Snippets

What confident readers are writing

I’ve been thinking about ways to show my gratitude to readers here – and to make sure I’m engaging with you properly too. I do try and pull out and highlight the amazing things you write in the comment box – because they’re a big part of the learning that goes on, the way that the narrative I’m developing around a theme gets shaped, moulded, made richer, more textured.

But maybe there are other ways I could say thanks too – for all the million and one ways that you help me to write. Your comments are amazing – and we turned 600 comments this week with Emma’s contribution (appropriately, as her comment was first too. I’m hoping she’ll also hit 1,000.)

But it’s not just the comments - it’s subscribing to my feed, popping up on mybloglog, digging and stumbling my stuff, creating links and trackbacks, volunteering to guest post, giving constructive feedback to the people who’re brave enough to post here, highlighting my site on your blogroll, writing ridiculously nice things about me, letting me know when I’ve got a broken link – all of it keeps me motivated, smiling, and itching to write more.

Anyway one thing I thought I could do by way of a thank you was highlight some of the things that readers of Confident Writing are up to. There was too much for one post so apologies if your goodies aren’t here – maybe next time, as I’m hoping to make this an occasional (if not regular) feature.

A round up of what confident readers are writing

I’ve no idea how Karen Wallace stays calm – because not only has she launched The Calm Space – a virtual magazine that’s like a day spa for the senses – she’s just about to publish ‘Save Our Sanity’ the Christmas calm manual (sorry for mentioning Xmas, but she started it)

Emma Bird has been entertaining us with more of her 5 things she’s learned since living in Italy – this time on attitudes to… fat. Which makes me think I’m going to have to go on a serious diet before that trip next year Emma!

Sylvia (aka the creativity princess) has produced some fabulous journals that you can buy from her Etsy shop

Rick Mahn continues to amaze me with his happiness aphorisms. Lots of enjoy using quotes to spice up our blogs – but there’s not many of us that sit down and write them!

Brad Shorr is learning (and teaching) about privacy builders

Robert Hruzek has been storytelling at Liz’s place

Talking of Liz, she’s got a party coming up which means that

Cat is also about to celebrate a two year blogging birthday

Parties are a great way to engage with your readers… it’s a good while yet until I reach my first birthday, so if you’ve got other ideas in the meantime about ways I can be more engaging… just let me know!

Want to be engaging too? Don’t just subscribe to my feed, call by and leave us a comment!

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “What confident readers are writing”

1. On October 21, 2007 at 1:13 pm Brad Shorr responded with... #

Hi Joanna, thanks for the mentions, and thanks for making me aware of Emma’s blog. I miss Italy, but Emma makes me feel like I’m right there!

2. On October 21, 2007 at 2:47 pm Joanna Young

Hi Brad

Emma’s blog is a jewel in the blogging world. I feel I am breathing in a little bit of Italy each time I go there.

I didn’t know you had an Italian connection - a story for another day maybe?

3. On October 22, 2007 at 8:22 am cat responded with... #

Thank you for the mention Joanna. I’m still not sure what I’m going to write for DWB’s second birthday. Not after my last one! Who would have expected a coup? I know I didn’t.

4. On October 22, 2007 at 9:31 am Joanna Young

Cat, well I hope I’m not tempting fate by mentioning your birthday!

5. On October 22, 2007 at 9:37 am Karen Wallace responded with... #

Thanks Joanna - I think it’s the calm that gets me through my busy, busy days!

I had to laugh at your ‘sorry to mention Christmas, but she started it’ reaction.

The tinsel and wrapping paper are in the shops (well, here in Australia anyway!) and the lead up to Christmas has well and truly started. And it scares a lot of people, especially women, senseless. Ask me how I know :) So that’s what Chris and I are aiming to help - by injection a little calm and order into the lead up to Christmas. (We’ve found that burying your head under the doona doesn’t work… it still comes around anyway).

6. On October 22, 2007 at 10:02 am Joanna Young

Karen - you’re quite right and I’m sure a lot of people will benefit from your book.

I’m just in the lucky position of no longer having to take an active role in Xmas preparations and friends and family members who’ve got to that stage of saying ‘I just don’t want anything’ (this is one of the good parts of growing older!)

PS Doona is new on me - I’m guessing it means duvet? It’s not dissimilar to “downie” which some people use in Scotland

7. On October 23, 2007 at 3:18 am --Deb responded with... #

I’ve only just found your blog, but I can already tell that I’m going to love it.

8. On October 23, 2007 at 6:34 am Joanna Young

Hi Deb - I’m glad you found us. Your site looks interesting too - though you’re a braver woman than me blogging about punctuation - I’d be terrified of making a mistake!