The courage to hear yourself sing: e-book on authentic writing

by Joanna on October 8, 2007

Eagle-eyed readers have picked up on my recent hints that I was thinking of turning the September discussion on authentic writing into an e-book. Well there’s nothing like making your intention public to make sure you deliver on it, so without further ado: here it is.

It’s called The Courage to Hear Yourself Sing: 5 takes on authentic writing.

It’s designed as a free download so please click on by, help yourself to the e-book and pass it on to other people who you think might enjoy it.

You’ll recognise a lot of the words and ideas from the discussion that ran here during September and I must say thanks once again to everyone who contributed to that conversation.

This is my first attempt at writing in this medium so I’d be grateful - as ever - for any comments and feedback. If it’s a format that works - who knows? You might just see me doing some more in the future :-)

The Courage to Hear Yourself Sing is a free e-book, capturing the key points from the month long discussion on writing with authenticity at Confident Writing.

This month we’re looking at writing with clarity - why not subscribe to the feed for free updates.

Joanna Young, The Confident Writing Coach
Because our words count

The Courage to Hear Yourself Sing is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 UK: Scotland License.

{ 1 trackback }

8 From The Archives To Help You Free Your Words | Confident Writing
08.13.08 at 8:31 am

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Karen Wallace 10.09.07 at 12:28 am

Bravo Joanna! A standing ovation is happening here…

Now I have read that, I’m motivated more than ever to write from my heart. Thank you and congratulations on getting it done.

Robert Hruzek 10.09.07 at 1:17 am

Gosh and shucks, Joanna, I’m blushing here!

Your points are very clearly stated, and the presentation is well laid-out too. Very nice! (Although that MZM guy is pretty strange… ;-)

Lillie Ammann 10.09.07 at 2:15 am

Well done, Joanna! Congratulations on venturing into a new medium and doing it well.

Brad Shorr 10.09.07 at 3:22 am

Facebook? Podcasting? Now an e-book? What next? Your e-book is wonderful, and I really like the title.

Joanna Young 10.09.07 at 10:36 am

Thanks all for the feedback - much appreciated :-)

@ Karen - well you know it was some of your writing during September that encouraged and motivated me to develop this theme. We definitely spin off each other.

Congrats by the way on launching the Calm Space - I’ve been over to look but not yet to read properly or comment - will be back!

@ Robert, thanks. I liked the format - it forced me to be clear about things (might come back to this with my clarity hat on). Had to mention your contribution - it was the “find out who you are and write that way” piece that kick-started a lot of things, and not just for me

@ Lillie, thank you. As I said, I found it an enjoyable medium to work with. Definitely going to try it again for other things

@ Brad, who knows? After many years moiling in an office I’m enjoying the freedom to experiment. It coincides with discovery of the blogosphere which provides learning opportunities every day, free resources, and wonderful people who you know will support and encourage you in new ventures. Who could ask for more?

Emma Bird 10.10.07 at 6:51 pm

Thanks for sending me it. It’s a fabulous read. Congrats. And you know what? You can so see that you are writing with your voice there.

I can’t wait to read the next ebook. Will that one be on clarity?

Emma

Joanna Young 10.11.07 at 10:21 am

Thank you for the feedback Emma. I did enjoy writing it and maybe that’s why you say you can hear my voice. Two things helped - the format (which forced me to clear!) and the knowledge that I was weaving together words and ideas that we’d all shared together here.

As for what’s next - one on clarity… maybe. But it will depend on the muse!

Joyful Jubilant Learning 10.16.07 at 8:44 pm

Generous Coaching for us in eBooks, and Learning By Example

Two of our JJL authors are offering new eBooks on their own sites, absolutely free! Karen Wallace has launched a new online magazine called The Calm Space, “a virtual magazine that’s like a day-spa for your senses!” and she writes…

tim 10.17.07 at 5:59 pm

Joanna:

I really like it. I’ve been talking to my student leaders recently about learning to sing in your own voice. You’ve added to the conversation by encouraging them to learn to hear themselves sing. I’m definitely passing this on to them.

Love the layout. Easy to read and follow and your pics really ADD to the look and feel. Great job!

Joanna Young 10.17.07 at 7:38 pm

Tim - thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

I hope your student leaders find it of value too :-)