Snippets

Introducing Powerful Web Content

The focus on purpose this month has seen me reflecting on my own purpose: writing, blogging, business, personal, life purpose - and how they do, or don’t, support each other. I’ve also been distilling and applying the learning points from SobCon08, in particular about business and blogging.

To keep a very long story short, I’m going to focus the business side of what I do on helping people to create powerful web content.

The service that might of greatest interest to you, dear readers, is blog coaching to help you jump start your blog. That might be help with:

• boosting your confidence
  • getting clear on your blogging purpose
  • taking on a new challenge like adding podcasts to your blog
  • finding your writing voice
  • tapping into your original motivation
  • matching your blogging activities against your business and blogging purpose
  • developing your writing style so your word power (human, personal, authentic) shines through
  • adapting your approach to meet your aims (like building community or hosting conversation)

If you’re interested you can find out more here: Jump Start coaching

The other services I’m offering are aimed at people who do not live so much of their lives on line, providing training, skills and support to people in Scotland - small businesses, groups, coaches and consultants - who want help

• getting started with a blog based website
  • adapting the style of their written material
  • adding power to their web presence

I’ve created a new site to promote the new service. Without further ado: here it is.

Powerful Web Content

Powerful Web Content

Introducing Powerful Web Content

If you pop over to the site you’ll see that it combines a blog with a traditional looking website. It’s built using the Essence theme from iThemes, which I think works a treat.

You can read more at the site about the benefits of a blog that looks like a website but I have to say my decision to go down that route was influenced a lot by the discussion we had here about definitions of blogs - what they are and what they’re not - so thanks very much for your input to my decision making process.

The site does have a blog (to the side) but my intention is to blog there in a totally different way. At the most, once a fortnight, with pieces that are less conversational and more ‘how to’. This means in effect ‘not doing’ some things too, things that I do (and enjoy) here because they fit the aims of this blog. That includes “not doing”:

• Lots of linking out to other blogs
  • Pieces of personal reflection
  • Writing to generate conversation and build community
  • A busy schedule of posts several times a week
  • Participation in group projects and memes

It doesn’t mean I’m not going to do that here - far from it - just that I’m going to blog at the new place in a very different way. It’s partly experiment of course, but partly because I believe this is a much more credible and sustainable model for business based blogs, and if I want to encourage others to try it I need to be doing and modelling that behaviour myself.

What It Means For Confident Writing

Setting up the new site, blog, and business services has forced me to get clear on the purpose not just of the new activity but the purpose of this blog (and why I love it so). It’s very much about learning, sharing and creating together as part of a dynamic and supportive community. There’s no way I want that to stop or slow down - if anything I want to keep building it… though I would like to slow my posting schedule down (if I could find a way to switch my brain off!)

I will continue to teach and coach people to find their writing voice, to realise the power of their own words, to achieve their writing goals and, of course, to write with confidence. If you want to work with a writing coach to get your writing moving, find out more here.

And I’m going to keep building in new ways to support this aim, including a book that I’m working on and some more workshops that are in the pipeline (though a bit distant just now).

And I will continue to blog here as a place to share writing tips and virtual coaching, to share ideas and learning with a fantastic community of people, to have fun, to share more personal ideas and reflections, to experiment and keep learning about how to make a blog brilliant.

Thanks

I’ve spoken to some of you about this plan, while others have influenced, guided and inspired me without necessarily realising that’s what you were doing! Thank you to my online board of advisers:

Emma Bird, Robert Hruzek, Cat Morley, Amy Palko, Yvonne Russell, Rosa Say, Brad Shorr, Liz Strauss, Karen Swim, Jon Swanson, Karen Wallace

And all of you, who inspire me, daily.

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Tags:

26 Responses to “Introducing Powerful Web Content”

1. On June 23, 2008 at 8:48 am amypalko responded with... #

Wow, Joanna, how exciting! Congratulations on your new venture - I’m heading over now to subscribe :-)

2. On June 23, 2008 at 9:35 am Rosa Say responded with... #

Joanna, I just did a very quick click through of all your new sites as it is way past my bedtime here in Hawaii, and I am absolutely amazed at how busy you have been. *Wow*** is all I can think of to say right now, and it is not nearly a big enough word for how impressed I am! I am going to bed to dream of being just like you when I manage to grow up. Woman, you are an inspiration: There has been a lot of talk since SOBCon, but nothing like the dynamo activator you are!

Ho‘omaika‘i ‘ana – Congratulations, and Ka l? hiki ola - Now THIS is the dawning of a new day!

3. On June 23, 2008 at 12:03 pm Robyn responded with... #

Joanna, you offer such an efficient plan for writing progress as a blogger. I can see that people coming to you would grow in blogging skills since it starts with powerful writing. In addition you have built a toolchest of powerful tech tools as well. You’ll work great with clients. What you have is a plan for success! All the best. I’m here cheering you on!

4. On June 23, 2008 at 12:07 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Joanna, Wow, you’ve really hit a home run, or whatever they say in Scotland that means to do a fantastic job. Your new model is going to be a great success!

5. On June 23, 2008 at 12:09 pm Liz Strauss responded with... #

Congratulations!
    I raise a glass of virtual chamgagne. What a beautiful idea and a perfect title for a business that you will make into a one we’ll stand back and point to. Already it’s amazing!

6. On June 23, 2008 at 12:29 pm Dianne responded with... #

Wow! What an inspiration you are Joanna!

Congratulations, the new site is wonderful! I’m really excited for you, wishing you much success and happiness in your new venture!

With your wonderful advice and encouragement recently, I am beginning “to find my writing voice, to realise the power of my own words” and am working towards “achieving (erm, well setting anyway) my writing goals and, of course, to write with confidence!”

Thank you!
    :o )

7. On June 23, 2008 at 1:10 pm Karen Putz / DeafMom responded with... #

Way to go, Joanna! You’re an example of taking what you learn and putting it into action. :) Wishing you the best with the new endeavor!

8. On June 23, 2008 at 1:16 pm Robert Hruzek responded with... #

A big ol’ Yee-Haw to ya, Joanna! As usual, you make me exhausted just thinking about all the ways you’ve expanded and grown. And I am pleased as punch to be named as an “advisor” in your list. Thanks a herd!

9. On June 23, 2008 at 7:22 pm Joanna Young

Thanks so much for the wonderful feedback and support everyone!

Amy, thank you, for everything. I’ll plot more with you once your chapter’s finished!

Rosa, your teaching and coaching and photos this month have inspired me to seize the day. Ka l? hiki ola. The dawning of a new day. Thank you.

Robyn, thank you. You’ve been with me every step of my blogging journey so far, and your support and encouragement has been phenomenal.

10. On June 23, 2008 at 7:27 pm Joanna Young

Brad, thanks. I’m sure you can see any number of conversations between us reflected here :-)

Liz, thanks for taking the time to stop by on a big launch day for you too. SobCon08 gave me so much impetus to own my space, to be all that I can be, thank you.

Dianne, that is music to my ears. I am so happy when I get feedback like that, which is how I trust and believe this is my purpose. It’s also wonderful to see your words and creativity flowing, just wonderful.

Karen, I do believe in modelling what I coach and teach(which is hard work sometimes!) so thank you for that feedback. Having friends like this online makes the task so much easier though doesn’t it?

Robert, sorry about the commenting problem earlier but glad your voice still burst through. A Texan Yee-Haw! is the perfect expression for how I’m feeling right now. You’ve helped often, even when you weren’t doing it deliberately your stories and posts have given me nudges and pointers. Not to mention your awesome friendship and support. Thanks :-)

11. On June 23, 2008 at 9:15 pm Cath Lawson responded with... #

Hi Joanna - You’ve been busy. I love the new blog - the theme is amazing. I had a hard time choosing between that theme and the one I went for and I must admit, looking at yours, I wonder if I chose the right one. I think I’ll definitely choose that one for a site I’m planning.

It does look more like a website and that is a good way to go, because you still get the benefits of getting listed on the search engines faster but it doesn’t look to much like a blog. Congratulations - I know it’s going to be a huge success.

12. On June 23, 2008 at 9:37 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Joanna, I was so excited as I read that when it came time to post a comment I typed your name where mine should go. LOL! CONGRATULATIONS! I have watched you grow more confident in your purpose as you have graciously coached and mentored us to greater writing. I am overjoyed about this next step in your journey and excited to celebrate it with you and promote it to others. In our little blogging community, it is so wonderful to watch as our blogs grow from toddlers to tweens to teens and then mature adults. You are a confident writing coach Joanna and I am so so glad at your growing success!!!

Much love, Karen

13. On June 23, 2008 at 11:02 pm Terry Starbucker responded with... #

Hey Joanna, now I have goosebumps! :-)

Congratulations on embarking on the next leg of your life’s journey. May it be full of joy and fulfillment. It is so well deserved.

Go for it!!

My very best regards,
    Terry

14. On June 24, 2008 at 12:17 am Rosa Say responded with... #

Now that the congratulations have been expressed (and daylight has arrived for me!) I had to come back and add another comment for you Joanna. Initially I was almost taken aback by the surprise of what you burst on the scene with in presenting PowerfulWebContent.com when I shouldn’t have been: All the indicators have been here in what you so unselfishly continue to share with us on Confident Writing, and I know you to be an activator with a sense of urgency— truly, those are two of your key strengths.

This very posting is yet another brilliant example of a Joanna-authored ‘indicator’ I have learned to read more carefully. Our first reaction is to wish you our congratulations and best wishes, yet there is much to learn from within your post itself. Two things jump out at me in particular:

1. I think that answering this question of what our blogs should be versus what our online business presence should be (should we desire one) is a very timely question for many bloggers who have fallen into automatic pilot with certain habits, and this is particularly true of business bloggers. Social media is changing so much on a daily basis for digerati and the web-savvy, while luddites are getting more stubborn. Where do we fall? Which is the audience we target? Can we have both? (Luddites are not totally offline, just immensely directed and choosy.) You have made some of those decisions here, and you have gently told us where you think we are as the Confident Writing audience.

2. What “seasoned bloggers” viewed the blogscape to be is no longer familiar territory, and social media is eroding their blog-reading faithful at a rapid clip. I think the confusion falls within the realization that a blog community is not necessarily the same as a business website community, and many of us have been trying to blend them. Our earlier success at it may have given us a false sense of security and some blinders we now have to strip away in going forward. How unemotionally can we do that? Better yet, will there be a new blend that is possible and that may be emerging if only we can train our focus (and very powerful intentions) on seeing it?

Joanna, I went to bed last night incredibly proud of you as my friend. I woke up this morning and thought about you still as my spirit-spilling friend, but also profoundly awed and bursting with respect for you as my Confident Writing Coach and the Lifelong Learner who so brilliantly contributes to Joyful Jubilant Learning for me, and in guest postings for many others. You are billowing Joanna, and you blow me away.

Now back to work. It is still early afternoon on Monday for me, and with the example you set before me, I have a lot to do within my own Ka l? hiki ola too. When the student is ready the teacher appears, and with the way our amazing teacher is behaving right now, I encourage every single reader of Confident Writing to be that ready student.

15. On June 24, 2008 at 9:47 am Joanna Young

Cath, it’s pretty hard to choose isn’t it? And so many great themes out there.

“It does look more like a website and that is a good way to go, because you still get the benefits of getting listed on the search engines faster but it doesn’t look to much like a blog.”

You’re spot on with that, definitely.

Thanks for stopping by. It’s good to catch up with you.

Karen, your encouragement to me is a large part of what helps me to grow. Thank you once again for your feedback and support.

Terry, goosebumps eh? That’s a good sign for sure. Thanks for the encouragement for the next leg!

16. On June 24, 2008 at 10:31 am Karen responded with... #

I’ve had rather awful internet access problems that are hopefully being fixed tomorrow, tonight I’m on a borrowed line to try and do a little catch up with my dearest friends.

Sorry it’s taken me so long to add my voice and congratulations to the song that seems to surround you here. I am more than thrilled to be included in your online board of advisers - I consider you on mine also.

I’ll stop back soon to say a proper Hooray, but let me just say I love the new site, it looks fantastic and I cannot wait to explore further. I’m far from surprised, as I knew you were working on things big, and this reflects your talent, your heart and your wonderful, wonderful voice (both spoken and written).

Bravo, my friend, bravo.

17. On June 24, 2008 at 10:37 am Joanna Young

Rosa, you are right, this announcement does reflect a lot of thought and analysis and the combination of my focus on purpose and your coaching on the dawning of a new day has been very powerful for me.

I have been exploring these issues quietly here over the last few weeks. Not always coaching, often times learning, because I learn from the conversations but also from what I write. My own words reveal direction and truth to me in a way that I still find astonishing (and want to keep learning about).

I believe a new blend is entirely possible but it all stems from knowing your purpose. That’s the hard bit. The technology and the systems are there to allow us to do most anything.

Of course once you’re clear on your purpose it all starts to become fun and easy. You can go out looking for things that will help you deliver it, believing that they exist, and finding them. And nearly all of them are free or very low cost. How astonishing is that!

The language and labels matter too of course. I thought long and hard about how to describe the new site, service and product and powerful web content was the best thing I could come up with. It wasn’t just blogging.

Blogging is a tool, a means to an end - to share ideas, to make connections, to learn to trust our own voice.

We want to find ways to build in other things - photos, voice, social media conversations - that allow us to achieve that same end. Or whatever our particular aim, purpose or intention might be.

Thanks so much for your feedback and analysis Rosa. You’re helping me to keep on thinking things through. I look forward to many more such conversations with you.

18. On June 24, 2008 at 6:03 pm Joanna Young

Karen, sorry you’ve been having internet problems. Sorry too that you couldn’t see your comment here: there’s some strange delay for some people in commenting. I’ve asked Typepad to try and resolve it.

Thanks so much for your generous feedback and support. I love the way we can support, teach, coach and learn from each other. It means we can all keep on moving on to ever more brilliant things!

19. On June 25, 2008 at 7:49 am Confident Writing responded with... #

Are You Clear On Your Blogging Purpose?

It was great to get so much positive feedback on the new website and business venture: Powerful Web Content. I have to say it makes it a whole lot less daunting to launch something new when you’ve got a network

20. On June 26, 2008 at 3:37 am Rick Mahn responded with... #

Joanna, congratulations on the new endeavor! I’ve browsed through the site and believe you put together a well rounded package of services and expertise. Your ideas and work is an inspiration - I know it’ll be a great success.

Sorry to be two days late and and more than a few comments short lately. I’ve too many excuses lately for not stopping by all my blogging friends sites. Hopefully that’ll ease up sometime soon.

Really impressed with the design too - very easy to keep a person looking around finding new things!

Rick

21. On June 26, 2008 at 4:47 pm Joanna Young

Thanks very much for the feedback Rick and no need to apologise at all.

I love getting your comments but somehow you’re someone I always ‘know’ is listening anyway :-)

22. On June 27, 2008 at 3:28 pm cat responded with... #

Joanna, I am so chuffed for you! And what a logic step you’ve taken. Wow.

(here’s HUGE grins from me to you!)

23. On June 29, 2008 at 4:52 pm Joanna Young

Thanks Cat - much appreciated!

24. On July 2, 2008 at 10:37 pm Rebecca responded with... #

That sounds really interesting!

25. On July 3, 2008 at 9:20 am Joanna Young

Thanks Rebecca, I’m looking forward to seeing where it takes me.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Are You Clear On Your Blogging Purpose? | Confident Writing - March 8, 2010

[...] decisions that people need to make about how (or if) they adapt. Here’s an extract - the whole comment is worth reading for her perspective on this: What “seasoned bloggers” viewed the blogscape to be is no longer [...]