Snippets

Curiosity: where will it take us?

Photo by EmilioDelPrado

I’m curious: what does curiosity mean to you?

To me it means a state of wonder and excitement. An openness to new ideas. Never-ending interest in and respect for other people, recognising their individuality and humanity. A desire to learn the amazing story that is every human life. It’s the wonder of exploring new places - and the ability to see the magic in the tired old streets we call home. It’s curiosity about words and language, and how we can use them, play with them, create magic with nothing more than black and white marks on a page.

And how does this relate to writing? Well a curious frame of mind brings our writing to life: makes it specific, intriguing, absorbing, human. And the more we indulge our curiosity with our words: well the more curious we become and the more we learn to see each day as a miracle.

It’s why I’m looking forward to a month of writing about curiosity. For one, it seems apt for the wonder-filled time of year. And for another - I have absolutely no idea where it will take us.

Which seems a perfect place to start - and to ask: what does curiosity mean to you?

I follow a monthly theme at Confident Writing - it helps to give my writing a sense of purpose. December’s theme will be writing with curiosity. If you’re curious about where it takes us - why not subscribe to the Confident Writing feed?

Thanks to Skellie for the tip on adding a caption to a Flickr photo - I have waited a long time to figure out how to do this!

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “Curiosity: where will it take us?”

1. On December 1, 2007 at 7:51 pm Jim Murdoch responded with... #

Curiosity is the basis of all writing. It’s why I started writing this reply. I was curious what I was going to say. And, no, I didn’t know what I was going to say. I had a clue but the more I write the clearer my thoughts and opinions become. Writing is a process of working things out. It’s a way of distancing ourselves from our thoughts so we can see them better; not everything is clearer under a microscope. Now, that was something I didn’t expect to write.

2. On December 2, 2007 at 4:38 am Rosa Say responded with... #

Fabulous theme, and I love this picture you found Joanna; I feel like I am looking through that wall’s opening right along with these children, peering into the goodness you have waiting on the other side of December! Ho’ohana!

3. On December 2, 2007 at 11:08 am Joanna Young

Jim, thank you for sharing your thoughts here.

I have a similar reaction to my own writing

“the more I write the clearer my thoughts and opinions become”

It’s probably the main reason that I blog - it’s a near-daily opportunity to learn more about myself.

But I wonder how many writers would agree that curiosity is the basis of all writing? I’ll be interested to explore this during the next few weeks…

4. On December 2, 2007 at 11:11 am Joanna Young

Rosa, I thought you might like this theme - a joyful combination of writing and learning…

And funnily enough the picture made me think of you - you so often inspire us with the photos you select, I’m sure you are subconsciously influencing my selection processes!

5. On July 25, 2010 at 6:48 am shirley responded with... #

Could I use your photo for a classroom poster?

6. On July 26, 2010 at 8:53 am Joanna

Hi Shirley, just to confirm I’ve emailed to explain how you can use the photo, which isn’t mine, but should be okay for you to use.