Blog Writing, Creating With Confidence

Singing your song: the round up of authentic writing

There’s been an unexpected musical focus to the writing here this month, what with contributions and inspiration from Elvis, Dolly Parton, Bruce Springsteen, Irish country music singers, rappers, and rock stars.

We’ve talked about what happens when you can’t find your voice and finding the courage to hear yourself sing.

Sound, rhythm, resonance have emerged as themes in our exploration of what it means to write with authenticity.

Marching to the beat of your own drum.

Learning how to toot, sweetly.

Hearing the music when we’re writing our selves – even when we’re writing hollow.

The emphasis on finding your own voice has prompted me to experiment with my first two podcasts on word power at work, and the age of the authentic conversation – and I still can’t work out if the voice is more authentic than the written word…

And you’ve stuck with me as I’ve whistled through book reviews, blogging milestones, diversions into word puzzles, plum chutney and social network sites, and an exploration of the language of collaboration.

Your words have added to the song that we’ve been singing here this month, and I’m grateful to everyone who’s piped up and chipped in. Because you taught me…

Your own personal journey provides you with as much expert knowledge as you need, so yes the only thing you need to keep you going is the confidence to just write with no attachment to what people will think. (Rob)

Authenticity doesn’t have to mean “expert” — you can be perfectly up-front with the fact that you don’t know much about what you’re talking about — but hey, that’s being authentic right there. (Adam Kayce)

Incidentally, the word ‘simple’ in Italian translates into ‘semplice’. When you call someone a ‘simple person’ it’s actually very positive. It’s used for someone who is authentic and enjoys the simple things in life: friends, family, food, wine. (Emma Bird)

We who write are often encouraged to be true to our own voice, but our voices need cultivating, pruning, and shaping just like a growing tree (Rosa Say)

It’s actually a process of discovery. Yep, it’s a (if you’ll pardon the tired old metaphor) journey, and not a destination. I found out who I was as a writer just as Joanna suggests: through my writing. So the answer is: just go ahead and express yourself! You’ll know it when it starts “clicking”, because that’s when you’ll notice the change in feedback and comments. (Robert Hruzek)

I enjoy blogging as frequently as I do and in keeping with your topic of authenticity, if that’s what you feel like doing…then so you should. (Lea)

Here’s to tingling currents of thought… unbounded by time or place… that connect our souls together in wondrous ways. (Karen Wallace)

Finding our own individual voice is, after all, a huge part of what confident writing is all about-whatever we choose to call it!(Jeanne Dininni)

I guess, amongst everything, finding your voice comes down to knowing who you are. Being authentic. (Cat)

Thank you. I think that together we sang a pretty amazing song.

This is the last post in the series on writing with authenticity. Many thanks to the contributing authors Emma Bird, Robert Hruzek, Jon Swanson, and all the commenters who’ve added their voices during September:

Brad Shorr, Rosa Say, Robyn McMaster, Cat, Liz Strauss, Rick Mahn, Karen Wallace, Rob, Adam Kayce, Ria Kennedy, Chris Brogan, Ronna Porter, Terinea Weblog, Yvonne Russell, Laura, Jeanne Dininni, Ann Michael, Carol, April Groves, Ewan McIntosh, Joann Loos, Sognatrice, Paul Merrill, Myrthe, Sylvia C, Lillie Ammann, Joe, Lea, Troy Worman, Steve Sherlock, Greg Balanko-Dickson

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Singing your song: the round up of authentic writing”

1. On October 1, 2007 at 12:34 am Robyn responded with... #

Joanna, in real life I sing off key… my father was tone deaf.

Dr. Ellen Weber told me that I just hear a different pitch, that all is fine when I sing softly and become part of the choir.

Wow, it’s great to be part of this production.

Thanks so much to all of you!

2. On October 1, 2007 at 8:56 am Joanna Young

It’s fun singing together isn’t it? Production is a good word for it - hmm… might use that analogy another day :-)

Thanks once again for all your contributions (and inspiration via your own blog)

3. On October 1, 2007 at 6:13 pm Robert Hruzek responded with... #

Joanna, what a great way to round off an incredibly rich month! You’ve done a great job of pulling together many strands and helping us all collectively weave a beautiful tapestry of, well, authentic, confident writing! Kudos!

Can’t wait to see how October turns out! :-)

4. On October 1, 2007 at 10:54 pm Joanna Young

Cheers Robert, and for all your help along the way.

Much appreciated - all of it, box of kleenex and all.

5. On October 2, 2007 at 9:13 pm Laura responded with... #

What a great way to recognize all your commentators!

6. On October 2, 2007 at 9:26 pm Joanna Young

Hi Laura, good to hear from you. It was nice looking back at a month’s comments - and there’s so much richness in the things you all say, I couldn’t help but say thanks :-)

7. On October 3, 2007 at 5:04 am Yvonne Russell responded with... #

Joanna - Thanks for the tip of the hat to all your commenters… a lovely idea. This blog has all the makings of a wonderful book with your themed series… great stuff!

Put me down for the first copy… leather bound of course. ;)

8. On October 3, 2007 at 9:54 am Joanna Young

Thank you Yvonne - it was meant most genuinely, because I couldn’t have learned what I know now without the contributions, ideas, motivation from everyone who joined in - including those who read, because that is the fundamental thing that keeps me writing.

I’m trying to capture what I’ve learned at the end of the month through this review, and am working on an e-book (which is proving a really fun way of crystallising words and thoughts). But you’re right - a book at the end of the year long series… well that’s a most intriguing idea.

If I do it - well take it as read that your signed copy’s in the post :-)

9. On October 3, 2007 at 10:28 am Emma Bird responded with... #

Hi Joanna

Sorry, I’ve been a bit absent over the last week as I’ve been particularly busy.

Congrats - if a little belatedly - on the undoubted success of your first themed month. I’ve also loved the round-up which clarified your aims and has led neatly into the next theme.

Keep it up.
    Emma

10. On October 3, 2007 at 1:40 pm Joanna Young

Emma, it’s never too late to call by and leave a comment.

(Although likewise, sorry I’ve not been over to join you at HowToItaly in the last little while)

I enjoyed doing the round up and it helped me to get clear on what I’d learned - and where to go next. Thanks once again for your own contributions to the learning fest both as a commenter and guest author.