Bling writing

I am – like most authors I guess - intrigued by the search terms people use to get to my site, curious as to what they might have been looking for – and whether I was able to provide some kind of an answer to their search.

Some of the searches I feel quite good about. Finding out who you are and doing it on purpose – well I’ve had a fair go at trying to get to the bottom of that one. Writing with rapport – well that’s another where I think I can point people to some useful pointers, suggestions and resources.

But “bling writing”?

Bling writing is one that’s really had me stumped. I know where it came from – a piece on my rockin’ girl blogger award, a nice piece of bling for my blog (linked to “writing” in the title). And I think – but I don’t know – what people were looking for: suggestions on how to customise a graphics package to change the words or the look of a word written as bling.

But maybe not. We talk about bling for our blogs, so maybe people are looking for ways to add bling to their writing too?

My first thought was to say – no way. No way am I telling anyone how to add bling to their writing. The whole point, the essence of what I’m about it is to keep our writing simple and clear. To let the words speak for themselves and the meaning and purpose shine through.

Bling – shiny things, add ons, clutter, well that could only get in the way of powerful, confident writing.

Couldn’t it?

Because then I started to doubt myself. I started to think about what we’d been talking about this month. About finding your voice, speaking from the heart, writing the way that you want, not caring what anybody else thinks, switching off that internal editor.

Finding the courage to hear yourself sing.

And I thought about writers that I love to follow, that I enjoy reading, that wake me up, make me smile, get me crying on occasion over my cornflakes, and I thought about the things that they add to their writing. Some of their signature strengths. Brevity done to a fine art. A running internal commentary to make us smile, creating a bridge to another person’s world. One line power packed paragraphs. Using words like “heart” (happily, freely) when most of us hold back, half-hearted.

And I started to wonder: isn’t this what we mean by writing with confidence?

Adding your twists, your words, your way. Your signature tune. Your writing bling.

And don’t we just love it when you do?

Comments

1. Jeanne Dininni says:

What a great post, Joanna! Finding our own individual voice is, after all, a huge part of what confident writing is all about-whatever we choose to call it!

So sorry I haven’t been making it by your blog very much lately! I’ve been so outrageously busy that I haven’t been “making the rounds” of all my favorite blogs as often as I’d like! And I really miss it! I miss out on so many great posts that way and then have to do my best to catch up later!

Take care!
    Jeanne

2. Robert Hruzek says:

I guess when I see what you mean. “Bling”, when seen on someone’s clothes, cell phone or car is usually an expression of someone’s personality. So in the same way, those little tell-tales that say “this had to be written by so-and-so” fill the same role. Hey, good one, Joanna!

3. Troy Worman says:

What Bob said. And thank you.

4. Joanna Young

Jeanne, hi, I know what it’s like when you get too busy to check in on things - it can feel quite overwhelming trying to catch up again. It’s good to hear from you though - whenever you can make it is just fine :-)

The more I think about it, the more I think what we’ve been looking at this month is finding your individual voice. It’s a big question - but it’s one that really matters to us as writers - and as human beings.

Will be coming back to this again in the next day or so.

5. Joanna Young

Robert, yes, that’s right. It’s linked to the picture you had on your post - the seal of authenticity. What is it that makes me know it’s you?

And also as Jeanne says - it’s something to do with confidence. Being prepared to go out there and sing - loud. It’s something I’m still learning to do myself - with some encouragement from those who take us gently out of our comfort zones :-)

6. Joanna Young

Troy - my pleasure. And thank you for gracing our orbit :-)

7. Robert Hruzek says:

Hey your comment about Troy: “brevity to a fine art” is perfect! Especially after his two-word entry to “What I Learned from Vacations” a few months back :-D

8. Joanna Young

Robert - absolutely. In fact it was from that very piece that I first learned about Troy’s work, and mastery of the art of brevity :-)

9. [...] myself writing this one - but if we’re talking about writing with confidence why not add some bling? Because what we’re talking about is: finding your voice, speaking from the heart, writing [...]

10. [...] and inspiration from Elvis, Dolly Parton, Bruce Springsteen, Irish country music singers, rappers, and rock [...]