Writing Tips

10 writing remedies for the post-Christmas blues

Alka Seltzer by Spencer E Holtoway on Flickr

Alka Seltzer by Spencer E Holtoway on Flickr

Feeling the after-effects of over-indulgence? Before you reach for the medicine cabinet here are 10 writing remedies to see you through the post-Christmas blues:

1. DO keep writing over the holidays Steal a little bit of space to write your journal or update your blog. Writing helps to clear to the head. You’ll feel better for it. The people around about you might thank you for it too.

2. DON’T let words make things worse Over-generalisations, dramatic language, critical thoughts can magnify a problem. Test and challenge the words you find yourself using. Use your word power to find a more detailed and specific way of describing it. Then watch the problem start to break down and dissolve.

3. DO write your way through it Create some private writing space where you can write the specifics of the things that are getting you down. It’ll help you digest the experience. Try some backwards prompts to get the words to flow: 10 minutes on “I don’t want to write about…”

4. DO write what you’re grateful for Find the specific words and write them down. It’ll make you feel better. If this seems like a challenge right now, look for the one thing in the last 24 hours that you’re most grateful for.

5. DON’T discount the power of your own words The excesses of consumerism can leave us feeling that everything is pointless. Writing isn’t. Ask yourself who your writing is affecting: your clients, customers, friends, family, peers, colleagues, readers. Yourself. Focus on ways you can make that impact a positive one.

6. DO focus on what you can change There’s always a chance to learn, to stretch, to grow. If nothing else you can follow Confident Writing, improve your writing style and write with greater confidence

7. DO make 2008 to start writing a blog It’s a great way to get feedback on your writing, to experiment with new writing styles, to learn what works, to make connections with other bloggers. This time last year I never dreamed I’d be running an Italian writing workshop with a freelance writer who lives in Sardinia, who I haven’t met (yet), but I’ve come to know, well, through the power of blogging.

8. DON’T set yourself writing resolutions you’re not going to keep. You’ll know inside if you’re deceiving yourself. Focus on what you can and will do: it’s more motivating.

9. DO think about your inner resources Spend a bit of time thinking about the inner resources you’ll draw on to achieve your writing goals. This process will quickly make you start to feel more resourceful.

10. DO check out our new Absorbing Writing workshop: 4 days, 5 nights in sun-drenched Sardinia learning how to write with rapport, with authenticity, capturing the essence of a place. Hmm. Four days of absorbing writing. It might be just the tonic you’re looking for.

Absorbing Writing is a four day workshop taking place in Sardinia, Italy on October 2 - 7 2008.

It’s being run jointly by me Joanna Young and Emma Bird from HowToItaly. You can find out more on the Absorbing Writing blog, including how to enrol.

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Photo credit: Spencer E Holtaway

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to “10 writing remedies for the post-Christmas blues”

1. On December 27, 2007 at 1:29 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Wow, the Sardinia workshop sounds fantastic! Never been there, but it looks beautiful. I hope my budget allows for it.

2. On December 27, 2007 at 4:31 pm Rosa Say responded with... #

I’m with Brad! Four days in Sardinia with you and Emma is a fabulous goal to reach for in 2008. I’ve got to figure out how to get it in my business plan… Italy and two writing gurus has got to be great for Managing with Aloha, don’t you think?

3. On December 27, 2007 at 7:47 pm Joanna Young

@ Brad I’ve never been (yet) either, but it does look fantastic. I hope you can make it!

@ Rosa, I do indeed. You know we’re definitely going to meet up and swap notes somewhere whether it’s Skye, Sardinia, Hawaii or who knows where :-)

4. On December 27, 2007 at 11:56 pm Writing the Cyber Highway responded with... #

These are great tips, Joanna! Hope you had a great Christmas :-)

Smiles,
    Michele

5. On December 28, 2007 at 9:20 am Joanna Young

Hi Michele, it’s good to hear from you as always. My Christmas was something of a mixed blessing, so I practicing these writing tips on myself too…

6. On December 30, 2007 at 4:28 pm Ariane Benefit, Neat & Simple Living responded with... #

Awesome post as always Joanna!

I can so relate to the cringing part of looking back at posts. But you are so right. There is much to be learned and improvement to be made by taking the time to look back now and then.

Happy New Year!

7. On December 30, 2007 at 5:36 pm Joanna Young

Hi Ariane, I love this time of year as a chance to look back, get rid of things we don’t want or need any more and look forward with anticipation, taking the good bits - the stuff we’ve learned and are proud of - with us.

You just need to apply the same principles to writing that you already do to clutter! :-)

Have a wonderful New Year when it comes

8. On April 2, 2008 at 2:40 pm Spencer E Holtaway responded with... #

Hiya,

Thank you for using my photo on your blog!

I would like to request that the photograph links through to its flickr page when clicked on, rather than an enlarged view on typepad, if possible.

Spencer

9. On April 2, 2008 at 4:04 pm Joanna Young

Spencer, hi and thanks for sharing such a great photo!

The typepad default pop up window is what’s thrown me I think - so I’ve redone the picture with the link to your photo this time round.

Thanks for stopping by