Snippets

Foozle And Fribble In Word Nerd Meet Up

Foozle and Fribble Cartoon

Foozle and Fribble Cartoon

Today’s a red letter day for me. I’m heading out to Geneva, Illinois to meet up with Brad Shorr from Word Sell Inc.

Brad and I got to know each other through blogging conversations about words, a shared interest in and love for words, and over time some guest posts on each other’s sites and a group writing project that we ran together. One of the guest posts I wrote for Brad inspired this word nerd cartoon of foozle and fribble (two words I’d used), and the picture has come to represent Brad and me in my mind. So it seemed like a good choice to open up this post!

Geneva, Illinois has also stuck in my mind since Brad wrote about it in the home town meme. It sounded so different from my busy-city image and stereotype of American life, and I felt it would be interesting to go and explore a different kind of environment.

While we’re off having a blether and exploring downtown Geneva here are some of the words Brad and I have shared over the last 12 months:

Brad writing here:

Leap Before You Write That Letter Of Apology

9 Steps To Clear Business Writing

Guest posts I’ve written for Brad:

A Plain English Guide To Writing With Difficult Words

Driving Lessons: 10 Rules Of The Writing Road

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “Foozle And Fribble In Word Nerd Meet Up”

1. On April 30, 2008 at 1:45 pm cat responded with... #

Joanna, what a great cartoon. I’m always chuffed to see the talent in our communities.

I’ve been to Geneva, but not Geneva Illinois so I’ll be looking forward to your first time impressions of it. Late April / early May, seems a sweet time to be out there.

And double thanks for leaving a list of reading material while you are away (is there going to be a quiz when you get back? ;-)

2. On April 30, 2008 at 3:03 pm Joanna Young

Hi Cat, if you like exploring words Brad’s got lots - and quizzes too!

I’m looking forward to seeing a small town as opposed to big city, going on the train… it all adds to the experience

BTW was thinking about our conversation about accents, dialect, sing-song… so many different voices and languages here… makes for a fascinating soundtrack

Not to mention loud sirens (why so loud??) and honk of river boats… now that honking I could get used to…

3. On April 30, 2008 at 5:12 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Hi Joanna, what a nice post - thanks. You remind me I need to do some new F&F cartoons. Look forward to seeing you in a few hours! Weather’s perfect.

4. On May 1, 2008 at 2:23 am Joanna Young

Hi Brad, I thought I should do something special to mark such an auspicious occasion!

Thanks for a great afternoon. Look forward to seeing you working new found Scots vocab into your posts!

5. On May 1, 2008 at 4:28 am Karen Putz / DeafMom responded with... #

Ah, so what did you think of Geneva? I love that town! I especially like the chocolate at Graham’s- I sure hope you picked up a box!

Looking forward to meeting you on Friday.

6. On May 1, 2008 at 5:27 am Joanna Young

Karen, Geneva was a lovely contrast - green, calm, gentle, lots of unusual shops and buildings. We didn’t do any shopping I’m afraid - too busy blethering (chatting) about blogging! I enjoyed the trip though, train journey and all - helps to get a better feel for the place.

I’m looking forward to meeting you too - will keep my eyes out for you

7. On May 1, 2008 at 2:53 pm Karen Swim responded with... #

Hi Joanna,

I have never been to Geneva but it does look like a lovely town. I’m so glad you are enjoying the Midwest, and it is so nice to see our region through your eyes. You’ll have to post pictures so we can enjoy them too. Say Hi to Brad! :-)

Karen

8. On May 1, 2008 at 2:55 pm Joanna Young

Hi Karen, I’ll not be posting fresh stuff until I get back, but for those who’re interested here’s the link to my chicago photos

Includes a few from Geneva yesterday.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Confident Writing: Highlights of 2008 | Confident Writing - December 22, 2008

[...] April: Celebrated my blog birthday and met one of my best blogging buddies [...]