Pursuing A Dream: Guest Post by Deb @ 3 Weddings

When I was in fifth grade we had a period of the day for creative writing. The teacher would give us a subject and we had to make up a story. I loved this part of the day and can remember like it was yesterday sitting and writing my stories.

My teacher felt I had some talent in this area and enrolled me in what was then called the G.A.T.S. (Gifted and Talented Student) program. There are similar programs in school today under different names. I was a strong B student in most cases. I was not ashamed of this, but to be recognized for my writing was quite an honor.

Ever since fifth grade I have wanted to be a writer.

When I hear of a new author being discovered, a little part of me wishes it was me. However, I never did anything to pursue my writing career. I have often put limits on my life thinking, “I can’t do that.”

I am nearing 40 now and am tired of limits.

Perhaps it is because I have a child with Down syndrome and refuse to have limits placed on her. Perhaps it is because I have seen others go after their dreams and succeed.

Whatever the reason, I am chasing this dream in leaps and bounds.

In December I began my blog and opened myself up to the cyberspace world. In January, I made a New Year’s resolution to write a weekly creative writing post. This was a terrifying prospect to me. I told my husband how I had committed myself to this resolution and feared I would fail. I feared criticism and ridicule from my readers in the form of negative comments or loss of readership.

But I made a leap of faith and was bound to succeed. I have received positive feedback to not only my Thursday Fiction but to my other daily posts as well. My readership gradually grows and I continue to pursue my dream.

My ultimate goal is to be a published author. I may never achieve this dream, but no one is going to simply hand it to me. I have to leap into the writing world.

I am bound and determined to find some level of success with my writing.

Debbie Yost

Debbie Yost

Let me introduce you to Deb.

Deb is a work at home mom who has run a small in-home day care for the last five years. She and her husband have three daughters ages 11, 5 and 3. Deb’s youngest daughter has Down syndrome. Because of her daughter, Deb has become an advocate for people with Down syndrome to ensure they have the same opportunities to live a full and rewarding life as others. Deb writes from home whenever she finds time between bottles, diapers, naps and other parental duties.

You can follow Deb’s blog, and watch her progress as she leaps into the writing world, at Three Weddings.

Deb, I just wanted to say thanks for having the confidence to take the plunge and guest post here, and for sharing a story about the writing journey that I’m sure will resonate with many people.

10 Comments

1. Brad Shorr · · Reply

Deb, you sure have the right attitude! I wish you success in your writing.

2. CatherineL · · Reply

Great post Deb and good for you. Nearly 40 is not too old - you’re as young as me.

3. Deb, can I echo Brad and Catherine’s comments. Your spirit and attitude will stand you in good stead I know.

And nearly 40 is indeed young, you’ve only another few years and you’ll be as young as me :-)

4. Lis Garrett · · Reply

Deb is one of my favorite bloggers! I wish her great success. :-)

5. Deb @ Three Weddings · · Reply

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. It certainly keeps me going. And I agree, I40 is young. Turning 30 was more a shock for me than I would have expected.

6. That was such a lovely post, Deb! It reminded me of when I was at primary school being set creative writing assignments - something I haven’t thought about for years! Thank you for triggering this lovely memory :-)
    Oh, and I’ve just subscribed to your blog. It looks great and I really look forward to exploring it. Also, I just love the photo of your daughter holding the flower. So precious.

7. Karen Swim · · Reply

Deb, thank you for dropping in and inspiring us! You are destined for greatness, keep writing!

Karen

8. @ Deb, it’s what I love best about blogging too. Things that were hard become so much easier when there are people round about you egging you on. And the more you link out - like this - the more people will get to know you, and support you :-)

@ Amy and Karen, thanks for your supportive comments :-) Writing a guest post is a bit scary, and it makes me feel a lot better as host and publisher to know there are people out there who’ll take the time to read, comment and pass on some constructive feedback.

9. Hi Lis, sorry I skipped over you there!

Just wanted to say thanks for helping Deb and I make the connection - it was through you that our blogs, words, worlds connected :-)

10. Miracle studios -- web design company · · Reply

Hmm so you were gifted writer