Group Writing Projects

Take A Stretch With A Group Writing Project

A group writing project is a great way to stretch your blog writing muscles.

Taking part in a project is also an easy and effective way to:

• raise your profile
  • meet other bloggers
  • get links, trackbacks and comments
  • generate ideas for new topics
  • experiment and have some fun

(I could go on but one of my own writing challenges this month is to keep my posts shorter.)

If you’re looking for a group writing project look no further than the latest offering from Robert Hruzek at Middle Zone Musings. This time there’s no excuses - I have to confess that some of us writerly types protested last time round at the challenge of learning from sport - because the topic is one that anyone can write about.

It’s “What I Learned From… People”

(Tip: if that seems too mind-bogglingly wide open, look for the connection with the focus of your blog or your overall purpose and intention in writing.)

Entries are due in by February 10th - you’ll find more information on the what and the how at the Middle Zone.

If you enjoy group writing projects - as a participant or a blogger who runs them - you’ll want to check out a new site from Jacob Share called Group Writing Projects.

The site isn’t yet out of its wraps and if you go over just now it’ll still be as a sneak preview… but the preview looks good, with the promise of:

• Timely announcements of new group writing projects for you to participate in from around the blogosphere
  • Useful tips and advice on running your own group writing projects
  • Glamorous profiles of blogs and bloggers running group writing projects
  • Much, much more…

If he offers me a glamorous profile I’m definitely going to submit details of the forthcoming Confident Writing project to the site. I’m still working on the details - and want to let the latest WILF project finish before I set us off with anything else - but I’ll keep you posted when it’s ready to roll.

Taking part in a group writing project is one way to take a leap with your writing - February’s theme at Confident Writing. Please subscribe to the feed if you’d like to take a leap too, or just want to follow the conversation as it unfolds.
Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

11 Responses to “Take A Stretch With A Group Writing Project”

1. On February 5, 2008 at 4:48 pm Robert Hruzek responded with... #

Oh, Joanna, you always say the nicest things! (Gush, gush!)

I always look forward to your WILF entries - you have so much to say, and all of it worth knowing. No matter what the topic - whether you have direct experience with it or not - your contributions always make my day.

Keep it up, my friend; keep it up!

2. On February 5, 2008 at 5:12 pm Joanna Young

Oh no! What have I done now! I was thinking of doing something simple and easy on myself this month… and now I’ve ramped up the expectations!

Only kidding of course Robert… like you I hold Troy’s two word entry in my mind as a shining example of what’s possible…

I’m always pleased to give WILF a plug - it’s a great opportunity for people to stretch their writing and meet some new blogging friends - and the folk who take part in WILF are a pretty amazing bunch :-)

3. On February 5, 2008 at 6:25 pm CatherineL responded with... #

Thanks Joanne - Problogger ran one of these ages ago, but I missed it. And I’d love to get involved in the project, so I’ll definitely be checking it out.

4. On February 5, 2008 at 6:27 pm CatherineL responded with... #

Sorry - Joanna!!! As soon as the comment showed up I realised what I’d done. I’m going to have to stick a label with Joanna on it on my keyboard.

Or could you not just make it easier and change your name to Joanne?

5. On February 5, 2008 at 6:28 pm Chris Brogan... responded with... #

Before 9/11, I wrote exclusively fiction. I beloved to a writing group that really pumped out great weekly projects by way of a writing prompt. There were about 200 total of us on the website, though maybe there were only 12 or so really active participants. I think this is a great way to stimulate writing.

6. On February 5, 2008 at 9:02 pm Joanna Young

Catherine, you are going to be my top commenter this month for sure if you double post each time!

Don’t worry about the name thing. But no I’m not going to change my name to Joanne… unless I become a millionaire best selling author :-)

And even then… no. It’s after my great-grandmother Johanna and Joanne just doesn’t capture it for me at all.

Back to group writing projects - you’re right, the Problogger one’s are great. I did a ’5 things’ project way back, and did a post on 5 ways to beat blogger’s block. Got loads of traffic at the time and it was a good boost to my confidence.

7. On February 5, 2008 at 9:04 pm Cynthia Mueller responded with... #

Hi Joanna,

I just found your blog yesterday and I’ve been enjoying your enthusiasm for helping writers. I was thinking about myself a year ago, and the leaps I’ve made since then. I went to a Writer’s Conference in April and actually pitched my idea to a few agents and publisher (and received extremely positive responses); I found an author I liked, went to his website, and accepted his challenge to post my rough draft story for comments/critique on a weekly basis (see: The Dickens Challenge Forum at: http://johndishon.com/test/index.php

I emailed the author and invited him for a cup of coffee and he said, YES.

Okay, it may look like just hops, skips and jumps, but it feels like LEAPS and BOUNDS to me!

I’ll keep checking back often!

Cindy Mueller

8. On February 5, 2008 at 9:05 pm Joanna Young

Hi Chris, thanks for stopping by :-)

I agree with you that group writing projects can be a really powerful way to get people writing - between the prompt, the deadline, the group support, active participation…

I’m sure Jacob’s site will be a valuable resource for those who are looking for ways to take a stretch or like you say to meet other people who share similar goals.

9. On February 5, 2008 at 11:13 pm Joanna Young

Cynthia, thanks for sharing all those great leaps!

What a great year of progress, and I’m sure your story will inspire others who read it. If we push the boat out a bit then good things *will* unfold, even if we can’t predict what they’re going to be when we set out.

Thanks for the info on the Dickens Challenge Forum too - I couldn’t find out any more about it from this link as it’s all members only - is there any more information available on a home page somewhere to explain the project in a bit more detail?

I look forward to seeing you back here soon

All best wishes

10. On February 6, 2008 at 8:04 am Joanna Young

Update for anyone interested in the Dickens Challenge that Cynthia mentions:

Here’s a link to the post that kicked it off

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Leap Before You Write That Letter Of Apology – Guest Post By Brad Shorr | Confident Writing - February 5, 2009

[...] tips are all well and good, but Joanna’s February focus on taking the leap got me [...]