Boost your writing motivation in five minutes

Why does curiosity feature in my 12 ingredients of confident writing?  One of the main reasons is that it’s great for keeping us motivated and enthusiastic about writing.  And when I’m coaching people to write with more confidence we often need to look as much (if not more) at attitude and motivation as at some of the more technical writing skills.  It’s also good for keeping my own motivation levels up!

This week’s podcast looks at 5 ways that curiosity can kick-start our motivation - not so much for beating writer’s block, more for those times when we’re too jaded to write.

I’m sure there are more but in just five minute (and 10 seconds to be precise) I covered:

Curiosity about words: enjoying words and language, being playful and flirtatious with words

Curiosity about your own writing: spending time writing just for you, and learning from what you write

Curiosity about your readers: how well do you know your readers?  Getting to know them better, fleshing them out as real people makes the writing process more engaging and enjoyable

Curious perspective: changing your point of view and looking at things in a new light can reawaken your own interest in what you’re writing about

Curiously specific: getting below the surface, being specific about what you see, hear and feel will make your writing more vivid.  It can also reawaken your senses, and make you more interested in the world round about you - which does tend to be good for the motivation…

Do you use any of these techniques to get you past that ‘same old, same old’ feeling?  Or do you have other tips and techniques you’d be willing to share?

Comments

1. EelKat says:

great post

great blog! I love writing blogs, they are my faves.(I found you from BlogCatalog, btw)

I’m bookmarking this one and adding it to my blogroll

2. Joanna Young

Hi EelKat, I’m glad that you found me too - it’s always good to meet new readers. BlogCatalog does seem to be a good place to discover new sites doesn’t it? Oh and thanks for the review that you wrote there too - much appreciated :-)

3. --Deb says:

I’m just chuckling because, really, #1 sounds a lot like my blog entry today!

4. Joanna Young

Deb, indeed :-)

Although as you say the trick is to enjoy words without getting drunk on them…

Here’s the link for any other word lovers who might have missed Deb’s post on the building blocks of great writing

5. April Groves says:

The words are my favorite. Semantics and roots are a wealth of inspiration. Great prompts for that “what to write now”

BTW - Thank you so very much for my ecard :)

6. Joanna Young

Hi April, I’d forgotten your creative exploration of the meaning of words. You’re right, this is often a good place to start - reminding ourselves of where a word comes from, its roots and connections. It’s often enough to open things up to a new point of view.

Glad you liked the card :-)

7. College Student says:

I’m like 19 now, 20 in March.
    I been writing off and on since fourth grade and never have found the self-discipline to become more consistent. It’s frustrating.
    I’m going to try these.
    Any other tips?

Hi, tips dotted throughout the site - I hope you find what you’re looking for