Group Writing Projects, Twitter with Confidence

Powerful Writing In 30 Words Or Less: Part III: Twitter Contributions

What does powerful writing mean to you?

That’s the question we’ve been exploring here this month, including contributions and definitions in 30 words or less. Last week I asked the same question on Twitter, and these were the answers I got:

Powerful writing impresses the brain. As in, disturbs the synapses & leaves a mark. Hopefully in a good way. Spiritspring

Powerful writing is writing that has a (hopefully) positive effect, on a person or a situation ….. or the whole world! Such is the power of words, we have to be careful how we wield them :o ) DMurphy_Rodgers

Powerful writing is writing that moves me (makes me feel, think or take action) DMurphy_Rodgers

Powerful writing (in fiction): Evocative, moving, compelling. NadineTouzet

Powerful writing means connecting with the reader in a way that generates a strong impact, feeling or response DazzlinDonna

Powerful writing? = it compels me to do/think/feel something; it compels me to have a reaction other than “so what?” Leawoodward

Topics that you are still thinking about days later that motivate you to reevaluate your own opinions. eeUS

It stirs up, captures, inspires. the words linger in your head long afterward. you write down quotes, or go back and reread. Captainstardust

Powerful writing is what makes ME want to write! rich, multilayered, evocative, beautifully arranged words make me want to do the same Captainstardust

Powerful writing engages the reader on more than one level, not just intellectual but emotional, spiritual, instinctual Captainstardust

Powerful writing accomplishes its goal. rjacabose

Powerful writing means getting into someone’s head and creating thought that stays and lingers for days Men With Pens

Impacting someone’s imagination with a visual scene they can’t shake Men With Pens

Powerful writing is writing that inspires you - it’s emotional Studio747

Powerful writing is the kind of prose which come from inspired intent. tldtim

Challenges me think about how I am and how I relate to others, especially with the women in my midwifery care SarahStewart

Powerful writing brings a spark of awareness in the reader’s mind. Charkamman

Something that touches your spirit and soul. Owlbert

It has the power to move the reader - ‘Jaguars Ripped my Flesh’ has such a chapter about the massacre of Turtles… or ‘Freakonomics’ - where I sat up and thought ‘you have helped me understand that topic’… or ‘Perfume’ where the whole book is written through the sense of smell… or ‘Travels With My Elephant’ by Mark Shand, when he has to leave the elephant at the end digitalmaverick

Powerful writing effects change: it enlightens, inspires, shocks, revitalises, clarifies. It demands a response. amypalko

There are some real gems in here, and hard to pick out just one or two. I have to confess though I did particularly enjoy Captainstardust‘s suggestion:

Powerful writing is what makes ME want to write! (Me too.)

For those of you who aren’t yet hooked on Twitter, here’s how the answers look on the screen.

Twitter Replies

Twitter Replies

I’ve cut and pasted the answers - normally they’d be interspersed with replies on all sorts of other things from what people are reading, what films they’re going to watch, a blog post that’s sparked an idea, or… all sorts of other things. I did this with SnagIt (with thanks to Rick Mahn for the idea) though I couldn’t work out how to embed the links too… Something for next time.

For more definitions of powerful writing:

Powerful Writing In 30 Words Or Less: Part I

Powerful Writing In 30 Words Or Less: Part II

Exploring The Dimensions Of Powerful Writing

If you want to add your definition, it’s not too late: just leave a comment here or send me a message on Twitter (@joannapaterson). All contributions will be published here.

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Powerful Writing In 30 Words Or Less: Part III: Twitter Contributions”

1. On April 24, 2008 at 12:30 pm Dianne responded with... #

Joanna, what a fab idea!

Thank you for sharing these, there are some great definitions of powerful writing here.

And I think it’s very clever of you to put them up as they appeared on Twitter (I wouldn’t know where to start!) Great idea though, for those who have been reluctant to look into Twitter, to show how unscary it really is … I might have joined sooner had I read a post like this!
    :o )

2. On April 24, 2008 at 4:45 pm amypalko responded with... #

From those great responses, Joanna, it’s very clear to me that you have attracted a great many wonderfully inspirational people into your online network. So many of those replies are not only describing what powerful writing is for them, but they also stand alone as examples of powerful writing in and of themselves.
    Most impressive!

3. On April 24, 2008 at 5:52 pm Joanna Young

Thank you Dianne, I hadn’t really thought of it like that before, but you’re right, seeing how Twitter can work (and how powerful it can be as a way of sharing words and ideas) might be a good way to tempt people in. (And then they’d be hooked and addicted like the rest of us!)

Thanks for sharing your own answers here too.

Amy, there are some gems here aren’t there? I love the way people respond to the challenge of compressing their thoughts into 140 characters, and also responding quickly, without too much editing.

I don’t know about you but I often find myself wondering at my own responses, as if thinking: wow, I didn’t realise I thought or knew that until I wrote it there.

Never mind the burned onions, Twitter gives us word power!

4. On April 24, 2008 at 5:57 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Joanna, I loved reading what the tweeps had to say about powerful writing. Each of their definitions evoked a response which I suppose is the hallmark of powerful writing. :-)

5. On April 24, 2008 at 6:48 pm Maria Palma responded with... #

Wow, Joanna, this is great! One word I saw that was repeated a few times was “inspire”. Thanks for sharing my thoughts ;)

6. On April 24, 2008 at 8:48 pm Joanna Young

Karen, that’s great: “evoking a response”. That’s one that’s come up with time and again. I love seeing these patterns and themes emerge - although each person has their own unique way of describing powerful writing. I’m learning so much from this exercise!

Maria, you’re right. The more I’ve explored this theme the closer the connections I see to inspiration, reaching into our power source and breathing out dragon fire…

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It was my privelege to publish them.

7. On April 24, 2008 at 10:26 pm Rosa Say responded with... #

Joanna, are you sure you are not meant to be in sales and marketing? You are the evangelist and fire starter every business dreams of having …wish my company could afford you full time!

First Voice Thread possibilities, and now you are raising the bar (or fertilizing the tree) with our Twitter perches. This is indeed very powerful.

I continue to love the 140-character magic on Twitter too - compare this to the rambling that can happen with LinkedIn Answers, though that can be great, and of completely different character too.

8. On April 24, 2008 at 10:53 pm Joanna Young

Rosa, any time you can want me to come and work with you just let me know and I’ll be there like a shot!

Honestly though, after so many years behind a firewall I’m like a child in a sweetie shop discovering so many wonderful ways to explore, to create, to connect, to experiment… can’t get enough of it at the moment.

The twitter answers in compressed form are an art-form aren’t they, and (a bit like your experience with the quotes we chose for you yesterday) reveal something vital and important about the person who’s selected those words.

I’m glad you liked this little experiment. I might have to have a little lie down after the powerful writing extravaganza, but it’s been a fantastic experiment and experience, with so many contributions to share. More still in the pipeline too!

9. On April 25, 2008 at 3:09 am David Bowman responded with... #

Powerful writing is that which makes me think in a new way.

10. On April 25, 2008 at 7:19 am Joanna Young

Hi David, thanks for joining in the conversation.

I’ll be bundling together this and other contributions into a further round up post, probably next week.

11. On August 5, 2008 at 3:58 pm Rick Mahn responded with... #

Joanna, this is a great encapsulation of powerful writing. One that demonstrates brevity as well. I’m glad that SnagIt is working for you, and thank you for the link.

Hope to find time to spend trading posts & comments with my SOBCon friends again soon. Its been a very busy summer with my technology clients, which is both good and bad.

Rick

12. On August 5, 2008 at 8:43 pm Joanna

Rick, I’m always happy to link to someone who teaches me so much! And was an early encourager to explore Twitter, and the brevity we could practice and demonstrate there :-)

I’m glad you’ve lots of work even if it’s keeping you busy!