Snippets

Planning Ahead For Chicago

As most of you will know I’m heading off tomorrow to go to Chicago: for a holiday, to meet some blogging friends, and to go to SobCon08, the business school for bloggers.

I’ve been gathering together ideas and suggestions on things to see and do from readers here and friends on Twitter. Here’s the list of suggestions and recommendations for things to do in Chicago, for any of you also lucky enough to be going to SobCon, or planning a trip to Chicago in the near future.

If you can’t get to SobCon don’t forget you can still learn with me. To sign up for the coaching consultation on applying the lessons to your blog and business just head over to this page, and send me your question before the conference starts on Friday evening.

I’ve written a few posts that are scheduled to appear while I’m away. I don’t like doing this as much as writing ‘live’, (kind of feels like I’m not really ‘here’ somehow) but I think it’s better than shutting shop for a week or so. I’ll try and reply to comments as we go but it might take me a bit longer than usual to get back to you.

Any other blog management things I should be thinking about before I go? What do you do with your blog when you go away?

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Planning Ahead For Chicago”

1. On April 28, 2008 at 7:29 am Catherine Morley responded with... #

What do I do? Well, luckily wifi (or at the least, an Internet connection) blankets a great deal of the world so I can still keep in touch.

But I try to …

1) Prepare posts in advance
    2) Check out the nearest coffee shops with wifi
    3) Make sure my hotel has a connection in the room

I noticed those addicted to twitter go crazy when they are out of range. Oh dear!

Have fun in the US Joanna. I’m not there again until October. It’s for the Seattle Meet Up, where a bunch of designers gather from all over and post about it (blog and forums) to the designers who couldn’t make it that year. Lots of fun.

2. On April 28, 2008 at 8:48 am Joanna Young

Ha! I’m hoping to lay off the twitter when I’m away and concentrate on speaking to the people who I meet. But the proof of the pudding….

Your meet up sounds fun. Eventually we’ll both be meeting up in the same time and the same place.

3. On April 28, 2008 at 9:04 am Lillie Ammann responded with... #

Have a wonderful time, Joanna. I’m excited for you.

4. On April 28, 2008 at 9:25 am Cath Lawson responded with... #

Hi Joanna - well done getting posts prewritten. When I was on an Arvon course a couple of weeks ago, I only managed to pre-write two posts. It did effect my traffic a little having less new stuff to read.

Have a great time in Chicago.

5. On April 28, 2008 at 11:50 am Robert Hruzek responded with... #

I’m all fixed up this week with a new post already written and scheduled every day . I’m so proud of myself - because it’s so rare that I’m actually so prepared!

No really, if I’m away I generally like to have stuff ready to go on schedule. The big worry now is when I get back and have to jump back into the fray almost immediately!

Blogging can sometimes be like the mail; it… never… stops! :-\

6. On April 28, 2008 at 1:17 pm Joanna Young

Thanks Lillie!

Cath, best laid plans and all that… I’m sure you’ll have learned things from the course that will inform future blog posts anyway

Robert - “it never stops” - I know! One of the things that most intrigues me about sobcon is the idea of the exit plan. I am fascinated by the concept of being allowed to stop!

7. On April 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Have a safe and speedy trip, Joanna. We’re all set to roll out the red carpet for you.

8. On April 28, 2008 at 2:14 pm --Deb responded with... #

Just be sure to wave hello as you fly past NY and northern NJ, Joanna! Have a great trip.

9. On April 28, 2008 at 3:42 pm Debbie Yost responded with... #

I’ve done the architecture boat tour. I highly recommend it if you can work it in. Be sure to bring a coat. It will probably be a little chilly. I’ve never been able to go to the Sears Tower. It’s always cloudy when we visit. Give me a wave across states! Have a great time. I’m really jealous but I’ll be there later this summer.

10. On April 28, 2008 at 4:24 pm Joanna Young

Brad, thank you. Looking forward to seeing you soon :-)

-Deb, yep, I’ll give you a wave!

Debbie, advice re coats and jackets noted. I’m taking multiple layers to cover most eventualities.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone

11. On April 29, 2008 at 1:31 am Karen Swim responded with... #

Hi Joanna, one last thing you should do…take a deep breath and have an awesome time! Looking forward to giving you a hug!

Karen

12. On April 29, 2008 at 7:10 am Joanna Young

Karen, you always know how to say just the right thing! Thanks for the reminder to breathe :-)

13. On April 29, 2008 at 2:38 pm Wendi Kelly responded with... #

Hve a great time! You are coming to my town, wish we could have met up, but I am sure you are very busy. If I had known longer than a month before, I would have loved to go to this conference with it being in my own back yard!

I can’t wait to hear all about it!

14. On April 29, 2008 at 5:57 pm Janice Cartier responded with... #

Joanna- This looks GREAT!! Have fun in Chicago. My best to our mutual buddies. :)
    All best, Jan

15. On April 29, 2008 at 7:31 pm Steve Sherlock responded with... #

Joanna, can hardly wait for Friday.

The boat tour was good, the museums were good, would second the notion on the Sears Tower, would also add either the Lincoln Park Zoo or the Brookfield Zoo. Both were good visits.

Have a safe journey!

16. On April 29, 2008 at 9:03 pm Karen Putz / DeafMom responded with... #

Looking forward to meeting you on Friday! :)

17. On April 30, 2008 at 4:05 am Robyn responded with... #

Joanna, with all my heart I wish I could be there. Terry Starbucker certainly has some fun events planned and you’ll learn ever so much.

If you prepared posts ahead you’ll be more than fine. Seems like you’ve really prepared your bases.

Now just go and enjoy!

18. On April 30, 2008 at 2:49 pm Joanna Young

Wendi! Wish I’d known before. Send me a msg on twitter if you’re going to be in town and there’s a chance we could meet up

Jan, thank you and will do

Steve, thanks. I’m here safely and v. excited! So much to see and do, then so many great people to meet. Looking forward to seeing you :-)

Karen - hi! I’ll look out for you :-)

Robyn, thanks. I’m sorry you’re not here… but there’ll be another time. Chicago 2009?