulations on your lovely new home! I’m tired just thinking about what you’ve had to do. :-)

5. SpaceAgeSage says:

Awesome! Welcome to the WordPress neighborhood! Your posts came into my Google Reader just fine at 11:22am (Colorado time, that is).

6. Scott McIntyre says:

Congratulations, Joanna, I love your new look!

Can’t wait for Chapter 2 :-)

7. Joe says:

Hey Joanna,
    Nice digs. Almost as pretty as my favorite pool-playing hostess. ;-)
    Oh, and I am one of the recipients of the latent trackbacks, thanks. :-)

8. Rosa Say says:

Ho‘omaika‘i‘ana Joanna— congratulations! You did a fabulous job (and got me to finally register with Gravatar :) I LOVE your Talking (story) Points heading. Girl, you continue to inspire; I can see (again) why I need to get on the WP bandwagon soon.

9. Shari Smothers says:

Hi Joanna,
    Your site looks fantastic! Congratulations, indeed. It’s a great new look.

Shari Smotherss last blog post..a new group writing project

10. StoneWriter says:

Ditto to everything everyone before me has said. You got me thinking about moving over, too.

I don’t know though, I’m not as energetic as you.

Robert, thanks for the encouragement to join the rest of you and have more fun swimming! Good point about the picture - I’ve fixed it now… temporarily at least.

Brad, thanks :-) It’s good to have you and Robert here as my first commenters!

Lillie, me too! I’m just going to put it out of my mind for a while and enjoy tidying up :-)

SpageAgeSage, thanks for the warm welcome to the neighbourhood! I can already tell this is going to be great community to be part of. I hope you won’t get fed up with me asking too many technical questions!

Scott, thank you. Chapter 2? You mean I have to keep writing now?! I just want to sit here and admire my lovely archives!

Joe, you’re too kind :-)

Rosa, it’s great to see your photo here - and no doubt elsewhere too in conversations around the blogosphere. It does make a difference to the conversation doesn’t it? And I found I was pointing links to a lot of comments from you as I was sorting out the interlinks… so I’m glad people will people will be able to see you properly!

Shari, thank you - and for your contribution to the ideal writing weekend project. I’ll be over as soon as I can to read it.

StoneWriter, it’s worth thinking about - it wouldn’t be so much work if you didn’t have hundreds of posts. Also depends how concerned you are about the incoming links. You could just import the content and not worry about any old links being broken - you’d soon get new ones.

I’m afraid I was too attached to the links I’d built up - I wanted to do what I could to maintain them.

Good luck whatever you do

13. Brad Shorr says:

I knew your familiar face would pop up on the sidebar before the end of the day!

Brad Shorrs last blog post..How Useful Are Google Alerts?

14. Debbie Yost says:

Hi Joanna,
    I’m sorry I haven’t been around in a while. Things have just been crazy. I love the new look. I did notice my feed reader fixed the subscription so hopefully that’s happening for everyone else. I’ll have to remember to check my blogroll. With summer almost over and the kids going back to school I hope to be able to drop in more often and comment. I haven’t forgotten you!

Debbie Yosts last blog post..Ability Tuesday

15. Ulla Hennig
    Twitter: ullahe

I hope I am not too late with my congratulations!
    Ulla

Ulla Hennigs last blog post..The Grapes of Joy

16. Alina Popescu
    Twitter: alina_popescu

Hi Joanna,

The new layout looks great and up to now everything is working as it should. I can imagine how hard it has all been during this move, glad to see you got everything in place. Now for the next big move, I’m still waiting for those photos :)

Alina

Alina Popescus last blog post..A Book a Week: Jonathan Safran Foer - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Debbie, no apology required and thanks for taking the time to come over. I’m sure you must be busy looking after the kids! Likewise I’m always reading you, but don’t often comment - doesn’t mean I’m not there :-)

Ulla, not at all, it’s great to see so many friends here, makes me feel more at home. Still getting used to it!

Alina, thank you. I think the real move might be a bit easier than this one… hope so anyway. Promise to send pics when I get to the other side

18. Karen Swim
    Twitter: karenswim

Hi Joanna! I am a day late, and I’m so sorry! Congratulations! I love the new look, well done! It’s calm and inviting,just like the proprietor. :-) I think I might agree, a physical move may be easier than moving a blog! Congratulations, I know you will make beautiful memories here in your new home!

19. Lea Woodward
    Twitter: leawoodward

Well done Joanna - you did it! Was on standby but clearly you’re a WP whizz already :)

Hope the house move goes as successfully as this one.

Lea Woodwards last blog post..The 2 Key Reasons Most Businesses Struggle

20. Ruby says:

Hi Joanna!
    The new site is looking good!

Rubys last blog post..wha’s like us?

21. Ribeezie says:

Congratulations on what appears to be a successful move! [I'm sure it was really nerve-racking, but you did it! :-P ]

I’m really liking the site design… Personally, I’m scared of making a jump to wordpress off of typepad but I like a lot of the features that wordpress has. Anyway, lookin’ good! I’ll catch ya again later…

Karen, there’s no such thing as being too late round here! Thanks for your encouragement - all the way from there to here. It helped knowing you were all rooting for me!

Lea, thanks, and for the offer of help - it seems I was doggedly determined to try and figure it out for myself. Still a lot to learn about WP but I’m hoping getting past the switch from one to the other was the biggest hurdle

Ruby - cheers!

Ricardo, I was scared and reluctant too for a long time, but I could see the advantages of WP and Typepad did too many things recently that made me lose confidence. But I think it’s very much a personal decision - there’s no right or wrong platform, just what works for you

23. Karen Wallace says:

Congratulations Joanna! Welcome to wordpress - having made the transition myself I know you’ve made the right decision. I love the feel of this site, you’ve done a fantastic job (and I have gone straight away and changed my link to you).

I look forward to many wonderful inspirations from you as you continue your blogging journey!

Karen x

Thanks Karen, I hope so - still feels like a lot of work and tinkering about just now… but I guess things will settle down. Glad you like the look and feel of the place :-)

25. [...] Bit of a crazy month - moved blog, moved house, and got a wonderful welcome [...]