Snippets

Quick update on writing with impact

Phew, I’ve got a notebook stack full of ideas for posts on writing with impact, including lots of ways to build on ideas, comments and suggestions here - so keep them coming…

So far we’ve covered making an impact with your writing in 2008, what we can learn about writing from web design, and 5 ways to fight the writing flab.  Somehow it feels like more than that, but maybe that’s because there are other posts half written in my head :-)

I’m also going to pick up some more learning points about the web redesign, this time on the writing side of things - more on that shortly.

I’ve decided to make a brief diversion from the ingredients of confident writing next month - in honour of the leap year and the extra day in February I’m going to make the focus taking a LEAP with our writing.  Which should be fun…

While I’ve got your attention a quick question about the redesign - how are you finding the typeface?  Is it dark enough for you to read okay?  Please let me know if there are any issues with it.   Thanks.

I write to a monthly theme - this month it’s writing to make a powerful impact.  Next month we’ll be looking at taking a leap with your writing.  Subscribe to the feed to see where this takes us…

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach

Because our words count

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “Quick update on writing with impact”

1. On January 14, 2008 at 3:00 pm --Deb responded with... #

I admit that I’d like the font to be a *little* darker . . . my eyes are scanning the gray and thinking “blurry,” even though it’s not and it’s got enough contrast to be readable. But that’s just me!

2. On January 14, 2008 at 3:31 pm Joanna Young

Deb, it’s not just you, I have the same feeling, but wanted to see how others were finding it. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

3. On January 14, 2008 at 3:48 pm Jim Murdoch responded with... #

Yeah, I have to concur. I’d prefer it darker.

4. On January 14, 2008 at 4:05 pm Joanna Young

Jim - thanks

5. On January 14, 2008 at 8:06 pm Melissa Donovan responded with... #

Hi Joanna, I agree with the others that the font could be darker. I like all the white space because it gives the site an open, airy feel. Also, I’m looking forward to the theme you have planned for next month!

6. On January 14, 2008 at 8:49 pm Joanna Young

Melissa, thanks for the feedback, I think I’ll need to experiment with a darker font. I’m loving the white space too and it’s definitely encouraging me to stretch (and leap!) with my writing.

Hope to see back soon

7. On January 15, 2008 at 3:34 am Sylvia C. responded with... #

Love the new set-up.
    It’s very crisp.

To be 100% honest, I do kinda miss that green, though! :)
    best,

Sylvia C.

8. On January 15, 2008 at 4:09 am pelf responded with... #

The text colour and font size are perfect (being black) but the link colour (dark blue) isn’t very distinct. I have no problem reading from Google Reader because all links are blue in colour and are underlined :D

Perhaps you would want to change that to a lighter shade of blue (or some other colour) so that it is easier to detect? Or you could give them underlines (or such) to indicate the links. Just my suggestion though :D

9. On January 15, 2008 at 10:00 am Joanna Young

@ Sylvia, it’s so nice to hear from you again :-) I miss the green a bit too - but feel that lifting off the banner has lifted something off my writing too… I’m guessing the green has just been absorbed into my words somehow :-)

@ Pelf, interesting you say it’s black, I’d have it as grey, maybe it works a bit differently on different machines and systems (showing my ignorance here). I’ll factor in the point about the link colour as and when I make a change to the rest of the typeface.

Thanks for your time and feedback both of you