Snippets

Recharging Your Writing Batteries

I’ve gone away for a few days to recharge my own writing batteries, so no podcast this week. Although I’ve got an internet connection it’s a bit too unreliable to start faffing around trying to record at MP3 quality… but as Wednesday is stuck in my mind as audio day, I thought I’d record a voice thread message for you.

I first discovered voice thread through my wonderful blogging friend Amy Palko, and included her recording of A Red Red Rose here on Burns Night. Since then I’ve experimented a couple of times with a piece on Joyful Jubilant Learning exploring the learning zones of Edinburgh, and on the Absorbing Writing blog talking about how and why we love to write in cafes.

I’m still finding my feet with voicethread but it’s very creative, intuitive and dead easy to use - I’d encourage you all to give it a go (and it’s much less footery than podcasting).

Anyway, without further ado here’s a voice thread from Arran, with some thoughts about places, writing, and where we go to recharge our writing batteries.

It finishes with a question: where do you go to recharge your writing batteries, to get some inspiration for your writing, your thinking, or creative processes?

You can listen to the thread by clicking the arrow button in the picture, or following this link to voice thread.

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach

Because our words count

Tags: ,

7 Responses to “Recharging Your Writing Batteries”

1. On February 27, 2008 at 1:04 am Deb @ Three Weddings responded with... #

That’s pretty cool. I haven’t listened to your podcasts yet. (I’m technologically challenged at times.) I’ll have to get my husband to show me how. I loved seeing the pictures and Peanut kept looking over when she heard your voice.

I don’t really have a special place to go to recharge. Just wherever I can find. Sometimes it’s slowly cruising the grocery store aisles while kid free. I do like nature, though. I am really looking forward to spring.

2. On February 27, 2008 at 3:49 am Karen Swim responded with... #

Wow Joanna! I like voice thread. I hope that the rest of your trip goes well and you come back renewed and recharged.

Happy travels!

Karen

3. On February 27, 2008 at 9:11 am Joanna Young

Hi Deb

The podcasts are quite easy to listen to (but harder to record), I’ll include an explanation some time soon. I guess you’re not the only one who isn’t sure how to listen to them :-)

I’m really tickled to think of Peanut listening to my voice! Makes the power of connection seem very human.

Everyday places like grocery stores are good places to let our minds drift too. I imagine it’s quite hard for you to get ‘space’ to yoursel with three young daughters to look after, but no doubt their antics will give you lots of ideas too :-)

Karen, I love voice thread too. One of these days I’ll spend time working it out ‘properly’ but I like the way you can get started so easily, only takes a photo and a microphone, a free account and you’re away.

I’m feeling refreshed already. I’d love to stay here for longer but this will do for now.

4. On February 27, 2008 at 9:12 am amypalko responded with... #

Fabulous voice thread, Joanna. I need to play with it some more - it’s such a fun tool, isn’t it?
    Loved your photos by the way, and the sentiment behind them is one that really calls to me. I often find that my writing is influenced by my environment, and I don’t think you can do better than to get out and explore your surroundings for those times when your creative mind needs a jumpstart.

5. On February 27, 2008 at 9:32 am Joanna Young

Amy, it is, and I’m very grateful to you for introducing it to me. It’s also how I got to know you better, and I’ll always associate it with Robert Burns and love songs!

One of the things I notice about being here is that I take pictures over and over. They’re not a patch on yours (though I do find myself thinking ‘how would Amy take a picture of this?’) but there’s something around the act of taking a picture, or the desire to capture what I see, hear and feel, that’s part of the creative process… letting the words tumble out when I get back.

I’m glad to hear you’re heading out and about yourself just now - I look forward to seeing more of your fabulous photos

6. On February 27, 2008 at 3:35 pm Steve Olson responded with... #

This looks like something fun to learn about. Thanks so much for posting it. I bookmarked voice thread and I can’t wait to learn more.

7. On February 27, 2008 at 5:27 pm Joanna Young

Steve, it really is a fun tool.

And if you’re doing any kind of collaborative work you can take it one stage further and generate a ‘thread’ of voices and comments. There are some great examples on their website.

Enjoy!