Group Writing Projects

Connecting Words and Worlds: Black Friday update

How has writing, blogging and business enriched your life?  I’d love to hear your stories and experiences. Take a moment to look back and think of the richness of your writing life.

That’s the question and challenge posed by Yvonne Russell to open the Writers’ Cafe at Grow Your Writing Business this weekend.  Take the time to drop into the cafe and you’ll find a wonderful series of responses, highlighting the blessings that blogging and online writing have brought us:

friendship, conversation, camaraderie, learning, closing the gaps between us, connecting and interacting with others, ‘meeting’ people around the globe.

Learning about the lives, the words, the worlds of people in other countries is one of the most amazing spin-offs from blogging.  I’ve found myself oddly connected to the celebration of Thanksgiving this year.  Although it means nothing in the UK I couldn’t help but be caught up in the mood of thanksgiving when so many of my blogging friends were gearing up for the holiday, sharing their experiences online, and writing such wonderful pieces of reflection and thanks.

And of course the blogosphere’s been a little more quiet than usual with the impact of the holidays.  Now I’ve learned a bit more about the Thanksgiving celebrations I’m curious to find out more about the Black Friday that follows.  Was it a happy shopping day for you?  Or the opportunity to spend another quiet day with your friends and family?  Does its blackness talk to you of the hassle of crowded stores, seeing your business going into the black, or regret at all the wonderful food you consumed the day before?  I’d love to know…

I spent a good part of yesterday dipping into the entries that have been submitted to the Connecting Words group writing project that Brad Shorr and I have been running.   With many thanks to Deb who highlighted the project at  Booking Through Thursday we’ve got over 20 entries already - with lots of amazing words, some fascinating comment-box conversations and new connections with bloggers all over the world.  The project is running until midnight (your time) this Friday (30th) so you’ve still plenty of time to get your entries in.  (Click here to find out how to take part.)

And what happens after Black Friday?  Are you gearing back up for the working week ahead?  Enjoying another day with your family?    Admiring your shopping purchases?  Wondering why you spent/bought/drank/ate so much?  Or just glad to get back to the business of blogging?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Connecting Words and Worlds: Black Friday update”

1. On November 25, 2007 at 3:18 am Lisa responded with... #

In past years, we (husband, kids, and I) would go to the mall to do a little shopping early on Black Friday, then see a movie and have lunch. This year was different because my husband had to work. The girls and I still saw a movie (“Enchanted”) and had lunch with friends. However, we avoided the crowds at the mall.

2. On November 25, 2007 at 10:34 am Joanna Young

Hi Lisa, taking in a movie sounds like a nice family tradition. Especially if you get to see one that’s called “enchanted” - what a wonderful word!

3. On November 27, 2007 at 12:22 am Jeanne Dininni responded with... #

Never went in much for “Black Friday.” I’d much rather shop the day after Christmas-when everything is really discounted! Only trouble is, I usually don’t have any money left! LOL!

Jeanne

4. On November 27, 2007 at 9:18 am Joanna Young

Hi Jeanne, Boxing Day (26th Dec) is a big shopping day over here too, although I always think it’s dispiriting to find discounted versions of all the stuff you’ve just bought for people. I think a lot of people are using it now to start selling or trading the gifts they’ve received - which really does make you start to wonder what the point of the whole exercise is…

5. On November 28, 2007 at 2:36 am Yvonne Russell responded with... #

Hi Joanna
    Thanks for mentioning the Weekend Writers Cafe. As an Australian, where we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, I’ve only just discovered the term Black Friday too. Cyber Monday which follows Black Friday is a new term to me too.

6. On November 28, 2007 at 9:17 am Joanna Young

Hi Yvonne, I do try to give the cafe a plug when I can, it’s such a refreshing place to hang out!

It’s quite an education learning about the different holidays and traditions in other parts of the world, isn’t it? And kind of odd how much we’re affected by the holidays of our readers, even though we’re not marking them ourselves.

Cyber Monday sounds like the title of a novel doesn’t it… not just a day buying goods on-line :-)

See you at the weekend