Snippets

Purposeful Powerful Questions In Poems: Reader Project

A comment from Bo (at Seeded Earth) on the ‘questions’ series last week gave me the idea for a reader participation project. She mentioned that it would be interesting to think about how purposeful questions could work their way into poetry.

Now I’m not going to try and tackle that one (still recovering from the questions series), but it did get me thinking about questions and poems.

Questions in the lines of a poem that have stuck in our minds, lingered in our imaginations, worked their way into our hearts, changed the way we live our lives.

So the project is this: to share the question (or questions) from a poem (or poems) that have had a powerful impact on you.

Non-rules of the project

• Share the question (and the source) on a post on your blog
  • You can include more than one question - I know I’m going to!
  • To keep it simple you can if you like just share the question (or questions) and the poem it’s from. (Single line posts with quotes can be very powerful after all)
  • If you want you can talk about how the question has moved you or changed the way you thought… or explore how and why the question works and what you can learn from that… or whatever. It’s your blog after all!
  • You can, of course, include a question from your own poem.
  • Link back to this post (and if you can, comment here to make sure I pick it up)
  • Post your entry by Friday 27th June, midnight, your time
  • I’ll do a round up including a link to your post in early July

I look forward to sharing some powerful, purposeful, poetic questions with you

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “Purposeful Powerful Questions In Poems: Reader Project”

1. On June 17, 2008 at 1:50 am Karen Swim responded with... #

Joanna, this sounds very interesting! I gained a lot from the questions series and have referred people to it as a great point of reference. I think you may singlehandedly be causing my brain to form new pathways! :-)

Karen
    xx

2. On June 17, 2008 at 10:33 am Joanna Young

Karen, what a compliment! Thank you. The questions series stretched my brain too, but in a good way. I’m glad people have got so much out of it.

3. On June 17, 2008 at 9:37 pm Confident Writing responded with... #

Won’t You Join The Dance? On Purposeful Questions and Nonsense Poems

‘Will you walk a little faster?’ said a whiting to a snail,’There’s a porpoise close behind us, and he’s treading on my tail.See how eagerly the lobsters and the turtles all advance!They are dancing on the shingle - will you

4. On June 19, 2008 at 4:07 pm amypalko responded with... #

I’ve joined the dance ;-)
    You can find my contribution here:
    Hope you like it!
    Amy
    xx

5. On June 19, 2008 at 7:27 pm Joanna Young

Thanks so much Amy - it’s wonderful. I look forward to highlighting it when I do the round up.

6. On June 20, 2008 at 8:46 am Confident Writing responded with... #

The Sun by Mary Oliver: One Big Powerful Question

I was going to include two short, powerful questions as part of my powerful questions in poems series. They were what I had in mind when I first came up with the idea. But when I was looking through sets

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Do You Think You Can Tell? Powerful Questions That Wake Us Up | Confident Writing - February 11, 2009

[...] Thanks to those of you contributed to the conversation about powerful questions in poems. [...]

2. The Sun by Mary Oliver: One Big Powerful Question | Confident Writing - February 11, 2009

[...] was going to include two short, powerful questions as part of my powerful questions in poems series. They were what I had in mind when I first came up with the idea. But when I was looking [...]